Land based gummy report

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
junior
Has liked: 58 times

Land based gummy report

Post by junior » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:42 pm

Went out a couple of nights ago.
We live on the PPB side so don't get out to western port much at all but after too many quiet nights hunting whiting and snapper, we decided to switch it up and make the trek over for gummies. We like to try different spots for a bit of adventure, so flipped through the western port guide and decided to have our first crack at Lang Lang.

We pulled into the car park as the sun was setting and the tide on the run in, so we were pretty excited and confident that we could be on tonight.
Taking a peek over the dune, we were shocked at how many rods were in the water. I guess the car park looked a little busy as we drove in but the beach was surprisingly packed. A little disappointing to be honest, as I like it quieter but on the flip side you have to think to yourself well if they're here, maybe this is 'the' spot.

We found a patch of sand for ourselves and got set up. The conditions looked good and what a sight the beach was at sunset. No better place to be.

Fishing with a combo of rigs and bait (squid, saury, pilchards), it was all too quiet unfortunately in what should have been the peak gummy time.
The tide was now running out when we noticed a flurry of headlamp activity down the beach so I went for a jog to check it out. My mate and I love to catch but we also enjoy it when someone else is on. Bumped into a couple of local guys on the way who took the time to have a chat which was great. One of them had caught a decent mullaway recently however this night was quiet for all and with the tide now well in to run out the locals were calling it and pulling up stumps. Within 10, everyone was gone. On the way out, someone gives it some stick and we hear the distinct 'ting ting ting' as stones hit the car - thanks boys...

We come close to calling it too but we're too stubborn and so settled in for a couple more 'last casts' and a cuppa.
Time moves and it's still quiet, so with the car close by we decided to start making a few trips to get the gear back in to make the final disappointing pack-down less of a chore.

My mate makes his final trip to the car so with bag of chips in hand, I walk up to the rod thinking "****, not again" and I'm about to grab it when I notice the rod tip drop suddenly and the bell sitting at the end tinkles, snapping me awake. The night fisherman all know this exciting sound! I stare up, thinking "surely not?" It goes once more and the bag of chips hit the deck. Grab the rod and yep we're on. It feels like a gummy but it's been a while and I pray like never before that it's not a ray. It fights hard (I'm unfit) but I make progress for a while when suddenly it gets heavy like a snag.

The mud flats. We couldn't believe how far they now stretched as the tide ran out. The fish is now out of the water but I've got to bring it in across the mud. My mate tries venturing out to pick it up but very quickly realises it's far too dangerous and we don't know this area at all. I'm pumped and all I can think about is getting sight on this thing, but my mate wonders if it is a ray or banjo - how are we going to put it back in the water? Good call for future reference.

The fish finally hits the light of the headlamps and it's a gummy! 105cm. We couldn't weigh it properly but with a clumsy attempt on bathroom scales it was at least 5kg. Caught on pilchard with head cut off with a 5/0 octopus circle. Fixed sinker, not running.

Always give it a last cast... or 3! haha

1a.jpg
2a.jpg
3a.jpg

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: Land based gummy report

Post by Mattblack » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:55 pm

Great report. Never seen a gummy bled in-between it's eyes like that before...is it more effective cutting it's 'neck'?

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:10 pm

:sr: bag of chips hit the deck.

Great report. :vy:
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

junior
Has liked: 58 times

Post by junior » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:20 pm

Thanks mate. I saw your post about lack of reports so thought I better put one in! :-D

First cut didn't really do the job as it was the knife point driven straight into the top of head. Was tough to get through the skull there, so gave it a deeper cut further forward which did the trick. Knife in and down. We don't get out often for the gummies so this was trial and error. While prepping for the trip out my mate had just watched a vid on bleeding & filleting them hence the cut at the tail end. Barely any blood let out from that cut so I think we have to do a bit of research there but the meat was perfect so I wonder if it's needed.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:52 pm

Good stuff lads and well done on the gummy shark.
Just be aware on how you measure gummies for future reference.
It's not the same as measuring normal fish.
Gummies are measured from the last gill to the start of the tail. And a minimum size of that measurement should be 45cm
Everything you need to know about how to measure them is in the victorian fisheries app. I suggest you download it asap if you already have done so.

I enjoyed the read
Thanks for sharing, tight lines.
Cheers

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:15 pm

Wow! What an effort! Well done.
I was so close to go to Lang Lang on the weekend passed.
Wouldn't have a clue it would be packed.
So you caught that gummy probably on the lowest or the low tide. It would've been only about a meter water.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:18 am

junior wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:20 pm
Thanks mate. I saw your post about lack of reports so thought I better put one in! :-D

First cut didn't really do the job as it was the knife point driven straight into the top of head. Was tough to get through the skull there, so gave it a deeper cut further forward which did the trick. Knife in and down. We don't get out often for the gummies so this was trial and error. While prepping for the trip out my mate had just watched a vid on bleeding & filleting them hence the cut at the tail end. Barely any blood let out from that cut so I think we have to do a bit of research there but the meat was perfect so I wonder if it's needed.
Well done!....Gummies are one of the best tasting fish going around if you bleed them right (bloody awful if you dont).
Everyone does it differently, but I cut through the spine near the end of the tail and the back of its head. I also run the knife through the gills for good measure (probably overkill, but does the trick)

GusG
Has liked: 41 times

Post by GusG » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:59 am

Great read and top catch. Gotta love that 'one last cast'. As a fisho when you you've had a day of donuts is there anything more hopeful than the last cast. You look at your bait/lure, talk to it, cast it in just the 'right' spot then send all your positive vibes along the rod to the water, say all your prayers to the fish gods, promise if you get a fish you will be a better person, you will create world peace and visit your mum more. When nothing happens you wind in disheartened, cursing the gods and telling them to get stuffed. Then a quick sneaky look, your mate is busy packing and isn't watching so you sneak another 'one last cast' and repeat the process. Or is that just me......

MasterBaiter24
Has liked: 36 times

Post by MasterBaiter24 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:09 am

Nice catch, good stuff for sticking it out

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:26 am

Nice report and pics!