Deckie etiquette/rules

denis barden

Re: Deckie etiquette/rules

Post by denis barden » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:30 am

Met a local guy about 3 yrs ago in the St Leonards pub.I asked if he would like to go for a fish.
Answer was yes.
He didnt have a boat or car ticket.
In the following year I must have taken him out 50 times .Me waking him up in the morning,picking him up and dropping him home,supplying all fuel/all costs and giving most of the fish to him
It became apparent that this 72 yr old was bludging on me.St leonards is a small town and all the fishos know me.
I had a blowup with him and never took him out again,bacause of his Greedy-Whats in it for me nature.
He now sits in the pub and watchs me go back and forth with the boat-It must kill him inside
I like my own company and will never again get involved with someone to that extent

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:42 am

I once took some mates away for the weekend.. my car my camping gear my boat etc.. not only did I leave my box of lures at my mates n wasn’t allowed to use one of there’s.. on the way home I stopped for fuel asked if anyone was throwing in.. no one did.. which broke my funds till pay day n I waited in the car while they walked in n got maccas.. it’s not hard to do the right thing..

My go 2 deckie.. always chips in, always helps launch/retrieve.. even helps me at home if I add something to it.. it’s not expected by any means but very much appreciated..

I pack the boat pay for the boat/trailer reg (which is sweet fa) buy all the safety gear maintain the vessel maintain the car etc so I can go out on the boat.. $20-$50 for fuel from a deckie is a small price to pay I say.

Oh and it’s just rude to ask to go back in early ;)

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:10 am

One of my rules is
If you are sea sick i will go back early if you are a kid or female.
Guys must be lying in the boat crook as for me to ruin my day
Last edited by denis barden on Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

BIG GAV

Post by BIG GAV » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:32 am

denis barden wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:10 am
One of my rules is
I you are sea sick i will go back early if you are a kid or female.
Guys must be lying in the boat crook as for me to ruin my day
Kids n partners are hardly deckies.. when I take my nephew out I know I’m forming out all the cash, I gotta be responsible and more importantly patient.. it’s not my day for fishing it’s his.

The more people I’ve invited out on the water the more I stick to the select few deckies I have and enjoy fishing with

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:44 am

BIG GAV wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:42 am
I once took some mates away for the weekend.. my car my camping gear my boat etc.. not only did I leave my box of lures at my mates n wasn’t allowed to use one of there’s.. on the way home I stopped for fuel asked if anyone was throwing in.. no one did.. which broke my funds till pay day n I waited in the car while they walked in n got maccas.. it’s not hard to do the right thing..

My go 2 deckie.. always chips in, always helps launch/retrieve.. even helps me at home if I add something to it.. it’s not expected by any means but very much appreciated..

I pack the boat pay for the boat/trailer reg (which is sweet fa) buy all the safety gear maintain the vessel maintain the car etc so I can go out on the boat.. $20-$50 for fuel from a deckie is a small price to pay I say.

Your mates sound like scumbags like the old bloke who wouldn’t chip in with Denis

BIG GAV

Post by BIG GAV » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:49 am

rb85 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:44 am
BIG GAV wrote:

Your mates sound like scumbags like the old bloke who wouldn’t chip in with Denis
I wouldn’t go as far to call em scumbags.. but yeah I was right peeved when I got home.. my mate who is an apprentice tried to flick me his last $30 I refused but never forget the gesture

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:52 am

BIG GAV wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:49 am
rb85 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:44 am
BIG GAV wrote:

I wouldn’t go as far to call em scumbags.. but yeah I was right peeved when I got home.. my mate who is an apprentice tried to flick me his last $30 I refused but never forget the gesture
Your a better man than me not sharing a few lures when you’re on someone’s boat? At least the apprentice tried.

BIG GAV

Post by BIG GAV » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:58 am

lol yeah kinda turned back on me.. I kept bugging them to buy there own surface lures cause I didn’t wanna give out pompadours n gantarels to blokes with spin rods n no accuracy.. they bought a surface lure each 😂 once I realised I left them back in Melbourne I raced into town n went ham at the local bcf before they’d even got up n packed there swags

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:16 am

With my mates thay have seldom come out (landbased) for lure fishing (trout), they borrow gear free of charge and ive got a small tacklebox of lures that can be lost with no real concern (natives is harder to do this of course). If they want to use the more exxy ones, its fine but if lost its a small cost of the original shelf price to them, same goes for broken gear. The "well you were driving there anyway" mentality to skip out on petrol money doesn't fly with me for 9/10 situations - especially where they have asked to go out.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:34 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 6:15 am
Lightningx wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 1:02 pm
What a nightmare! My mate always brings everything without me even saying. If it's a night session he will bring dinner, drinks. Day lunch water, all bait and burley and helps wash and pack the boat so I can't complain.
I need a deckie like that.
So.do I lol

Return to “Boating”