Boat purchase help

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Boat purchase help

Post by bowl » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:50 am

Jezza94 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:28 am
Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I'll go with a tiller steer. There's a few Stacer Seasprite 390-395's around - any experience with these hulls?
Mate had Stacer 399,then went 429 rampage, 429 was lot better bay boat,more stable n safer
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:48 pm

My last boat was a Savage Kestrel 4.2m tiller steer with a 25hp Merc and a like new trailer. It was pull start but it had a battery to run electrics, nav lights etc. Other than that it was bare bones when i got it with no floor. But i only paid $5500 or so from JV Marine so you could get something similar for cheaper if you buy privately. I spent another $100 or so and built a basic, removable floor out of ply and pine (i am no builder, but it wasnt too hard and took me a weekend or so). And picked up some big padded swivle seats on sale to make it comfortable to sit in for hours.

Despite its nickname.. the TINtanic, it never leaked a drop. Started first go and ran all day with no problems at all. It was a bloody ripper.
It was great for fishing with 2 people, and you could do 3 if you had to but it would could sometimes struggle to get on plane. I added some rod holders by cable tying them to the ribs.

I did have a slight issue when i first got it where i could not get the boat to plane (which i posted about in here years ago), but it ended up just being a trim issue. My fat arse at the back and no weight forward.

When i sold it i got almost what i paid. I think i lost about $250 of the actual cost (not including what i added after), but i gained a lifetime of memories. Looking back i still cant believe i pickup this boat at that price from a dealer, i was so happy with it. I only sold it because my boss bought a new boat and made me an offer i couldnt refuse on his old boat.

When i was looking around for something i also had $5k to spend and was looking at something in the 395 range. But once i actually went and looked at some boats it was apparent within seconds that nothing under 4.2 was going to cut it for PPB. Once you get to that size things like the beam and the freeboard start to get a lot bigger and in my opinion it starts to become more of a boat, rather that an tinny. I also originally looked at forward controls with a screen, but again i quickly decided it was a waste of space in such a small boat and tiller steer made more sense. Although i was quite wet when punching into the chop on the starboard beam (drivers side), but that was all part of the fun haha.

One thing i like to mention to anyone looking at a boat is to remember you are buying 4 things, and ideally you want all of them to be good or you are just setting yourself up for pain down the track.

1. The actual boat. You want something solid with no damage. Cosmetic damage is up to you.
2. The motor. To me this is more important that everything else, if you dont trust the motor you will never use it.
3. The trailer. Seriously overlooked by a lot of people. You are up for a lot of coin to relace a dodgy trailer and you dont even want to think about what happens if it fails on the way to the ramp. I am in the position right now where i dont trust my trailer because i bought a great boat with a dodgy trailer and now, 3 years down the track, i need to replace it. Which was all looking good until real life got in the way and now i cant afford it.
A distant 4th is anything that comes with the boat that you want. Dont pay extra for a bunch of stuff thats on the boat that you dont want anyway.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Post by russellh2 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:21 pm

Your Location????? Have a look on "Facebook Marketplace" - Search using "Dory Boat" - Nice looking rig for sale in Wodonga N.E Vic - No not mine, just trying to help.

Jezza94
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Jezza94 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:05 pm

Hi guys

Just an update -

Picked up a 2009 Stacer Seasprite 380 and a 25hp 2 stroke yam through a local dealer for $3650 with 12 months Warranty.
Comes with a few extras - anchor, elite 5x sounder, floor

Thanks so much for all your help
Last edited by Jezza94 on Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:38 pm

Congrats mate, that seems like a great deal.
enjoy the new toy!!!

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:14 pm

Very nice!
I appreciate all these threads as someone who's looking to acquire a boat someday in the future.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:16 pm

Congrats...are you going to post some pics of the new toy?

Jezza94
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Jezza94 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:25 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:16 pm
Congrats...are you going to post some pics of the new toy?
Picking it up on Saturday, keep an eye out!

Cheers,

Jeremy

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:04 pm

Jezza94 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:05 pm
Hi guys

Just an update -

Picked up a 2009 Stacer Seasprite 390 on a near new dumbier trailer and a 25hp 4 stroke yam through a local dealer for $3650 with 12 months Warranty.
Comes with a few extras - anchor, elite 5x sounder, floor

Thanks so much for all your help
Congrats on the new purchase mate!
Hope it catches you plenty of fish 😃
Cheers 👍🏻

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:18 pm

Jezza94 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:28 am
Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I'll go with a tiller steer. There's a few Stacer Seasprite 390-395's around - any experience with these hulls?
I've got a Stacer Seasprite 3.7m with a 15hp Johnno on the back. Great hull it handle the chop really well and can get up on the plane with 3 onboard no problems they are a great little boat but with a 25hp on the back would be better.
Attachments
DSCN2242.JPG
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Return to “Boating”