Trailer bearings

ango

Trailer bearings

Post by ango » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:53 pm

I had a go at checking/repacking the trailer bearings today. I have been a bit slack, I skipped doing it last year. As it turned out they were in surprisingly good shape, I did not even have to replace the seals. Then again, with all lockdowns I have not been out as much as I would have liked, and there have not been any interstate trips, or even long trips within Vic, I have pretty much stuck to my local ramps. It's nice to know they are OK and ready for action, hopefully I will get out and about a bit more next year.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Trailer bearings

Post by ducky » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:31 am

Redid my trailer bearings and brakes a few weeks back whilst gelcoat was happening. That was a greasey way to spend an afternoon learning how it all goes together. Glad I learnt there and not on the side of the road.

I was a bit naughty and hadn’t changed em since I got the trailer in about 2017.

1 had milky grease but no signs of failure. The other had clean grease but the starting of pitting on the bearings.

Full disclosure I had the bearings bought to change in early 2020 but did the rebuild instead.

I’ve since rebought a full set of spares and have packaged them away ready for changing every couple of years.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Trailer bearings

Post by Nude up » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:30 pm

My theory is if you carry spare wheel bearings you will never need them if you don't carry them one will fail

Return to “Boating”