Altona area?

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
squidfacekillah

Altona area?

Post by squidfacekillah » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:14 pm

Hey, I've just moved to Melbourne from Adelaide to study and I'm currently living in the Altona area..

I'm keen to get out fishing somewhere locally area but I'm not too sure about the Altona pier, whether it's any good or what's around/what I could even target there. Does anybody on here fish around there for anything or is there a better jetty to hit up that's not too far from here?

I know I should get out there and find my own spots through some trial and error but I've only been here a week and I'm undertaking full time study so between that and homework, I don't really have time to go scouting, and with what little time I do have, I'd prefer to at least be fishing somewhere half decent..

any help would be extremely appreciated!

thanks!
Dom.

:r

Fish-Hunter

Re: Altona area?

Post by Fish-Hunter » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:17 pm

Altona pier has produced some great catches of Snapper for those that put in the hours & Calamari , there's always Flathead about & Garfish etc . But @ times its hard to get a good spot there & on hot evenings beware of trouble makers as goes with most inner city piers .. ;)

squidfacekillah

Post by squidfacekillah » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:01 pm

Thanks for the help, Miker! Might try for a couple squid in the morning and then use one for some bait, hopefully hit a couple flatheads or gar.. I've also got a few squidgie flick baits in pearl but I think they might be a bit big for anything around there. I was also told to give Newport a try, do you think the SP flick baits might go alright for whatever's around there?

vxcalais
Has liked: 3 times

Post by vxcalais » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:48 pm

I gave some sp's a shot today, but no avail, too much see weed in the water getting stuck on the jigheads and swivels.

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”