phone gps

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

phone gps

Post by scott__henning » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:01 am

was using my phone as a gps with an app called "the fishing app" (very creative), but the marks for some reefs that I got out of a GPS marks book couldnt be found while I was out on the boat. I asume I was close to the reef, but does anyone else use their Iphone for GPS marks? It just seems like its not accurate enough, or I'm doing something wrong.

FishSamFish

Re: phone gps

Post by FishSamFish » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:04 am

I use mine. works perfect. I have reefs marker here, at rotto in perth and both work great. I use Navionics though.

shazzagraz

Post by shazzagraz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:08 am

scott__henning wrote:was using my phone as a gps with an app called "the fishing app" (very creative), but the marks for some reefs that I got out of a GPS marks book couldnt be found while I was out on the boat. I asume I was close to the reef, but does anyone else use their Iphone for GPS marks? It just seems like its not accurate enough, or I'm doing something wrong.
What phone are you using? Most phones with GPS chips in them should be fairly accurate, I'm pretty sure they have about a 10m accuracy in general. So it should be able to get you within 10m of the mark.
I know that GPS marks can be written in different formats though so you might want to make sure that your app is using the same format as the marks you are trying to input.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:42 am

iPhone? that one has issues on its own maps. Could be the map or the phone that has problems. I use Samsung and it is accurate
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:02 pm

shazzagraz wrote:
scott__henning wrote:was using my phone as a gps with an app called "the fishing app" (very creative), but the marks for some reefs that I got out of a GPS marks book couldnt be found while I was out on the boat. I asume I was close to the reef, but does anyone else use their Iphone for GPS marks? It just seems like its not accurate enough, or I'm doing something wrong.
What phone are you using? Most phones with GPS chips in them should be fairly accurate, I'm pretty sure they have about a 10m accuracy in general. So it should be able to get you within 10m of the mark.
I know that GPS marks can be written in different formats though so you might want to make sure that your app is using the same format as the marks you are trying to input.
I'm using an iPhone. the app that I was using used a different format than what was in the book so i had to convert them, i guess its possible that the conversion could have reduced the accuracy. I might give navionics a go

Steff

Post by Steff » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:08 pm

FC, what app are you running on your samsung?
So i went fishing on her birthday, .. Hey! She'll have another one!

shazzagraz

Post by shazzagraz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:26 pm

I also use a Samsung and have found the gps to be very accurate. I haven't used it for fishing purposes though, I can just tell that the accuracy is good from using the maps app and seeing where it pin points me on the map.
I had an iPhone 4 previously and that was quite accurate as well, but it did take slightly longer to find my location than the Samsung does.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:31 pm

Steff, like Shazz I dont use the GPS for fishing. I use it to find my coordinates if I want to. There is an app called real time GPS tracker in Android playstore. It is free.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Steff

Post by Steff » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:12 pm

Kool thanks FC :)
So i went fishing on her birthday, .. Hey! She'll have another one!

Return to “Marine Electronics”