DIY Sparkie

Tackleberry
Has liked: 299 times

Re: DIY Sparkie

Post by Tackleberry » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:09 pm

Electrolysis
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

sandef
Has liked: 54 times

Post by sandef » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:25 pm

Tackleberry wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:09 pm
Electrolysis
You are correct

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:40 am

Ok here we go.If only using in Bay 1 new battery is ok
Wire up anchor winch thru anchor control panel direct to battery
Get 2 off terminal blocks-use commercial ones.1 for negative and one for positive mount them apart under dash need to be 10 amp rating or bigger
Get a 10 amp fuse and holder or a 10 amp circuit breaker and mount it very close to your battery
Get 10 or 15 amp house wiring and strip off white covering use the wire lengths for the boat wiring.
Connect red to positive of battery and other end to fuse or cct breaker,the other end of fuse or cct breaker connect to positive of terminal block under dash
Run black wire from Negative of battery to the other terminal block.
Purchase a swith box that has fuses in it, a marine one about $50 and connect to your negative and positive terminal blocks
Mount your bilge pump,lights,sounder and marine radio
Connect wires from these units to your switch box
Reason for fuse or cct breaker close to battery if you get a fault in wiring it will trip cct close to battery and not burn wiring up
House wiring will be ok as its rated at 240 volt 10 amp a lot greater than the thin wiring you purchase from Marine Joints-
Ive wired up many boats this way.
The way i would do it is mount all units first run wiring than connect
.ebay.com.au/itm/Waterproof-12V-24V-RV-Boat-Marine-6-Gang-Toggle-Switch-Panel-Fuse-LED-AU/402652629217?

Stevo PM me if you need more info

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:55 am

purple5ive wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:25 pm
rb85 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:11 pm
Have seen plenty of marine dealerships use employees that moonlight as electricians and it just does not work. Use a trade qualified Auto electrician or marine electrician.
if its basic wiring its not too bad mate.
ive done basic wiring like sounder, nav lights, trolling motor, trailer lights etc without too much hassle. just have to have a basic understanding of what's happening.
SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:38 pm

So you are saying its not possible to learn to do basic jobs yourself?

Ive watched 1000 cruising videos of people wiring up lights and sounders and USB ports. Surely they are not all trade qualified marine electricians? I am more than happy to pay someone to do big jobs. But i was quoted something like $150 last time i had the boat serviced to fit a $30 USB port. And $300 to install my sounder, which i was able to do myself in about 2 hours using the existing power (and upgrade of the same unit).
Im not saying it's not possible for someone to do a bit of basic wiring but I have seen plenty of "basic wiring" people who think they have done a quality job when the reality is it will deteriorate over time & it's rough as guts.

Have also seen marine service companies and so called marine elec businesses do substandard work.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

rb85

Post by rb85 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:58 am

denis barden wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:40 am
Ok here we go.If only using in Bay 1 new battery is ok
Wire up anchor winch thru anchor control panel direct to battery
Get 2 off terminal blocks-use commercial ones.1 for negative and one for positive mount them apart under dash need to be 10 amp rating or bigger
Get a 10 amp fuse and holder or a 10 amp circuit breaker and mount it very close to your battery
Get 10 or 15 amp house wiring and strip off white covering use the wire lengths for the boat wiring.
Connect red to positive of battery and other end to fuse or cct breaker,the other end of fuse or cct breaker connect to positive of terminal block under dash
Run black wire from Negative of battery to the other terminal block.
Purchase a swith box that has fuses in it, a marine one about $50 and connect to your negative and positive terminal blocks
Mount your bilge pump,lights,sounder and marine radio
Connect wires from these units to your switch box
Reason for fuse or cct breaker close to battery if you get a fault in wiring it will trip cct close to battery and not burn wiring up
House wiring will be ok as its rated at 240 volt 10 amp a lot greater than the thin wiring you purchase from Marine Joints-
Ive wired up many boats this way.
The way i would do it is mount all units first run wiring than connect
.ebay.com.au/itm/Waterproof-12V-24V-RV-Boat-Marine-6-Gang-Toggle-Switch-Panel-Fuse-LED-AU/402652629217?

Stevo PM me if you need more info
In all due respect this remark alone shows you have no idea what your talking about.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:40 am

rb85 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:55 am

Im not saying it's not possible for someone to do a bit of basic wiring but I have seen plenty of "basic wiring" people who think they have done a quality job when the reality is it will deteriorate over time & it's rough as guts.

Have also seen marine service companies and so called marine elec businesses do substandard work.
I totally understand that. Which is why i want to learn to do it correctly.

In the past i have wired things like trailer lights, a fuel gauge, a cigarette lighter and an old sounder. But i realise now that i was just running wires and connecting stuff with no real idea of what i was doing.

Like i said i would like to start by fitting something simple like a USB charger and go from there. In the future i plan on sailing my own cruising boat and would like to have at least a working knowledge of how things work and how to fix them myself if needed. Along with the ability to install things myself.

I dont really have anyone to show me, so the next best thing is to come here and ask to be pointed in the right direction.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:03 pm

Rb 85
Thanks for your comment -I knew it would draw attention
Please advise the forum of your Elect qualifications and experience
Mine is Aircraft Elect /Instrument apprenticeship Lisenced Aircraft Maintenance Enginer 23 Yrs,On civil and military aircraft
Elect Marine Foreman 20 years at Williamstown years on Navy Ships
Anyway-If you know anything about Ohms Law you wouldnt make such a comment
Please advise qualifications and experience

rb85

Post by rb85 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:30 pm

denis barden wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:03 pm
Rb 85
Thanks for your comment -I knew it would draw attention
Please advise the forum of your Elect qualifications and experience
Mine is Aircraft Elect /Instrument apprenticeship Lisenced Aircraft Maintenance Enginer 23 Yrs,On civil and military aircraft
Elect Marine Foreman 20 years at Williamstown years on Navy Ships
Anyway-If you know anything about Ohms Law you wouldnt make such a comment
Please advise qualifications and experience
Don’t need to present my resume
With all that experience surely you would realise that the current carrying capacity isn’t the issue rather the fact that TPS will be subject to corrosion a lot quicker than tinned copper cabling designed for marine environments. Plus multi strand tinned copper cabling also had a better current carrying capacity than TPS.

You seem to be looking for a **** swinging contest but the question isn’t whether house cabling will be capable of doing the job but whether it will last as long as cables made to suit

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:33 pm

Boat_Wiring_01_Pic.jpg
This is a schematic drew up for the re-wiring project on the newly landed boat.

Looking forward to getting all the constructive good, bad and ugly feedback from members whom have taken on the wiring task for their boat.

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:39 pm

Thanks VooDoo, that looks pretty much how my boat is wired now except without the house battery and i dont have any switchboard at the moment. Another thing i would like to have eventually, but maybe it will be on the next boat.

I was trying to avoid the ugly feedback based on previous posts on this topic (both here and other forums). Thats why i was asking for links to resources rather than opinions.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Return to “Boating”