Flounder on fire!

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
skuxliss

Flounder on fire!

Post by skuxliss » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:22 am

Had some time yesterday in the morning to do a bit of fishing, this time did some more flounder fishing. Got up at 2am and went with 2 mates down to Seaford. Was a good session, we had burley up and was walking through knee deep, had a spear and hand line, went old school with the handline using a bottle and loved it. Was surprised at how much came out. All in we had about 30 flounder above 25cm range, took them back and gave most of them out to friends and family.
Attachments
01.jpeg

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: Flounder on fire!

Post by hornet » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:37 am

skuxliss wrote:Had some time yesterday in the morning to do a bit of fishing, this time did some more flounder fishing. Got up at 2am and went with 2 mates down to Seaford. Was a good session, we had burley up and was walking through knee deep, had a spear and hand line, went old school with the handline using a bottle and loved it. Was surprised at how much came out. All in we had about 30 flounder above 25cm range, took them back and gave most of them out to friends and family.
Top effort skuxliss ! What do you mean by:

"we had burley up"

" went old school with the handline using a bottle and loved it. " ??

I've done floundering before but I'm totally lost with that comment.. cheers.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

matt1991

Post by matt1991 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:39 am

Awesome job!

skuxliss

Post by skuxliss » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:45 am

hornet wrote:
skuxliss wrote:Had some time yesterday in the morning to do a bit of fishing, this time did some more flounder fishing. Got up at 2am and went with 2 mates down to Seaford. Was a good session, we had burley up and was walking through knee deep, had a spear and hand line, went old school with the handline using a bottle and loved it. Was surprised at how much came out. All in we had about 30 flounder above 25cm range, took them back and gave most of them out to friends and family.

"we had burley up"

Hey mate, burley up meaning we had tied to our ankles as we're wading through the water creating a trail like so the sand kicks it up as well for the bottom feeders to fish on. Used this method in NZ for Eeling and Flounder as well.

I used a beer bottle, wrapped the line around the body of the bottle holding it by the neck.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:55 am

Nice report mate! Good to see other people also targeting flounders! That's a big haul! I have never got that many in a single session before! Well done :)

hornet

Post by hornet » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:37 am

skuxliss wrote:
hornet wrote:

"we had burley up"

Hey mate, burley up meaning we had tied to our ankles as we're wading through the water creating a trail like so the sand kicks it up as well for the bottom feeders to fish on. Used this method in NZ for Eeling and Flounder as well.

I used a beer bottle, wrapped the line around the body of the bottle holding it by the neck.
Thx for the explanation ! I've never heard of that trick before. ! :thumbsup:

Buckle&scream

Post by Buckle&scream » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:34 pm

Very impressive mate all on hand lines no spear! Wow what a haul!! Good fishing!

hornet

Post by hornet » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:54 pm

Buckle&scream wrote:Very impressive mate all on hand lines no spear! Wow what a haul!! Good fishing!
I think you have miss-read the post...

Buckle&scream

Post by Buckle&scream » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:14 pm

hornet wrote:
Buckle&scream wrote:Very impressive mate all on hand lines no spear! Wow what a haul!! Good fishing!
I think you have miss-read the post...
I think I did, so a spear was used?? What's the bottle for? was it you were dragging the bottle along the sand to kick up the sand and that's what attracted the flounder then you speared them?? How would you see properly if you made the water murky? This sounds like a bit of an art must be very old school I've never heared of it.

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:49 pm

Awesome catch there looks like its well worth a try.
Cast, catch and put it back

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”