Right Bait?????

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
socrates6666

Right Bait?????

Post by socrates6666 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:04 pm

I know this is a frequent toppic but i seem to be fishing at all the same places other people are at but having no luck, Altona, Port melbourme, Mordialoc, sandringham yaht club but for some reason i seem to be the only person not catching, is it my bait??? I am using pilchards, calamari and whiting, I heard Salmon or machrel is the go. I fish at all times high tide low tide morning night dusk dawn, you name it, at least 3 times per week.

garfish001

Re: Right Bait?????

Post by garfish001 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:30 pm

socrates6666 wrote:I know this is a frequent toppic but i seem to be fishing at all the same places other people are at but having no luck, Altona, Port melbourme, Mordialoc, sandringham yaht club but for some reason i seem to be the only person not catching, is it my bait??? I am using pilchards, calamari and whiting, I heard Salmon or machrel is the go. I fish at all times high tide low tide morning night dusk dawn, you name it, at least 3 times per week.
Do You loose any Bait? If so may be your rig (size of hooks, sinker etc..) and even the way you present your bait,...
And mate, I've been fishing PPB & WPB for the last 16 years (Land Based), I'v been very lucky but sometimes not, for the last 6 weeks I've had 8 fishless trips :( , the point is the You keep trying, The last few weeks weren't the best time for fishing (except for salmon and occasionlly gars), so don't loose hope & keep trying.
few more hot days like today will bring the snapper closer, so good luck :thumbsup:

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:34 pm

from my experience:

1. fresh is best. When my cala is no longer translucent, they are burley, not bait. Pink cala is rotten and goes to the burley bucket.
2. Slimy Mackerel fillet soaked in salt tops most frozen baits.
3. Most fish swallow their prey head first. If you are using whole pillies, make sure one hook is on the head and one close to the mid section or tail.
4. change of tide is best
5. bad weather is best for land based snapper. Find the most turbulent water and expect some action.
6. Big bait = big fish, well majority of times. Small bait = small fish and big fish
7. lighter leader seems to produce more fish
8. BE QUIET! no shouting, no radio.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

socrates6666

Post by socrates6666 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:10 pm

Thanks guys, you know those bait buckets at servos should i be taking mackerel from there and do they usually have salmon or should i spend a day fishing for salmon out and port melbourne?
Anyone wanna give out some hot spots ;)

minimal

Post by minimal » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:18 pm

I know bugger all about fishing really (about three or four weeks since I started!) But what I would say, is that the fishing in PPB seems to be erratic so far and even the experienced fishermen seem to be frequently drawing blanks.

I've sat on packed piers at Brighton and Lagoon Pier for hours and seen nobody pull out a fish.

So with that in mind, I'd probably stick to the usual baits touted about and stick at it. That's my plan, at least!

For what it's worth, I've only caught three small fish (pinkie and two Australian Salmon) - all of these were caught on Blue Bait. The guys catching decent sized snapper seem to reference pilchards the most though, but I'm sure all sorts is used.

Also, I think it's probably all psychological, but if I'm happy with how I've presented the bait on the hook (almost never - I suck at it), that's when I seem to get a nibble.

Good luck.

cantevencatchacold
Has liked: 30 times

Post by cantevencatchacold » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:00 pm

Ha! You should try following me :D . Better luck for next time.

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”