39%
I dont target them at all / they are just bycatch
14%

Total votes: 28

Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Re: Do you target Australian Salmon?

Post by Irishfisherman » Sat May 09, 2020 5:23 pm

I wish I could confidently target them, love catching and eating them. I mainly fish out from Frankston and its very rare to see a bust up. Last year I was out on the kayak and the water started frothing, with birds diving everywhere. The only lure I had was a small mepps spinner, cast it out and straight away I was on. I later found out they were feeding on juvenile garfish, one of the salmon had nine in its stomach. One of the most memorable moments from the kayak, wish I could catch more of them.

dmck
Has liked: 35 times

Post by dmck » Sat May 09, 2020 9:56 pm

I'm with retyred...

fun to catch and with the right preparation, one of the best to eat.

I had a professional chef argue with me that "it's not salmon" til I prepared one from scratch and cooked it, all in front of him.
His reply..

" I watched you clean it, I watched you cook it... and I ate it.... and its still not salmon"

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Sat May 09, 2020 10:26 pm

I don,t mind the taste,always looking for new ways to try, have picked up on a couple here.
Would like to see Carman,s mate,s mornay and any other genuine recipes.
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Sun May 10, 2020 8:16 am

If I see a bust up with 50 boats in the middle of it and I literally just drive past. I have no interest in them whats so ever. If i catch one as by catch i may keep it for snapper bait but thats about it.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun May 10, 2020 10:59 am

Irishfisherman wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:23 pm
I wish I could confidently target them, love catching and eating them. I mainly fish out from Frankston and its very rare to see a bust up. Last year I was out on the kayak and the water started frothing, with birds diving everywhere. The only lure I had was a small mepps spinner, cast it out and straight away I was on. I later found out they were feeding on juvenile garfish, one of the salmon had nine in its stomach. One of the most memorable moments from the kayak, wish I could catch more of them.
They are not very hard to target mate.
Franskton pier will soon start to see some salmon
Tgeres a gutter to the right if the pier that holds them when they are around.
Troll around the area and you should be into em. Then start casting plastics once you have found them, if they are not busting up already.
If you have a good sounder then use it, I will never fish without mine when chasing them.

Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Post by Irishfisherman » Sun May 10, 2020 11:29 am

purple5ive wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:59 am
Irishfisherman wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:23 pm
They are not very hard to target mate.
Franskton pier will soon start to see some salmon
Tgeres a gutter to the right if the pier that holds them when they are around.
Troll around the area and you should be into em. Then start casting plastics once you have found them, if they are not busting up already.
If you have a good sounder then use it, I will never fish without mine when chasing them.
Do you use hardbodies or plastics for trolling? And what weight jig heads do you use when casting.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun May 10, 2020 12:03 pm

Plastic (paddle tails not minnows) or hards doesn't matter even the halco twisty slice will do. It's just an extra measure to find them.
Jighead depends on weatger and current. If no wind I will use 1/8th . If the fish are flighty then heavier jighead so I can cast from further away to them.
If they are around soon you won't have problem catching them trust me.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun May 10, 2020 12:17 pm

Target no. If a school just happens to be there then a couple are donged on the head for bait

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon May 11, 2020 7:22 pm

Blue wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:26 pm
I don,t mind the taste,always looking for new ways to try, have picked up on a couple here.
Would like to see Carman,s mate,s mornay and any other genuine recipes.
Blue
G'day Blue

Don's Australian Salmon Mornay is a "what ever veggies you have" type of meal. And measurements are a bit "casual". He knows how it should turn out and adds/adjusts as he goes. This is as best as I can interpret his describing of his cooking of the dish.

Season (Don uses simple Salt to start with) and partly cook, fry (or steam if you wish but Don fries) the Chunky Diced Australian Salmon Fillet, then set aside. The remainder of the cooking of the Salmon is done in the baking of the Mornay.

Then in a pan, a little oil with a nob of butter, fry some diced Bacon (couple of rashers), then add sliced Spring Onions and fry/sweat off. Add and sweat off diced veggies (normally Carrots, Cauli, Broccoli , , , , but anything you like).

Once veggies are sweated/softened add some flour (thickening agent) and fry off. It goes "claggy". Then add milk, slowly at a time stirring constantly as you go, to make it a white creamy sauce.

This is the vague bit as Don knows the consistency he is after and adds as he sees. BUT extrapolating (I love that word) Anth's measurements for a white sauace (that I struggle with) is a great measure and seems about right with what Don does (which I used Anth's measurements when I made Pasticchio last time and came up shmick :tu: )

For every 10 grams of Butter, add 10 grams of Flour, and 100 mls of milk is fool proof So it goes to say, the nob of butter in the beginning needs to be a measured amount for how much milk you are needing for the amount you are cooking. Normally about 500-600 ml for a modest family serve, hence 50 g Butter, 50 g Flour, 500 ml Milk. You can use a tub of Thickened Cream in-lieu of some of the Milk to add more creaminess and flavour.

Once the Creamy sauce is done, add the partly cooked Australian Salmon, frozen Peas (yum) and any other frozen veg as you wish. . IF you wish add a seasoning you like too. Don is a Camper & 4x4er, and one very simple seasoning he loves using in a lot of dishes is , , , , a sachet of French Onion Soup (or part there of).

French Onion.JPG
French Onion.JPG (27.18 KiB) Viewed 2476 times

Stir in a sprinkle of Parmesan Cheese and a cheeky sprinkle of Mozzarella Cheese, and then top with some Mozzarella too.

Place in a Baking dish, bake in the oven for 30-40 mins (180)

Then, Bon appetite :-D

Cheers, Bugs (Don's Apprentice)

ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

Post by ChrisTaylor » Tue May 12, 2020 12:33 pm

I do. I mostly fish Frankston pier, and they're often lurking about. The smaller and mid-sized models are fun to catch-and-release with light gear. I keep them every so often (for food, not bait). I target them on soft plastics. They're not too fussy. A paddletail minnow? A bright-coloured worm? When they're in a feeding frenzy they don't seem to care.

Return to “Australian Salmon Fishing”