Stabicraft / Bar Crusher V's Haines Hunter

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Re: Stabicraft / Bar Crusher V's Haines Hunter

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:52 pm

Now that i think of it, i did go on a Stabicraft about 3 years ago in New Caledonia of all places.

One of the local tour guides was running one to take people out swimming with turtles etc. I dont remember too much about it, it was a large hard top. But it was a very nice soft ride and i remember being pretty impressed with it. It was a hard top and it was a very dry ride. It had a walk through transom which made boarding it when backed up to the beach so easy.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Gultch78
Has liked: 312 times

Post by Gultch78 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:15 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:52 pm
I'd go the stabi. Safer than the other boats. Setup well for fishing, Alloy so way less maintenance and will last longer than a fiberglass boat. Probably better resale value as well.

Cheers, Anth
What evidence do you have to support these comments good fibreglass boats are sought after and rebuilt, repainted, repaired for decades unlike alloy and hold there value
Attachments
FB_IMG_1571012246898.jpg
40 yr old fibreglass boat
I was a premium member before it was cool #aheadofthepack

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:51 pm

Gultch78 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:15 pm
Sinsemilla wrote:
I'd go the stabi. Safer than the other boats. Setup well for fishing, Alloy so way less maintenance and will last longer than a fiberglass boat. Probably better resale value as well.

Cheers, Anth
What evidence do you have to support these comments good fibreglass boats are sought after and rebuilt, repainted, repaired for decades unlike alloy and hold there value
You'll never get rot in a alloy boat and there is heaps of fibreglass boats on the market. Not so many stabicrafts. Plus stabi's have a good reputation.

I got a glass boat.. I love redoing silicone and gel coat and polishing..

You just said it yourself.. glass boats need to be rebuilt after years. Not alloy boats!

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:52 pm

Robbie1950 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:04 pm
Sinsemilla wrote:

Cheers, Anth
Haines Hunters are always great resellers. I actually cant find one 565R thats second hand for sale and there is only one 565 Offsore that is for sale in Australia. Stabi looks great too no doubt, but would love to have feedback from someone who's taken one for a bust or even a bar crusher as i assume they would ride similar.
Buy mine please!

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:59 am

Sinsemilla wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:51 pm
Gultch78 wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:

Cheers, Anth
You'll never get rot in a alloy boat and there is heaps of fibreglass boats on the market. Not so many stabicrafts. Plus stabi's have a good reputation.

You just said it yourself.. glass boats need to be rebuilt after years. Not alloy boats!
Umm yeah they definently do. Worse so with differing metals used on fixings, boats pushed to their limits or just poor maintenance.

Either people I know are stupidly rough with boats and that's the reason why the 'worst' 2 hulls are a Caribbean Belmont and a Swiftcraft Explorer, every alloy boat except the 1 used purely as a whiting basher either pitted badly that became leaks or completely split sheet welds and snapped other stress bearing welds in varying places. Quintrex, Stacer, Tabs, Stessl... All replaced with Haines Hunters old and new, Signatures, Edencrafts, Bass Straits, Formula 21s, Cootacraft and even a new Northbank....

That said, I'd still buy a Stabi 1430 Explorer if they were 10k cheaper

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:01 am

Gultch78 wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:

Cheers, Anth
Everyone loves a good non reverse 19

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:16 am

cobby wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:59 am
Sinsemilla wrote:
Gultch78 wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:

Cheers, Anth

Umm yeah they definently do. Worse so with differing metals used on fixings, boats pushed to their limits or just poor maintenance.

Either people I know are stupidly rough with boats and that's the reason why the 'worst' 2 hulls are a Caribbean Belmont and a Swiftcraft Explorer, every alloy boat except the 1 used purely as a whiting basher either pitted badly that became leaks or completely split sheet welds and snapped other stress bearing welds in varying places. Quintrex, Stacer, Tabs, Stessl... All replaced with Haines Hunters old and new, Signatures, Edencrafts, Bass Straits, Formula 21s, Cootacraft and even a new Northbank....

What alloy boats are you talking about cobby? That's terrible.. I've never heard of such things. Most charter operators use alloy boats for a reason. A proper built alloy boat should last a lifetime.

and even in my experience with small alloy boats, i have a 3.8m Savage Jabiru that's nearly 30 years old, the hull has cracked from smashing logs at full noise in the rivers and a bit of JB weld or silicone will get you out of the **** no worries.

I don't Quintrex, Stacer, Tabs, Stessl should be put in the same league as Extreme, Stabis and White pointers..

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:29 am

Its a unkown. Stabis ,extreme have not been around 30 -40 years.
How many 30-40 year old tin cans chasing tuna...
What ive seen is majority of charter boats r fibreglass...well in ppb
White pointes different league to all the b4 mentioned tin cans
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:08 am

Sinsemilla wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:16 am
cobby wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:59 am
Sinsemilla wrote:
Gultch78 wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:

Cheers, Anth

What alloy boats are you talking about cobby? That's terrible.. I've never heard of such things. Most charter operators use alloy boats for a reason. A proper built alloy boat should last a lifetime.

and even in my experience with small alloy boats, i have a 3.8m Savage Jabiru that's nearly 30 years old, the hull has cracked from smashing logs at full noise in the rivers and a bit of JB weld or silicone will get you out of the **** no worries.

I don't Quintrex, Stacer, Tabs, Stessl should be put in the same league as Extreme, Stabis and White pointers..
?? Alloy boats tend to last 15 years with commercial use and 30 years recreational at which point they need to be recycled.

For either boat the accessories pumps, sounders etc outboard will die well before the hull will.

Glass boats built in the 60's still going today.

Glass depending on the design will need wood replaced but the cost of replacing wood is realitively cheap.

Alloy corrode, crack etc and reach a point where they cant be fixed.

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:41 am

Just having a look at the cost of a Stabi, they are very expensive for what you get. You would be lucky to get a tiny 1550 for less than $40,000. For that price you could easily find a bigger Barcrusher 490c or maybe a Barcrusher/Surtees 535/540. Or even buy a older V17/19 and have it rebuilt.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Return to “Boating”