Need help getting into landbased sambos.

Aussie Salmon, Bay Trout, all info for Australian Salmon
zardez

Re: Need help getting into landbased sambos.

Post by zardez » Sun May 11, 2014 5:49 pm

How much mainline do I need? 100m 300m? 1000m?

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun May 11, 2014 6:03 pm

zardez wrote:How much mainline do I need? 100m 300m? 1000m?
How much do you want?

100m, is ok in most situations, but for that fish of a life time, maybe 300m.

The only time you'll need a 1000m is when catch a marlin or bluefin land based.

Some land based fisho's will use more than 300 metres, are those who fish for sharks.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Sun May 11, 2014 6:39 pm

I was seeing the backing with my casts on Friday morning with the wind behind my back. 20lb line, 4000 size shimano sedona reel. I don't know how much line was on there in the first place (guessing around 100m), but I had it respooled on the way home with 200m of 15lb, after having the backing stripped down to where the spool base was almost visible.

kabo

Post by kabo » Sun May 11, 2014 6:45 pm

zardez wrote:Cheers for clearing that up everyone! Really appreciate the hasty replies, now to put on my big boy panties and brave the cold.

how did you go braving the cold ? :cold: Thanks for this great topic - I was just thinking I should try something different and since it seems to be salmon time of the year, I might try these tips.

Would this all work just as well from a PPB beach? or better off driving down to Anglesea or somewhere like it?

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sun May 11, 2014 6:51 pm

zardez wrote:How much mainline do I need? 100m 300m? 1000m?
5kg braid, you'll end up with about 300mtrs on the spool of a shimano 4000 size reel, use it until it starts going wooly, then turn it around. Thats my normal procedure.

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Sun May 11, 2014 6:57 pm

kabo wrote:
zardez wrote:Cheers for clearing that up everyone! Really appreciate the hasty replies, now to put on my big boy panties and brave the cold.

how did you go braving the cold ? :cold: Thanks for this great topic - I was just thinking I should try something different and since it seems to be salmon time of the year, I might try these tips.

Would this all work just as well from a PPB beach? or better off driving down to Anglesea or somewhere like it?
Where abouts are you based..?

kabo

Post by kabo » Sun May 11, 2014 7:01 pm

CarlG wrote:
kabo wrote:

Brunswick - totally urban :lolf: I usually find Brighton a bit far, but that might also be because of the fruitless trips I've had....I'm sure if I had been catching a few pinkies or flathead I would've loved the drive ;) I'm only in Melbourne for a couple of 2 more weeks, than it's off to Canberra. I need to get a fish before then!

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Sun May 11, 2014 7:06 pm

kabo wrote:
CarlG wrote:
kabo wrote:

Brunswick - totally urban :lolf: I usually find Brighton a bit far, but that might also be because of the fruitless trips I've had....I'm sure if I had been catching a few pinkies or flathead I would've loved the drive ;) I'm only in Melbourne for a couple of 2 more weeks, than it's off to Canberra. I need to get a fish before then!
If you can put up with the drive, the ocean beaches, gunnamatta down to Portsea, look favourable this week, big northerlies, low swell..until the weekend, where the swell looks massive.. (4mtrs according to WW..).

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun May 11, 2014 7:11 pm

CarlG wrote:
kabo wrote:
CarlG wrote: If you can put up with the drive, the ocean beaches, gunnamatta down to Portsea, look favourable this week, big northerlies, low swell..until the weekend, where the swell looks massive.. (4mtrs according to WW..).

My WW says swell of 1.4 metres on Friday, then falling off.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sun May 11, 2014 8:05 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
CarlG wrote:
kabo wrote:
CarlG wrote: If you can put up with the drive, the ocean beaches, gunnamatta down to Portsea, look favourable this week, big northerlies, low swell..until the weekend, where the swell looks massive.. (4mtrs according to WW..).

My WW says swell of 1.4 metres on Friday, then falling off.
so does mine
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Return to “Australian Salmon Fishing”