Land Based Fishing in Port Fairy

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
Jucfishing

Land Based Fishing in Port Fairy

Post by Jucfishing » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:14 am

Hey all,
I’m in port fairy for a week and am looking to do some land based fishing. I brought down my light spin rod and beach rod. I was hoping to get onto some bream and hopefully some whiting or pinkies but don’t really know where to start. Any tips on where to go and what bait and tackle to use?
Cheers

Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Re: Land Based Fishing in Port Fairy

Post by Charles7 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:25 am

It's been a few years since I last fished down that way but I've had some success fishing along the boardwalk that runs from near Martin's Point up to the footbridge. I would just drop my line around the moored boats and pylons and catch mullet, trevally, a few bream and bay trout. A running sinker rig baited with prawns or pipis usually did the job. There used to be plenty of KGW and parrotfish to catch off the little pier at Martin's Point itself as well, same tactics as mentioned above.

benders
Has liked: 169 times

Re: Land Based Fishing in Port Fairy

Post by benders » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:13 pm

As per charles7 said. I was there September 2019 and the boardwalk was pretty good for a bunch of stuff. Mullet, bream etc. I did spend one night at the end of the breakwater with the surf rod and got onto a monster eel and lost plenty of bait to some other stuff. I’m a bit lazy so just used chicken and bought squid on a paternoster rig.
Port Fairy is a lovely spot.

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”