Missing Thrust Washer and Bung Story

sturgeon
Has liked: 14 times

Missing Thrust Washer and Bung Story

Post by sturgeon » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:14 pm

Last year, decided to check my propeller in the dark after a trip out. I know not a good idea but thought that I had hit a fishing line and was going to be going out the next day first thing in the morning so had little choice but to check it that night. In any case, first time taking out the prop to check for line in like more than 10 years. Previous boat was in 2007. Put everything back on after checking. Next morning, took the boat out. At the ramp, started the motor and put the prop in gear and straight away heard a grinding sound. Stopped the motor and pulled the boat up the ramp. I suspected that I had not put the prop back on properly. Went home to check it and turned out that the thrust washer was missing after consulting the manual. Searched everywhere where the boat was parked the night before. I thought it might have dropped and lost in the grass/ground where the boat was the day before. Nothing. Combed it multiple times. It was a Sunday so no dealers open. Next day... had to go to dealer to buy a new thrust washer. A few days later, found the thrust washer in my tool bucket. Then I remembered I had put the prop in the tool bucket instead of the ground when I was checking it and the thrust washer had fallen into the bucket without my knowing. Of course isn't it, but when you have lost something and you are a bit frantic, you don't think straight and work through exactly what happened. Sigh....

2 weeks ago, was preparing to take the boat out with the kids and missus. Had free time, weather was good and water calm enough for kids and missus. So time was sort of the essence since the queen was going out and she don't like to wait. Realized that the bung was missing before leaving home! It is always in the rear well but for some reason it had gone missing. Was scrambling around looking for it but just could not find it. Not on the garage floor, driveway, or anywhere in the boat etc. Then I recollected vaguely that maybe that I had a spare somewhere in the boat. Fortunately, I managed to find that spare after some more looking. Thank goodness the dealer gave a spare. So we went out. Came back and continued searching and could not find it. So, the next day, went to BCF to get some bungs as spares to keep on the boat. Just a few days ago, found the missing bung in my tool bag while doing some other random stuff! Gosh...I supposed I must have absent mindedly thrown it in there instead of the live well compartment where I always put it.

So...moral of the story is that if I am missing something, and I cannot find it, check my tool bucket or bag FIRST!

Second moral is always have a spare! To have a fishing or boat trip cancelled or delayed because of a piece of plastic is unacceptable!

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Re: Missing Thrust Washer and Bung Story

Post by Sebb » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:56 am

Such unfortunate events.
Yes, good idea to always have spares.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:15 am

Lol happens to me every ******* time

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:36 pm

Happens to me as soon as I turn around and grab something else, can't remember where I put the first thing I had.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:45 pm

Worse is when you remove something, then refit it back and end up having left over parts (usually nuts, bolts and washers are the main culprits here) and you have nfi where they are meant to go...

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:03 am

purple5ive wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:45 pm
Worse is when you remove something, then refit it back and end up having left over parts (usually nuts, bolts and washers are the main culprits here) and you have nfi where they are meant to go...
That’s when you put them in the bin and convince ya self they were just unnecessary spares

🤷‍♂️

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:04 am

I always take photos on phone if not sure

Return to “Boating”