Boat Cleaning & Salt-Away

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Boat Cleaning & Salt-Away

Post by skronkman » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:32 am

If the corrosion destroyed the outboards in under 2 years you should check the warranty. Mercury and possibly other manufactures provide up to 3 years cover for corrosion. if boats are moored the outboards should be tilted up. They should also be used regularly to flush them through, else they probably shouldn't be moored. Stray electrical currents in mariners can destroy outboards in the water too.

Anecdotally, I spoke to an oyster farmer on Wallis lake about his Yamaha engine and when he flushes it, his answer was "never". He used it nearly every day and didn't see the point. He did keep it raised from the water and it looked pretty beat up but was over 10 years old and going strong.

I'm not recommending that anyone not flush their motor, I flush mine if I'm not going to use it again for a week or so. I'm just sayin that some people go beyond the extreme from paranoia. Some of that paranoia comes from experience with older or cheaper motors that didn't have particularly corrosion resistant alloys, colloquially known as Disprins (they dissolve in water). Some products try to cash in on that paranoia. Proper care and maintenance is still essential however.

I have pulled down and rebuilt a few older engines (70's, 80's) that were pretty badly corroded inside and seen others that were totally stuffed. I also had an ex commercially operated Honda (98 model) with thousands of hours on it, it was kept moored for a long part of its life in lakes entrance but was used multiple times per week and serviced regularly but not flushed with fresh water very often. There was barely any corrosion inside when I had the water jacket off to replace a gasket in 2014.

You won't harm your motor by rinsing it too much, salt away and other products probably dont do any harm either. If you're not using your boat for a while then definitely rinse it out before storage (even better, do a full winterisation if you're talking about months of no use). The manuals for the motors I've had have only ever recommended using fresh water for rinsing, that's what I use.

chris srsc

Post by chris srsc » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:32 am

Id put it down to this....if you can do your own work on your on stuff, you soon see what you can and cant get away with...

I check and repack trailer bearings every second month..them failing scares me more than flushing..
FISH1617 : 183CM

Salt (38cm) Trevely 38cm snapper 65cm gummy 80cm
Fresh (0cm) 

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:54 am

Luluberlu wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
Luluberlu wrote:After fishing i go to the Carwash, connect a Hose to the engine and run it, while it is running i place $4 in the slot and select hot wax...clean all the boat inside out with it, when it's stop i stop the engine, collect my hose and go home .....easy :thumbsup:

where exactly are you getting the water to flush your engine from??
304 Kororoit Creek Rd, Williamstown North VIC 3016....it is one tap there at the end of the car wash you need your hose and tap connector
i figured as much.
i was wanting to do the same, but down here in frankston all the taps i've seen have the handles removed and replaced with a mechanical key, so you need a special attachment to open them.
cheers

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:56 am

Nude up wrote:I use a product call macs when I flush the motor the last thing I do is put the macs through it its like a soluble oil cleans and lubricates the engine internals. When I am away on a trip I flush the motor most days the last time I use the boat I put the macs through it. A mate who does a lot of work with boats told me the difference between engines that use an internal flushing aid to one that doesn't is huge so for a $100 over a couple of years is cheap I reckon
what exactly is that mate, and where can you get it? have you got a link to the product?

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:12 am

chris seafarer wrote:Id put it down to this....if you can do your own work on your on stuff, you soon see what you can and cant get away with...

I check and repack trailer bearings every second month..them failing scares me more than flushing..
Yep a bearing failure on the road is a real pain, especially when you cant remove the bearing as it is now welded to the axle. :o_0:

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:28 am

chris seafarer wrote:Id put it down to this....if you can do your own work on your on stuff, you soon see what you can and cant get away with...

Given bearings can last for years....

Seriously if you are only using the motor once a week flush.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:09 am

Thanks for the help guys, I think I'll play it safe and flush after use...no additives.
Any tips for the trailer (steel, galvanised, Dunbier)? I've read some of you spray 'Tectyl' over the whole thing. I've used a product called 'Lanotec' in the past....it's great stuff but unfortunately its leaves a sticky residue.

Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Trumpeter » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:15 pm

Anyone flush with a few drops of dishwashing detergent down the hose first? It was suggested to me by a respected marine mechanic once but I've never done it..just fresh water for 5-10mins and as soon as possible after each use.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:19 pm

Trumpeter wrote:Anyone flush with a few drops of dishwashing detergent down the hose first? It was suggested to me by a respected marine mechanic once but I've never done it..just fresh water for 5-10mins and as soon as possible after each use.
i actually though about doing that myself but with some all purpose cleaner solution, havent done it yet but im curious now

Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Trumpeter » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:32 pm

Yeah as long as it's very mild and not too caustic should be fine

Return to “Boating”