Warmies Reports Here

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
Cuda
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Warmies Reports Here

Post by Cuda » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:38 pm

Hi Paul.
Welcome to the forum. I only fish the main channel around there, but not too often. Never seen a snapper caught there, but have seen some decent pinkies. To reach the channel, you don't have to cast too far out. As the channel wall is pretty steep, don't use sharp edged (star/pyramid) sinkers, as they snag the bottom easier.
When retrieving the rig, give it a good yank first off, and then wind in really quick, other wise you're dragging the rig up the channel wall and snag more often than not.
Don't try to cast into the middle of it, as predatory fish (especially at night) will chase the prey up against the wall/edge of the channel. You're chance of gummies and mulloway there as well. Not sure about the 7' rod. I fish there with 10'-10'6" rods.
Good luck.

paulmorris27

Post by paulmorris27 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:23 am

Great, thanks for that, really useful advice – what sort of weight do you have on your sinker, and how do you set it up – sinker above or below a swivel, or a drop rig? And how long would you typically have as a trace length?

Yeah, felt slightly emasculated at the size of other rods fishing near me, might need to reinvest…!!

Thanks again

Cuda
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Cuda » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:38 pm

You can use very light sinkers there as there's no strong current. Still put enough weight on so you can cast 20-30m if chasing snapper. Mullet, bream and smaller stuff are close in. I usually use paternoster for smaller fish and running sinker for bigger stuff. But that is no rule you have to follow. About 2-3' of trace if fishing with mono for bigger stuff. Longer with braid as main line.

Mesi1983

Post by Mesi1983 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:38 pm

Hey boys haven't been down to the warmies in a while has anyone been having much luck and in what area Ive been unlucky in past past few fisho trips so am really keen to get on to some nice fish (aren't we all) if anyone has any info and could help I'd appreciate it. Happy Easter

Donuts Macgee

Post by Donuts Macgee » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:50 am

G'day Mesi, I took the kids down to the Warmies last Friday (18 April) and got a stack of bites, but none caught. Probably says more about my abilities than anything else. Plenty of folk around me were landing pinkies, mostly under-sized, but some good ones amongst them.

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:38 pm

There's pinkies around 35cm mark if you're at the right time right place anywhere from warmies to docklands. Not in big numbers. Plenty of bait stealers.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:14 pm

Looking at hitting this area on my way down to Geetown for the long weekend first thing Thursday morning.

Aiming to have one heavy rod out with pillies or some kind of fillet bait, one light one in close with chicken or another small fillet and fire some lures around while I wait.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:18 pm

Sounds like a good plan, just fyi north of the westgate is considered 'inland waters' by fisheries so 2 rods only if fishing there. Also check your baits often due to the small pickers.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:20 pm

Newport park just downstream of the bridge looks good. Used to skate there years ago when they first built the place.

I always figured that if I was in an estuary then the saltwater rules would apply, Thanks for the heads up, that could have been expensive.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:50 am

You'll be ok with up to 4 rods there at Newport Park, good luck and let us know how you go.

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”