how to do wiring to attach a plug for a car freezer onto the boat batterys?

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

how to do wiring to attach a plug for a car freezer onto the boat batterys?

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:17 am

hi all

im looking at attaching the new weaco CFX50 to the boat batterys for the way back from bermagui. and will take the charger up and charge both batterys up full and have the battery switch on both.

i have a duel battery set up with a 2 way swithch at the rear of the boat so can choose from (front battery, rear or both)
i know there is a fuse board and a negative board up under the dash that runs from the front battery so keeps the rear battery for just starting the motor when out on the water.

how is the best way to join onto this and will it cope with the extra need of the CFX 50?
or do i have to run leads strait from the battery?
what sort plug is best?

i know there is a 9v plug on the CFX50 or do i need to change it to something more secure on the boat?

Spec for CFX 50
Voltage 12/24 volts DC and 100 – 240 volts AC

Power input (AC 230 V)
Approx. 60 watts (@230 V AC, 5 °C interior, 32 °C ambient)
Power consumption
(DC 12 V)
Average current draw x running time. Average 0.77 Ah/h (@12 V, 5 °C interior, 32 °C ambient temperature)

roughtly how long will both batterys last if everything is frozen hard when put in boat and palning on traveling leaving early am and back around lunch to miss some of the heat during the day (even tho its winter lol)?

cheers ricki

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Re: how to do wiring to attach a plug for a car freezer onto the boat batterys?

Post by skronkman » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:21 am

If it's a temporary thing then just connect it directly to the most convenient battery, securely to the terminals (not just alligator clips) so it doesn't come loose with bumps in the road and put your battery selector switch into the "both" position. A fairly standard marine battery will have a reserve charge of 120 minutes, meaning it can supply 25 amps for 2 hours, your fridge will not pull nearly this amount and only in on/off bursts. Your fridge has an average of only 0.77 amps so you could expect over 2 days on a single battery. You have 2 batteries so double the time you have, should be plenty for your trip. You will need to use your fridges 12v connector.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: how to do wiring to attach a plug for a car freezer onto the boat batterys?

Post by cobby » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:39 am

Could wire in a cigarette plug off the switch panel and mount it inconspicuously near the dash as a permanent solution. Can come in handy for charging phones etc. as well as somewhere to plug the freezer in when needed

Return to “Marine Electronics”