Re: Cheaters Skiff

Post by Bugatti » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:53 am

cheaterparts wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:00 pm

yes a few things have to go

I call dibs on the Drill Press :-D

Drill Press.PNG
Drill Press.PNG (277.93 KiB) Viewed 1789 times

Oups, sorry, I thought it was a WEN 5 speed (no, not the 1984 model, the 86)

pass :(

Cheers, Bug

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:05 am

Bugatti wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:53 am

Cheers, Bug
my drill press isn't that new - I bought it about the mid 80s and it was already fairly old and it's 3 phase so not much good for most people that don't have the 3 phase feed in there sheds

and by the way it's something I wouldn't sell as it gets used quite a bit as I make a lot of stuff at home to fit out fishing kayaks
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:11 am

cheaterparts wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:05 am
Bugatti wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:53 am

Cheers, Bug
my drill press isn't that new - I bought it about the mid 80s and it was already fairly old and it's 3 phase so not much good for most people that don't have the 3 phase feed in there sheds

and by the way it's something I wouldn't sell as it gets used quite a bit as I make a lot of stuff at home to fit out fishing kayaks
Just Joshing,

Never stand in the way of a man and his tools. I love old school, especially workshop tools, they last and have that nostalgia.

I have an Old Arc Welder, welds beautifully, and I'm sure even in the 1800's when it was made :o_0: . Actually I should check to see when it really was made.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:09 am

Isnt it the golden rule.
Never touch another man's tools

Lol

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:35 am

So time to stroke its bottom - I got the skiff off the assembly jig which was pretty easy it's still quite light
IMG_1717.JPG
must say it looks the goods sitting on the ground

after changing the A/jig forms to something that would support the skiff up the other way I slid it back on

a bit of playing with a block plane to take some epoxy lumps off and trim the edges at the side/bottom join
then pulled out the random orbital sander and started to smooth it out to get ready to glass
IMG_1718.JPG
IMG_1719.JPG
there's still a bit of filling of some seams and sanding to do ( maybe a few hours of it ) before the glassing can be done but the bottom looks pretty fair already it will be really just a clean up and some sharp joins that will need a radius sanded into them so the fibre glass will follow these curves
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:48 am

Looking good!
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:25 pm

Well I suppose I'm due for an up date on the skiff - yes it had been side lined a bit I did get it's bottom glassed back around November last year
IMG_1725.JPG
since then I have slowly been doing floor supports but have resurged a bit with the longer days and a bit warmer in the shed after work
IMG_1999.JPG
these were lightened a bit with a hole saw and epoxied into the hull both stiffening up the boat and will make the floor nice and firm
IMG_2031.JPG
the centre section is for a kill tank and there will 3 separate sealed sections with there own drain plugs so there is quite a bit of floatation built in
IMG_2041.JPG
the floor sections are basically cut to fit now and it is a floor section 1220 x 2400 with just a taper and the front down to 1170 wide
I have to cut a hole in the centre to access the kill tank and a bench seat running long ways will go above it
the small cut out at the transom will have a stepped floor that fits the fuel tank
IYNL4150.JPG
I ran out of clamps on Sunday fitting strips around the top of the floor supports ( wider surface to glue the floor down ) and I have glued more this arvo after I got back from a fish ( no fish today but at least a paddle )

now my winter project looks like a Wuhan Bat flu project with at least the next 6 weeks ends free
My kayak PBs

Cheater

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:56 pm

well the skiff is progressing along quite well of late with the lock down cutting down other options

so over the last couple of weeks the main bow support was glued up and fitted along with some extra beams
all the beams under the deck had strips glued along the tops to increase the gluing surface
IMG_2053[1].jpg
last weekend I got some fiberglassing done on the bottom of the dry hatch and to the 2 side storage spots and glued the front section of bow on
and the hard wood strips along the gunnel were extended with a scarf join and glued along the sides
IMG_2056[1].jpg
IMG_2066.JPG
through the week I cut the 2 rear pieces for the bow ( not fitted till the dry hatch seals are done as I need the open sections to clamp the seals on )
so Friday before the week end I turn the boat upside down to finish off the hard wood strip this needed to be fitted in sections around the bow section because of the curve being to great to bend around
IMG_2082.JPG
so a few lobster back cuts , an angle cut to fit the hull angle and plenty of thickened epoxy had that glued in place
Saturday with clamps removed the under side of the hard word was sanded and a layer of glass done to strengthen the area

this morning the boat was turned right way up and back on the building frame
parts made for the dry hatch seal ply cut for the seat and some other bits and piece that with get glued up and fitted through the week

there is a few chance for it to be finished by the end of stage 4 lock down if I dont run out of epoxy
My kayak PBs

Cheater

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:37 pm

If the local bunnings runs out of clamps, they'll know where to find some
Great job btw
Gra

Return to “Boating”