looking at boats

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

looking at boats

Post by e.welch » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:42 pm

my friend has been looking at a boat and i was just wondering if you guys could help tell me if theirs going to be issues or if you think their might be something wrong with the boat the budget is around 5000 dollars ill add links to the boats in here
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bentlei ... 1269989624
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hadfiel ... 1269372585
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wildwoo ... 1269363713
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bacchus ... 1268925143
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/melton/ ... 1265667638

ben475
Has liked: 162 times

Re: looking at boats

Post by ben475 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:21 pm

how longs a piece of string?
without looking at the actual boat its hard to tell.

they always look better in the pictures.

any 5m fibreglass boat for $5k will have some serious question marks on it. transom and floor probably not in great shape.
older motor, could go for years without a drama or could have big problems.

maybe look for a nice clean 4.3m-4.5m aluminium and try and stretch the budget a bit further.

gregmaka
Has liked: 97 times

Post by gregmaka » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:04 pm

Some of those would make great restoration projects only if you are a little bit handy,and prepared to spend a few K,and aren't in a hurry to put them in the water.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:36 pm

If any boat s priced really well or somewhat of a bargain.
It can literally be sold with hours of advertising.
Need to know what ur after and be on it.
I recently bought old streaker with 4 stroke on it and nice trailer on it for 5 k.
Coming into winter, hopefully we will see prices settle a little.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

e.welch

Post by e.welch » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:04 pm

The last link I put In had a really good looking boat that looks to come with everything even a hose at the back of the boat I’m honesty not sure what to look for in pictures I think it would be better to ask on here before making any decision so if someone could look at the last link and tell me if they see any major problems with it please tell me because out of all the boats I have seen it looks to be the best

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:17 pm

Of the fibreglass boats the Savage Envoy with the 115hp Evinrude is the pick of the lot. The OMC rude of that vintage is a bloody solid engine, more so if you disconnect the oil injection system and just run premixed fuel. Boat may have soft spots or it may not.

The tinnys it's hard to go past the 390 Seasprite with 25hp Merc. Those motors are solid again, and the boat will be far easier to maintain. Its my pick of the lot to be honest

e.welch

Post by e.welch » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:12 am

cobby wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:17 pm
Of the fibreglass boats the Savage Envoy with the 115hp Evinrude is the pick of the lot. The OMC rude of that vintage is a bloody solid engine, more so if you disconnect the oil injection system and just run premixed fuel. Boat may have soft spots or it may not.

The tinnys it's hard to go past the 390 Seasprite with 25hp Merc. Those motors are solid again, and the boat will be far easier to maintain. Its my pick of the lot to be honest
What your opinion on the de havilland sea fury it looks a lot cleaner then the other boats and when I look at it I can’t see anything wrong except maybe the motor

Also with the dinghy how comfortable is it does it shake a lot on waver or is it really stable these are the main questions I have

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:48 pm

Can't say. Didn't even know De Havilland made glass boats to be honest. Between it and the Savage, motors are very similar, both OMC products of similar vintage that are reliable enough, the Savage obviously with lots more power and arguably powered better for the hull. How they're setup and what they have on them is much of a muchness leaning more towards the Savage. The Dunbier under the Savage is relatively new so points there vs the what appears homemade on the sea fury. And further points because the Savage hull is a known entity where the De Havilland is one that's pretty much unknown and I doubt there's many still in serviceable existence. Envoys are solid, decent enough handling boats.

As to the tinny, all boats rock and roll in waves. No escaping it unless you flog a frigate docked at BAE. The suggestion is purely as noobs a smaller, open tinny is far easier to handle, you won't grow over confident and **** up by going in ordinary conditions and you don't have hidden potential issues that cost thousands to remedy like stringers, floors and transoms in glass boats. At that bottom end of the market you either accept the risks buying one of the glass boats, or you play safer to get by for now with an eye on upgrading in future years with a much larger budget

e.welch

Post by e.welch » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:55 am

I’ll speak to my friend about maybe getting the tinny but he gets a bit sea sick it’s not real bad but if the boats constantly rocking he might get sick that’s all I was told fiberglasses are more stable

Return to “Boating”