Sorrento pier 5-2-20

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Sorrento pier 5-2-20

Post by mazman » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:20 pm

Hey guys,

Went down to sorrento pier for an evening session with Niroj and decided not to film, terrible decision.

I had an egi rod and a ultra light outfit with me and Niroj had the same but also had a heavy rod for spinning for larger salmon. I started off with a slim swim on the lighter rod just slow rolling it working around the pier and Niroj spinning for salmon. 4 casts in I had a bump on the plastic and then a solid connection to a tommie.

After this Niroj quickly grabbed his light outfit that was rigged with a little aji plastic, neither of us are sure what it is, and joined in the action.

After pulling in a few more tommies I had a hit that loaded the rod up but then didn't do much, I was pretty confused and then felt the distinct pulse of a squid. Got the net out for this one and manged to land a squid hooked under its hood with a plastic.

We stayed on the school of tommies fan casting in the area we had found them and got into a lot of fish and started experimenting with different techniques. It was crazy and amongst it all a bait fisherman on the pier came up and started abusing us for keeping undersized salmon and didn't want to hear anything about tommie rough and salmon being different species and even accused us of fishing without a licence which put a bit of a dampener on the session but we went back to catching tommies and eventually started releasing them as Niroj had enough bait for his upcoming surf fishing escapades. By this stage we were walking plastics just under the surface of the water for visual takes and weren't fussed if the fish made it on to the pier or dropped off, it was utter madness but like all good things it eventually came to an end.

This lead us to pick up the egi rods because we suspected the squid were lurking under the tommies and it didn't take long for the squid to start hitting the deck with a natural silver foil that Niroj was using to represent the tommies was picking off squid everywhere.

However as the sun started to get lower in the sky the squid started to favour the translucent red of my harimitsu ewc.

We kept working the squid jigs and started have some others on the pier trying to crowd the area we were in and casting over our lines trying to get in on the action to not much avail. We were picking up the majority of our squid out very wide with only the occasional smaller model in close and working this deeper water with fast sinking large jigs really paid off when a few larger squid pushed through the area and I picked off a couple of squid with hoods in the high 20s, nothing huge but better than the standard summer squid.

As the sun dropped over the horizon it was time for Niroj and I to leave as we both had things to do the next morning and had caught plenty for the evening. Final tally was 17 squid and an estimate of around 30 tommie rough landed with the majority released in two and a half hours on the pier. This session to me really highlighted the effectiveness of a proper egi rod and jigging technique for catching squid as Niroj and I were the only two using this technique and finished on 17 between us with the remaining 6 squid fisherman on the pier finishing on 4 squid and a cuttle combined.

Thanks for reading,

Cheers Alex

Ps. to the grumpy bait fisherman who decided to abuse us, next time you see some blokes rock up and start catching fish when you haven't caught anything, strike up a friendly conversation. Myself and plenty of others are happy to give a few tips about what we're doing to get onto the fish that day.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

samjas1316
Has liked: 47 times

Re: Sorrento pier 5-2-20

Post by samjas1316 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:22 pm

Great report Alex. Been meaning to head down to the peninsula piers for a while.

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:01 am

Excellent session had mate, love when the Tommys come out to play in big numbers. It's great that you kept your cool with that nuisance of a jealous fisho, seen too many unnecessary fights over practically nothing. Man those squids look amazing, plenty crumb rings between the two of you, enjoy it mate :ch:

saph
Has liked: 4 times

Post by saph » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:43 am

Nice report, next time a bunch of them come up and harras you best thing is to record it (gopro and chest mount would work and cashies have them cheap for older models) and tell them they are free to call fisherys and file a false report and let it back fire since they do ask for the callers name and number.

Also not to be THAT person but just a reminder that squid have a 10 bag limit https://vfa.vic.gov.au/recreational-fis ... cuttlefish so if they did call fisherys they could have fined you.

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:46 am

17 squid and 30 tommies in 2.5 hrs, great session!

When you say proper egi technique, what is it? As in the retrieve etc? Apart from proper egi rod ofc.

Haters gonna hate. He didn't want to listen coz all he wanted was to hate. Oh well, you didn't do anything wrong.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:47 am

saph wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:43 am
Nice report, next time a bunch of them come up and harras you best thing is to record it (gopro and chest mount would work and cashies have them cheap for older models) and tell them they are free to call fisherys and file a false report and let it back fire since they do ask for the callers name and number.

Also not to be THAT person but just a reminder that squid have a 10 bag limit https://vfa.vic.gov.au/recreational-fis ... cuttlefish so if they did call fisherys they could have fined you.
10 per person.
17 between two of them.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

saph
Has liked: 4 times

Post by saph » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:59 am

Seb85 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:47 am
saph wrote:

10 per person.
17 between two of them.
i know, its more if they came and say only one person was there they would get in trouble.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:38 am

saph wrote:

Rubbish.

I think you need to take the time to get to know some of the main contributors of the forum and read and understand the report a little better :tu: .

Both Alex and Niroj would know their bag limits and would even offer advice to someone that didn't, or needed help.
They had a combined total of 17 squid out of an allowed 20 for 2 ppl, so no fine would have been issued.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:03 am

Good job guys.. thats a great landbased session.
cheers

Aimless
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Aimless » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:41 am

You can see that's a Tommy from a mile away! Those other guys sound like jokers.

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”