Fishfinder for Kayak

yardsy
Has liked: 11 times

Fishfinder for Kayak

Post by yardsy » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:45 pm

Tossing up between the Lowrance Hook reveal 5x, the Lowrance Hook2 7x and the Garmin Striker Plus 5cv. Any tips or recommendations would be appreciated!

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Fishfinder for Kayak

Post by 4liters » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:08 pm

I've had no end of dramas with Lowrance, got a couple of Garmins since then and haven't looked back.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:51 pm

I got a Lowrance HOOK2-7X w/ tripleshot transducer - only used it once so far but it's been good altho don't have comparative experience with other sounders, most online reviews are good as well. I bought it on a good deal in a bit of a rush - if I could have done it again I would have paid extra for the maps feature (mine just has way point tracking).

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:52 pm

4liters wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:08 pm
I've had no end of dramas with Lowrance, got a couple of Garmins since then and haven't looked back.
What sort of issues and what models?

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:52 pm

I would go the Garmin, the lowrance units with the split shot transducer don't have the best readings. The tripleshot is fine though
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:07 pm

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:52 pm
4liters wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:08 pm
What sort of issues and what models?
Hook 5 and the older Elite 5.

The customer service compounded factors, and a 12 month warranty for a $500 sounder is **** poor imo. I regret not just getting consumer affairs involved.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:27 pm

Been thinking to upgrade my sounder too.
What's the diff between garmin striker and garmin echomap?
Googled a bit, can't really distinguish much between the two.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

IFISHALOT
Has liked: 38 times

Post by IFISHALOT » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:36 pm

I have the Lowrance Hook 2 7" Triple Shot with Gold Card in my Yak and prefer it to my Old Sounder which was the Lowrance Elite 5.
Häving the Down Scan and Side Scan has been great out on the Snapper as well as finding Bream out on the flats and looking under pontoons for Bream.
The Gold Card gives me full GPS capabilities across all of Australia and is very detailed.
Last edited by IFISHALOT on Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Associated with Strike Pro, Jigstar, Daiichi, Lumica, Mapso, Bushranger Lures, Eureka Lures, Senshi, Sax Scent, TiCA, Victory Knives, Tonic Sunglasses & McLaughlin's Bait[url]http://www.jurofishing.com

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:12 pm

Sebb wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:27 pm
Been thinking to upgrade my sounder too.
What's the diff between garmin striker and garmin echomap?
Googled a bit, can't really distinguish much between the two.
Striker series is no map, it's merely a plotter to mark your location coordinates and create waypoints (although the quickdraw feature allows you to create your own very detailed maps using the sounders sonar. Useful in areas you regularly fish but is limited in size of area you can map out and save to the unit). Echomap series comes with fairly basic but serviceable inbuilt maps, capability to add a more detailed map card including the top notch ones with 3d capability and the quickdraw feature should you want more detail. Sonar wise, there's no difference between a Striker 7sv and an Echomap plus 7sv, same screen (no touchscreen on the striker though), transducer and all. The newer echomap UHD models are different from the Striker series though and not all models can use their panoptix live sonar.

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:19 am

cobby wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:12 pm

Striker series is no map, it's merely a plotter to mark your location coordinates and create waypoints (although the quickdraw feature allows you to create your own very detailed maps using the sounders sonar. Useful in areas you regularly fish but is limited in size of area you can map out and save to the unit). Echomap series comes with fairly basic but serviceable inbuilt maps, capability to add a more detailed map card including the top notch ones with 3d capability and the quickdraw feature should you want more detail. Sonar wise, there's no difference between a Striker 7sv and an Echomap plus 7sv, same screen (no touchscreen on the striker though), transducer and all. The newer echomap UHD models are different from the Striker series though and not all models can use their panoptix live sonar.

So echomap has built it map and striker we draw our own map. Got it!
Thanks cobby.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Marine Electronics”