Spots between Glen Waverley to Bayswater North

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
dazza555

Spots between Glen Waverley to Bayswater North

Post by dazza555 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:30 pm

What a year it's been, haven't had a chance for a good fish in a while but with a new job and new location I'm in need of some help. Previously I worked just 10mins off the Brighton beach area so a sneaky fish after work was easy but now I work up in Bayswater North and I know nothing of the area.

I'm looking for some fishing spots10-20mins out of the way on a line between Glen Waverley and Bayswater North for a sneaky fish during the week after work. I have some freshwater experience but any tips or tricks for the area will be greatly appreciated. You can always learn. :ch:

Troy McLure
Has liked: 140 times

Re: Spots between Glen Waverley to Bayswater North

Post by Troy McLure » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:38 pm

Dandenong creek at Heathmont has plenty of carp if that’s your thing. Not a lot of options that I can think of. Just carp and more carp.

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:03 pm

Yep mate - dandy creek and carp is about all you'll get an option for. There may be the occasional reddie in there

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:25 pm

I live locally.

Dandy creek is ok but can be incredibly frustrating.

Tim Neville Arboretum is absolutely FULL of carp.

Rowville lakes go ok when they've been stocked before the white bucket brigade clean them out.

I keep hearing about fish in Jells Park lake, but having been in the area since the 80s I've never actually seen anyone pull anything out other than eels.

The wetlands behind the Eastlink servo have redfin and carp. same deal for carribean lake if you can even still get in there.

There are quite a few little lakes hidden in housing / business estates which you can actually fish. Some of them have some decently sized carp in them. If you scroll through google maps on map mode, just look for any patch of blue, then use the satellite image to see if you can actually get there, if it looks like you can, go and have a look.

Cam and I have seen big carp in tiny lakes only a foot deep and maybe 20m across. It's worth the explore if you don't have access to transport or don't want to travel far.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:58 pm

Is TNA back up? Last I heard it was completely drained, but yeah it used to be full of carp.

I've caught redfin in Jells Park Lake before. Rowville has redfin too. Use small SPs, pulled a few big ones (30cm+) from both lakes before.

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:30 am

eddyt wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:58 pm
Is TNA back up? Last I heard it was completely drained, but yeah it used to be full of carp.
They drained it I think in 2017? It's certainly full of water as of about 4 months ago.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:31 am

DougieK wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:30 am
eddyt wrote:
They drained it I think in 2017? It's certainly full of water as of about 4 months ago.
Have carp returned, dougie ????

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:27 am

Texas wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:31 am
DougieK wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:30 am
eddyt wrote:
Have carp returned, dougie ????
Yes. If you walk very quietly along the raised walkways there at night you can watch them nosing the surface.

Not always a great place to be in the dark on your own though.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:59 pm

Went to TNA today. There's only really the 1 spot that's fishable in the top lake because everywhere else is overgrown with bushes or the water is just weed. The bottom lake doesn't really have any open areas.

I can confirm there are carp there though. But it's so shallow that they make waves when swimming around. One swam right up to my feet before realising that I'm not a duck and made a run for it. Also saw a good number of bright orange goldfish cruising around, a turtle poking its head out, and lots of ducklings. I did have a bit of a go with some corn and I could see carp swimming near where I cast, but no takers today.

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:21 pm

eddyt wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:59 pm
Went to TNA today. There's only really the 1 spot that's fishable in the top lake because everywhere else is overgrown with bushes or the water is just weed. The bottom lake doesn't really have any open areas.

I can confirm there are carp there though. But it's so shallow that they make waves when swimming around. One swam right up to my feet before realising that I'm not a duck and made a run for it. Also saw a good number of bright orange goldfish cruising around, a turtle poking its head out, and lots of ducklings. I did have a bit of a go with some corn and I could see carp swimming near where I cast, but no takers today.
When I found myself in the unfortunate position of targeting carp for the species comp, I was using a teeeeeny bit of bread on the smallest hook possible, and literally just dropping it into the carps mouth. The bottom lake is absolutely FULL of fish.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”