Quick tip

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Quick tip

Post by Nude up » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:30 pm

I have plenty of time on my hands and been sorting stuff out on my boat. I have plastic boxes with all sorts of stuff fuses , globes, shackles and this.
15859740336190.jpg
My engine is a Yamaha and on the side there is a connect point to flush the engine without running it.
15859741543651.jpg
The only trouble is the thread is an American hose pipe thread, you can buy adaptors I picked one up in the states years ago but I needed one recently and found that hoselink sell them $1.87 Then fit an Aus hose pipe adaptor
15859743777772.jpg
The beauty of carrying one on your boat if your water pump fails when you are out you can connect your wash down pumps hose to it which will supply water to the cylinder head and you can get home safely without overheating your engine. It's cheap insurance.
15859745805623.jpg

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Quick tip

Post by purple5ive » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:53 pm

Good idea mate.
I keep a few spares myself, this outlet I don't have.
I always carry my outboard flush muffs and a small bit of hose in the boat though, so I can flush it anywhere I can have access to tap water..
Plus few other bits and bobs for the electric. Spare plugs. And a spare pair of power leads to jump my house battery from.the trolling motor battery in case **** hits the fan.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:02 pm

Not that I have a boat, but, a very good tip from you and purple
Cheers Gra
P.s.- how's life on the bellarine peninsula?? (Yes I'm very jealous)

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:29 pm

Loving life on the bellarine should have made the move years ago, I am 2 klm from the point Richards rd boat ramp. Which is useless atm. Starting to be recognised as locals

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:06 pm

Beautiful part of the world down on the Bellarine, some of the best fishing in my opinion too!
I think you've motivated me to look through my box of parts for anything useful.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:19 pm

Hey Nude up, Not sure about yams but with my Honda's this doesn't work. The engines will still overheat because that fitting flushes the motor for a quick flush but doesn't go through the whole system and doesn't have enough pressure. The manufacturer says not to run the engines when flushing the motor with that fitting. I've tried it anyway to see what happens and they overheated.

Cheers, Anth

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:45 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:53 pm
I always carry my outboard flush muffs and a small bit of hose in the boat though, so I can flush it anywhere I can have access to tap water..
As an add on to this, its good to carry an anti vandal tap key, that way you can sometimes use the council taps that dont have a handle on the tap. Just make sure the council workers arent there at the time :vy:
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:55 pm

i generally ask if im going to use the tap, usually though i use it at the car wash places that have a marine flush option.

i have seen people be sneaky and use public taps, but they run the motor for like 20-30 seconds and are gone, i highly doubt that does any good tbh.

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:28 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:19 pm
Hey Nude up, Not sure about yams but with my Honda's this doesn't work. The engines will still overheat because that fitting flushes the motor for a quick flush but doesn't go through the whole system and doesn't have enough pressure. The manufacturer says not to run the engines when flushing the motor with that fitting. I've tried it anyway to see what happens and they overheated.

I do not run the engine out of the water using this method because the water impeller will not get any water and will get damaged but I have tried this in the bay my deck wash pushes enough water through the head to keep it cool.

Cheers, Anth

Return to “Boating”