On board battery charger

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

On board battery charger

Post by Nude up » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:57 pm

I was lucky when i bought my boat it came with a installed battery charger, but i noticed one of the batteries was completly flat. To be fair i had noticed one battery was not as good as the other one.
I had already bought 2 new batteries ready to install which I did on Friday I then noticed the charger not working. So I pulled it out and did a bit of troubleshooting and found a capacitor blown.
A quick trip to Jaycar 65 cents for a new one unfortunately the charger was never designed to be repaired but I had nothing to lose. I removed the potting material and desoldered the one leg left of the capacitor and drilled out the other one. I managed to solder it to the board but it still didn't work .
16156111633311.jpg
Plan 2 I had to drive to sunshine the Jaycar there had a new marine onboard charger on special $159. The geelong one had no stock and nil stock at the warehouse. Just opened the box and it looks the goods charges 2 batteries at once using seperate leads just got to fit it now
16156114416262.jpg

denis barden

Re: On board battery charger

Post by denis barden » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:49 am

I used to repair the ignition boxes on some outboards- 2 strokes
Process was -get a very hot elect hot air gun and heat the potting material then pull it /scrape it off with a driver.
Resolder all the components to the PCB .
Due to the vibration of the boat and motor, components would work loose as when they make the units on a automatic production line using a soft solder, after a while the components work loose

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:36 pm

Cheers dennis the tip of melting the potting i will remember

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:04 pm

Fitted the onboard charger today works a treat
16158132328580.jpg
It's went into the maintaing mode within 5 min let's hope this set of batteries last as long as the last set 8 years, I put it down to to onboard charger looking after them just as well I might go fishing tomorrow.

Return to “Marine Electronics”