Deck Wash Ideas

sturgeon
Has liked: 14 times

Deck Wash Ideas

Post by sturgeon » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:53 pm

Thinking about a deck wash. Have done some research online. Not willing to spend much. Preferably less than $200 installed. Also not wanting to drill any holes through the boat. So looking at DIY options.

1. Freshwater flexible tank (100L or less) with inline 12V pump? Tank would also help with my weight issue - bow too light. I saw this on some forum and the person who advocated this said that he preferred using fresh water versus salt water. Also, could be used to shower.
12V pump https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100W-12V-16 ... 0677.m4598

2. Deckwash with hose over back of the engine well for pick up (may have to cable tie the hose to either tranducer cable or fittings or just throw the hose/strainer over the side when I want to use it. If this option is chosen what would anyone recommend? I see most deckwash are about $300-400?

3. Bilge pump as an option but as it needs to be in the water, so it may not be an option right? I have previously seen boats with hoses running down the back so I think there are people out there who are DIYing their deckwash and livewell pumps but not sure how to go about it.

So looking for an easy, DIY, low cost, and not too much hassle idea. Any advice appreciated.

Found some portable solutions such as these but I think they are for freshwater :

https://www.amazon.com.au/theBlueStone- ... 3759&psc=1

Thank you!!!

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Re: Deck Wash Ideas

Post by fishnut » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:45 pm

sturgeon wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:53 pm
Thinking about a deck wash. Have done some research online. Not willing to spend much. Preferably less than $200 installed. Also not wanting to drill any holes through the boat. So looking at DIY options.

1. Freshwater flexible tank (100L or less) with inline 12V pump? Tank would also help with my weight issue - bow too light. I saw this on some forum and the person who advocated this said that he preferred using fresh water versus salt water. Also, could be used to shower.

2. Deckwash with hose over back of the engine well for pick up (may have to cable tie the hose to either tranducer cable or fittings or just throw the hose/strainer over the side when I want to use it. If this option is chosen what would anyone recommend? I see most deckwash are about $300-400?

3. Bilge pump as an option but as it needs to be in the water, so it may not be an option right? I have previously seen boats with hoses running down the back so I think there are people out there who are DIYing their deckwash and livewell pumps but not sure how to go about it.

So looking for an easy, DIY, low cost, and not too much hassle idea. Any advice appreciated.

Found some portable solutions such as these but I think they are for freshwater :

Thank you!!!
If its tinny or aluminum plate boat dont use salt water
I have a 5l plastic jerry can with fresh water in it in my ally boat

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:26 pm

I screwed my deck wash to the underside of the old seat that went across the back of my boat and draped a 19mm clear hose over the back of the boat and just used galvanised saddled on the plastic burley pot. It was rough and ready but it solved the problem.

When i refit it I’ll probably do it with a water pickup so it’s 1000x neater

sturgeon

Post by sturgeon » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:44 pm

Noted. My is glass. Currently using bucket to bring salt water to wash the boat and hands.
How do you use the freshwater from the can? Do you have a pump system or a hose system or just pour it out?
I am wondering some kind of tank with some kind of wash might work.

Ducky - any chance of photos of your setup when you are free? At this time, I dont care about neat as long as it works! Haha!

Thanks!

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:51 pm

I suggest you modify your boat to be able to do this:

2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:56 pm

fishnut wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:45 pm
sturgeon wrote:

Thank you!!!
Are you saying you shouldnt use an aluminium boat in salt water?

sturgeon

Post by sturgeon » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:04 pm

Do you think a livewell pump could work as a deckwash?

https://www.whitworths.com.au/pmp-johnson-bait-kit

But just realized that this does not have auto on and off I suppose so that might be a little hassle although 500gph works out to 30+L/min which is more volume. Am I right?

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:59 am

Mattblack wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:56 pm
fishnut wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:45 pm
sturgeon wrote:

Thank you!!!
Are you saying you shouldnt use an aluminium boat in salt water?
Not at all,my last 5m tinny developed corrosion from the inside mainly along the bottom closeto the keel where the saltwater would sit mixed with dust etc would turn into mud .i removed the floor every couple of years and pressure washed it but eventually corrosion started
Soon my new one i decided to only wash the top and interior with freshwater. Have been thinking about connecting a pump of some sort to it

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:11 am

My boat is completely stripped out atm so it’s all gone. I had a look for pics but couldn’t find any that showed it properly.

Return to “Boating”