Why can't I catch anything

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Re: Why can't I catch anything

Post by Tim399 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:17 pm

Years ago I used to see Redfin swimming in the shallow clearer water at the weir around the pistol club

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Post by ben475 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:03 pm

also, try worms for bait. all the fish in there will eat them.

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:09 pm

Jonnomate wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:24 pm
Seniorfisho wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:10 pm
A lot depends on where you are fishing at Melton Res. If you want to use lures you need to go down to nice light rod and reel with some 6lb braid and leader, the same with soft plastics. Start with plastics, any paddle tails or grubs around the 3inch mark on a 1/16 jighead and start casting around the trees. First let the plastic hit the bottom and hop it back slowly along the bottom, if you get snagged a lot then don't let it hit the bottom, just retrieve the plastic really slowly back, if you still get snagged then retrieve the plastic back as soon as it hits the water so it is just a few feet under the water and you should be right over the snags. That';s a good starting point for you. P.S, I've seen a lot of people catch carp on corn dipped in something, mainly on a paternoster rig and also under a running float at Melton
Thanks that's the kind of detail I needed I think
That's how you find the snags that are holding fish, you have to lose a few plastics but if you get hits from that spot then chances are that the fish will be there next time you fish it also, just remember where you cast and how deep you let the lure sink in that spot. As Seb said, real early in the morning on a calm day you will see the schools of Reddies busting chasing minnows, just cast a plastic there and they will take it

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Post by russellh2 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:48 am

Try running sinker / Size 0 or 1/ 4LB Line / 500mm leader length. I always bait fish with bail arm open, get a bite let fish run until it stops and swallows bait, then close bail arm and gently lift rod to set hook, do not rip rig - been working for me for 50+ years = Good Luck.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:54 pm

mix up breadcrumbs and water add some maggots the mix needs to be able to mould some medium sixe ball shapes so when you throw it in the water when it hits the bottom will slowly disperse,When you first get to the area your going to fish ground bait that spot then set up your gear i use the brown colour berley cages fixed on the line with float stopper you can the adjust the hook lenght as you go fill berley caged with mixture as well dont pack it too tight add a couple of maggots on the hook i use size #12 long shank fly hooks remember to cast into the same place you have thrown your ground bait every now and then same with your berley cage look up course angling

Peanut
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Peanut » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:58 pm

Jonnomate wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:53 am
Thanks for the tips, I'll give bread a go. Anyone got some tips on retrieving lures for redfin?
I use a 2.5 Zman Curl tail Grub in Motor Oil colour. Cast out and just slow roll retrieve with the odd twitch. Try sunset, starting maybe one hour before dark. Look for little bust ups and cast to them.
Good luck mate 🤞

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:37 pm

dazz999 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:54 pm
mix up breadcrumbs and water add some maggots the mix needs to be able to mould some medium sixe ball shapes so when you throw it in the water when it hits the bottom will slowly disperse,When you first get to the area your going to fish ground bait that spot then set up your gear i use the brown colour berley cages fixed on the line with float stopper you can the adjust the hook lenght as you go fill berley caged with mixture as well dont pack it too tight add a couple of maggots on the hook i use size #12 long shank fly hooks remember to cast into the same place you have thrown your ground bait every now and then same with your berley cage look up course angling
It's a domestic water supply, you're not allowed to Burley

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”