furuno/transducer combo for port phillip bay

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: furuno/transducer combo for port phillip bay

Post by rb85 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:53 pm

I have a 588 with a SS175 & P66.

Great sounder and the P66 is a good transducer on low kilowatt you should get arches. Only problem at 50 kHz you may not get good soundings at speed.

Retyred is right 12 deg at 200kHz and 45 deg at 50kHz.
http://www.airmartechnology.com/bottom-calculator.html

Furuno sounders are great easy to use and will help you catch fish once you learn to use them. If I was you I would read the instructions and have a play in PPB you shouldn't have as much of an issue with clutter as I do in WPB.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:17 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:22 pm
Wow this is rocket science stuff forme.
Meanwhile somewhere out there, there's me, whenever I see anything on the screen, I drop the bait. LoL.
Sorry for spamming. I hope one day I could get a boat with a nice sounder and out there with the knowledge to read the sounder.
It's not a silly thing to say Seb and is a good way of tuning in your sounder especially if you are looking for bait in the water column.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

Matthew drako
Has liked: 28 times

Post by Matthew drako » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:46 pm

really appreciate the help, will definitely take these tips on board:)

Matthew drako
Has liked: 28 times

Post by Matthew drako » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:53 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:13 pm
Yes what Frozenpod said. A P66 transducer has 10deg beam on 200khz and 45deg on 50khz. If i recall correctly. To put that in perspective. Very narrow beams of 4-6 deg will make fish appear as small dots, but they do fantastic bottom shape pics. Cray fishermen looking for crevasses use them. At 10 deg you will get small arches when you move directly over the fish. The short pulse length of the 200 will also help detect fish close to the bottom.
45deg combined with a long pulse is a totally different kettle of fish. You will get large arches from fish that are well off the bottom. You will also get long trails under the initial bottom echo. These trails will be shorter on smooth muddy bottom and long on rough coral or stony bottom. By running on dual frequency you can see all this info.
Really insightful and helpful, thanks! You mentioned that the 200khz is good for marking fish hard up on the bottom, can the 50khz mark fish close to the bottom as well? Thanks!

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:33 pm

Matthew drako wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:53 pm
re-tyred wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:13 pm
Yes what Frozenpod said. A P66 transducer has 10deg beam on 200khz and 45deg on 50khz. If i recall correctly. To put that in perspective. Very narrow beams of 4-6 deg will make fish appear as small dots, but they do fantastic bottom shape pics. Cray fishermen looking for crevasses use them. At 10 deg you will get small arches when you move directly over the fish. The short pulse length of the 200 will also help detect fish close to the bottom.
45deg combined with a long pulse is a totally different kettle of fish. You will get large arches from fish that are well off the bottom. You will also get long trails under the initial bottom echo. These trails will be shorter on smooth muddy bottom and long on rough coral or stony bottom. By running on dual frequency you can see all this info.
Really insightful and helpful, thanks! You mentioned that the 200khz is good for marking fish hard up on the bottom, can the 50khz mark fish close to the bottom as well? Thanks!
It can but often its hard to distinguish between the bottom and the fish

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:48 am

re-tyred wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:49 pm
Bugatti wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:05 am
I worked for Taylor Marine for many years. I was technician and then manager in Adelaide 2003- 2006. Moved from there to Brisbane to be East Coast Technical Manager.

Mike, what a small world. Great place, great staff. I've been going there since for ever (even back when they were at the base of the Birkinhead Bridge). We definitely would have seen each other. Let me spur your memory. You know that time when you rolled your eyes back and shook your head side to side, seeing a noob of a customer chatting away endlessly and was quite animated, probably chatting away with the "BIG fella" (gentle giant) that works there , , , , well , , , , that was probably , , , , ME :-D

Cheers, Bug

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:00 am

Lol , the big fella was Lynton Perkins. Guy behind the counter was Chris Salt.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:10 am

[/quote]

[/quote]

The pulse length determines how close to the bottom you can distinguish a fish. This is the time length of the transmission pulse. If you have a sounder that you can control it. Usually a commercial sounder. E.g. Furuno 295 and above. Then when using low frequency in shallow water , you would decrease the pulse length to minimum.
The reason that low frequency has long pulse by default is to increase detection in deep water.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Return to “Marine Electronics”