Crabs Galore

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
Mitwil01
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Crabs Galore

Post by Mitwil01 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:34 pm

I thought I might just ask this here since it has few people tagged in it already.

https://vfa.vic.gov.au/recreational-fis ... hore-crabs
Outside of restricted areas:1 litre or a combined total of 30 whole or parts of crab from one or more species.
This bag limit does not apply to purchased bait.

I am guessing 'outside a restricted area' is in the usual places outside Marine National Parks and Sanctuaries.

I can't get my head around the '1 litre or a combined total of 30 whole or parts....'

When it says 1 litre, does it mean what would fit into a 1 litre container? Or is it talking about the weight of crab in proportion to the weight of presumable one litre of water (1 kg or there about).

I can understand '30 whole or parts...', but does it mean if I have 15 crabs and they weigh about the same as 1 litre/1 kg, do I have my catch? The limit on numbers is obviously to limit the number of crabs being fished.

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Re: Crabs Galore

Post by eddyt » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:01 pm

Mitwil01 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:34 pm
I thought I might just ask this here since it has few people tagged in it already.

https://vfa.vic.gov.au/recreational-fis ... hore-crabs
Outside of restricted areas:1 litre or a combined total of 30 whole or parts of crab from one or more species.
This bag limit does not apply to purchased bait.

I am guessing 'outside a restricted area' is in the usual places outside Marine National Parks and Sanctuaries.

I can't get my head around the '1 litre or a combined total of 30 whole or parts....'

When it says 1 litre, does it mean what would fit into a 1 litre container? Or is it talking about the weight of crab in proportion to the weight of presumable one litre of water (1 kg or there about).

I can understand '30 whole or parts...', but does it mean if I have 15 crabs and they weigh about the same as 1 litre/1 kg, do I have my catch? The limit on numbers is obviously to limit the number of crabs being fished.
Its how many crabs can fit into a 1litre container. Its more for small shore crabs so you don't have to count them all. The key word is "or" which means you can use the measure that gives you the most. For sand crabs that means you can take 30 because 1litre is only what can fit in a small ice cream tub.

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”