Question regarding thru-hull fittings

BarryManilow
Has liked: 2 times

Question regarding thru-hull fittings

Post by BarryManilow » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:04 pm

Howdy fellow vic fisherman!
I'm currently in the process of replacing my transom mounted live well pump to a thru-hull setup and have a few questions regarding the setup which have me a little.. paranoid.

1. Mostly all live well pumps on the market from what I can see, have a threaded skin fitting, they look as though they are designed to mount directly to the hull.
-Is it possible for seals to break on these pumps? Allowing water to flow into the hull?
-Is it possible for the plastic stem or other components of the pumps to crack, break in rough weather leaving you with a hole under the water line.
-Are there any pumps that can be fixed to ally rails inside hull?

I'm leaning towards having a thru hull nylon pickup attached directly to a seacock, then running quality hose to a fixed live well pump, I can't seem to find any pumps that are able to be screwed down, I'm most likely missing something here, any info is much appreciated.
Cheers! :ch:

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Question regarding thru-hull fittings

Post by purple5ive » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:15 pm

The pickup is a threaded fitting, so on the inside hull side there will be a washer and locking nut fitting that holds everything in place.
use some marine silicone around the inside and outside (put enough to act as a washer) for extra protection.

depending on which pump you get they do come with a bracket to be mounted somewhere.

and use zip ties on the plastic hoses on the threaded fitting to secure them properly, or if you want to over do it, use hose clamps..

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:29 pm

BarryManilow wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:04 pm
Howdy fellow vic fisherman!
I'm currently in the process of replacing my transom mounted live well pump to a thru-hull setup and have a few questions regarding the setup which have me a little.. paranoid.

1. Mostly all live well pumps on the market from what I can see, have a threaded skin fitting, they look as though they are designed to mount directly to the hull.
-Is it possible for seals to break on these pumps? Allowing water to flow into the hull?
-Is it possible for the plastic stem or other components of the pumps to crack, break in rough weather leaving you with a hole under the water line.
-Are there any pumps that can be fixed to ally rails inside hull?

I'm leaning towards having a thru hull nylon pickup attached directly to a seacock, then running quality hose to a fixed live well pump, I can't seem to find any pumps that are able to be screwed down, I'm most likely missing something here, any info is much appreciated.
Cheers! :ch:
Do what you're leaning towards. I have this pump https://www.whitworths.com.au/johnson-1 ... it-20l-min It has rubber grommets for mounting on any surface then just use a ball valve https://www.whitworths.com.au/stainless ... ball-valve to close off the hose that is picking up the water when you are not using it.

Cheers, Anth

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:22 pm

I have 2 through fillings at the back off my boat both have a sea cock to close off if anything should give way. Both are threaded seacock screwed on then rule pump screwed on one the other plumbed to a deckwash pump

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:32 pm

What they said. With the ball valve shut off no water comes through

Return to “Boating”