Formula 15 Renovation

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Formula 15 Renovation

Post by purple5ive » Tue May 05, 2020 10:07 am

are you getting a jacking plate?
reason i ask is if transom mounting the tranny, it will get interference from the motor leg.
if you have the jacking plate then you can get away with it, and also have the abiity to install almost in the middle to get a good side scan reading both sides.
all this provided the trailer will accommodate ofcourse.

Also something else to think about is NMEA2K backbone throughout the boat for the Motor to sounder and other accesories like point 1, vhf etc, if your going down that route.
Not needed straight away but maybe once you start doing the wiring .

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue May 05, 2020 2:43 pm

I’m not planning on transom mounting the tranny? I said keel mounted. That should avoid any necessary jacking plates etc?

I’m going to build the transom to 25”. I’ll use a jacking plate only if I can’t get the bolts in due to clashing with the splash well.

Gotta look into nmea and all that jazz. Not studied it’s capabilities at all. Didn’t want to complicate the build but depends what it can do.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue May 05, 2020 4:21 pm

Ahh yep, sorry misread the keel part.
Nmea2k is good, can do engine parameter readouts and loads more on compatible sounder screen. fairly easy to setup and is plug and play pretty much for the accessories plugging into it.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue May 05, 2020 7:28 pm

Wet timber is all too common.

On the upside the boat will be awesome once finished amazing progress so far.

ducky

Post by ducky » Thu May 07, 2020 9:16 am

frozenpod wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 7:28 pm
Wet timber is all too common.

On the upside the boat will be awesome once finished amazing progress so far.
Cheers mate.

Yeah was surprised it was as wet as it was. But ah well.

Transom is now cut out of ply. Glass Stringers and rear deck ready for pickup this weekend. Ordered a bucket load of glass and related material and tools and booked a couple days leave in a fortnight.

With any luck can hit it hard over a few days and make some serious progress.

SeaSherpa

Post by SeaSherpa » Thu May 07, 2020 10:10 pm

That went from 0-100 pretty quickly, the gift that keeps on giving! Seeing as you are redoing the stringers and transom and will have good access, it might be worth considering adding some knees to go slightly higher than the old well, at the same time to bolster the transom for the raising the engine mount 5’’ and a potentially bigger engine on the way.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu May 07, 2020 10:16 pm

Good idea, if this was my boat I would convert to a flat back transom or have the well the same height at the top of the transom.

ducky

Post by ducky » Fri May 08, 2020 1:16 am

This is the exact rear deck I’m putting on. Except it will be obviously my colour.

The idea to go 25” transom came after the rear deck was ordered. I’ll see what’s involved in running a 25” transom with the 20” well. It should be fine but I dunno. See what happens. At worst I’ve got to live with a 20” transom like every one of them ever built. Not the end of the world.

Don’t quite have the confidence to tackle a full flat back custom live bait tank etc. but after this project and lessons learnt who knows what could happen if I do it all over again with a bigger boat. Gotta first prove to the haters (my wife) that it can be done, and in a reasonable timeframe.
Attachments
C7BE7290-21BB-4D27-A6E7-692C3FD91AAE.jpeg

ducky

Post by ducky » Mon May 11, 2020 5:17 pm

Well picked up stringers and tried to pick up the rear deck (wouldn’t fit. Need to take a ute)

Made SFA progress this weekend. Spending time with the fam for Mother’s Day etc.

Glass delivery came today. Figured screw it. Need to get stuck in ASAP. So glassed up the transom. First time glassing so we’ll see how my lamination goes. Catalysed at 1.5%.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon May 11, 2020 8:02 pm

1.5 doesn't sound to much given the current weather. You'll soon know tomorrow if there's any white hot spots in the glass

Return to “Boating”