Deckie etiquette/rules

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Deckie etiquette/rules

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:44 pm

Deckie etiquette

You have annoyed some one long enough to the point that they have offered to take you out in their boat.
So what are the rules?

This will vary from skipper to skipper a bit.

Firstly don’t be late!!

Secondly don’t be late!!! The skipper said 4 am so be there at 3.30. (the skipper is allowed to be late)

Have breakfast before you go, you never know when some extra burley might be needed.

If you want to be waited on hand and foot, pay for a charter. (get the hint)

Ask what gear you need to bring, at most 2-3 rods a small tackle box to cover the type of fishing you are doing.
If trolling, buy some lure for the boat.

Some skippers will want a deckie who can reverse a trailer.

Help with rigging the boat and if you don’t know what to do? ASK!
Always check the bungs are in, if they aren’t remind the skipper.
You may have to supply bait and ice.
As well as food and drink, always bring your own. Limit alcohol.
You may be expected to meet half the costs of fuel, launching fees, bait excreta.

On the water

The deckie and skipper work as a team and unless the boat is big they stay on opposite sides, to balance the boat and prevent unexpected swimming lessons.
Unless the boat has an anchor winch, you as the deckie are the winch.
If you are the winch, lower the anchor QUIETLY (loud splash will scare the fish)
Do not touch or play with the skippers gear, without permission after all you are a guest in his house.
Listen to direction from the skipper, and do what he asks.
If you suffer from verbal diarrohea, put a plug in it.
When there is a hook up, ask if other rods need to be reeled in?
Help with netting or gaffing the fish.

Do not sit in the skippers seat without permission.

Off the water

At the ramp, help with tying up. Make sure all rods are inside the boat and are not likely to be damaged.
Help with unrigging the boat. Putting on the tie downs for the trailer. (boats do not stay on trailers long if they aren’t tied down.)

This may involve washing the boat down.

Help with cleaning the catch and if you caught more than the skipper, split the catch with him.

If you are a good deckie, then you are worth your weight in flathead fillets.

If you are able to reverse a trailer, then remember to turn off the bloody headlights when it is dark, Nobody can reverse their trailers when someone else's headlights are on full beam on the ramp.

All rubbish goes into a bin, that is a rubbish bin.

(work in progress)

Copyright 2012 Wolly Bugga

Martyjohnson

Re: Deckie etiquette/rules

Post by Martyjohnson » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:21 pm

tops mate that exactly what i expect from my mates in my boat and thats what they do most of the time

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:40 pm

Drinking is banned on my boat, alcohol and water do not mix.

Fuel and bait cost split. Food is case by case basis, normally a group effort at the shops.

On the fishing front, I normally provide all the gear and suggest there is no need to bring anything (I never stop anyone bring there own gear). Catch is equally split regardless if one person catches everything or nothing, and the only rule is don't bang sinkers on the side of the boat.

Otherwise relax and have fun and hopefully catch a few fish.

On a personal note if have a few mates along I normally sit back organise everything and let my mates fish.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:26 pm

good ideas, wolly
you added a few good points, frozenpod

georged2

Post by georged2 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:52 pm

All very good. My brother is a great deckie but my neighbours, CRIKEY. Does nothing and pays for nothing.

All I want from my passangers... Love my boat as I love my boat.
Early to bed, Early to rise, Fish all day, Tell big lies

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:17 am

frozenpod wrote:Drinking is banned on my boat, alcohol and water do not mix.

Fuel and bait cost split. Food is case by case basis, normally a group effort at the shops.

Catch is equally split regardless if one person catches everything or nothing, and the only rule is don't bang sinkers on the side of the boat.
Good point, it is easy to assume that someone knows what to do, or how to do things.

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:09 am

i usually always offer money for fuel and if i dont have any money at the time i just go to the pier to fish. i always bring along plenty of bait to share. i have been offered to go a few times when i have been broke. i always say i just dont have any money for fuel so maybe next time. once i get to work i will be going with a few friends on their boats but for now i would feel bad about going on someones boat and not having the money to help with fuel costs. i usually always have lots of garfish or tommy rough for bait. which i am always happy to share and usually give whatever is left over to the skipper. i also help with setting up the boat to launch and help too tie it down after taking it out. i have never been much good at backing trailers lol. but always willing to pull the car out and park it once the boat is launched. all good points guys. when i get my own boat i will be willing to take people out as long as they respect the boat. if they dont respect the boat and the skipper then they might find themselves swimming home lol.

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Deckie etiquette/rules

Post by Raulfc7 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:40 am

I don't know my way around a boat other then it's made to stay afloat. Saying that when I have gone out I always help where I can, if that's the fuel, the food, the bait, getting rigs ready even washing down the boat and cleaning the inside afterwards. Whatever I can help with I do because when I get asked to go on a boat I consider it a privilege.
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Berto Pescatore

Post by Berto Pescatore » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:58 pm

Perfectly said Wolly … everyone has a boat will know that what you are saying here is a good stuff
And I also agree with you it is work in progress as everyone may have something to add in terms of etiquette … things like, all those on board should be working I harmony, and I also want to hint on the must of following the basic personal hygienic stuff

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:27 am

I'd also remind 'deckies' to ask if smoking is permitted on board rather than just assuming it's ok.
Some may not allow it.
Also, the skipped sets bag/size limits to be applied (within the law of course).
Some set standards above those legally permitted (for instance the min size for snapper is 28cms but I do not allow anything kept below 30cms).

Return to “Boating”