Which 5.5m boat for offshore?

WiseMax
Has liked: 2 times

Which 5.5m boat for offshore?

Post by WiseMax » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:07 am

Hi everyone, I’ve seen some awesome advice on this forum so thought I’d try it out myself.

I currently have a quintrex 4.5 runabout and I’m looking to upgrade to a glass boat for offshore fishing, generally going to reefs or hugging the coast.

I’m at a price point where I’ve narrowed it down to the following boats, and I’d like a view on how they ride in the sea and chop if anyone has experience:

1. Haines Signature 545f (which is the 543 hull in a cuddy cabin I believe;

2. Seafarer Viking

3. Cruise Craft 568.

Are these suitable for heading out when conditions get sloppy or should I look at a larger boat? I’m really sticking to this size due to budget and towing considerations. Any views appreciated !

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: Which 5.5m boat for offshore?

Post by Mattblack » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:14 am

Cobby is a wealth of info for this....If I had to choose glass, I wouldnt mind a Streaker.

WiseMax

Post by WiseMax » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:34 am

Is that a savage streaker? I’m looking at buying new so I don’t have the headache of rebuilding etc. i want to look it after from new because I’m pretty meticulous with my boats

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:00 am

WiseMax wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:34 am
Is that a savage streaker? I’m looking at buying new so I don’t have the headache of rebuilding etc. i want to look it after from new because I’m pretty meticulous with my boats
Don't think you can buy them new anymore (not sure of the backstory). Fair call buying a new boat though...peace of mind is worth the cash sometimes

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:19 am

WiseMax wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:07 am
Hi everyone, I’ve seen some awesome advice on this forum so thought I’d try it out myself.

I currently have a quintrex 4.5 runabout and I’m looking to upgrade to a glass boat for offshore fishing, generally going to reefs or hugging the coast.

I’m at a price point where I’ve narrowed it down to the following boats, and I’d like a view on how they ride in the sea and chop if anyone has experience:

2. Seafarer Viking

3. Cruise Craft 568.

Are these suitable for heading out when conditions get sloppy or should I look at a larger boat? I’m really sticking to this size due to budget and towing considerations. Any views appreciated !
If you are buying a boat for offshore use best to go bigger ie 6m. Ideally the biggest you can afford to buy, store and tow.

Of those boats the 545F is really a 5.2m hull and whilst a great 5.2m hull it is smaller than the rest.

Viking has a hard ride and is wet, but extremely stable.

The cruise craft 568 I haven't seen this model before but it looks like a typical cruise craft they are well finished stable but known for a hard ride.

Other boats you could look at that are made in victoria is caribbean, haines hunter, whittley.

All these 3 will ride better than the Viking and cruise craft and all have pros and cons.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:22 am

Mattblack wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:14 am
Cobby is a wealth of info for this....If I had to choose glass, I wouldnt mind a Streaker.
Not made anymore. Dunno if they'd share the finer details, but the Savage boys leased/sold/outsourced the molds and name to the Nichols boys in QLD (better known as Cruise Craft) around the time the naming of models changed from 5.45 to 5700 etc. Cruise Craft have since pulled the pin on building Streakers for some reason, likely to be sales.

cobby

Post by cobby » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:24 am

frozenpod wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:19 am
WiseMax wrote:

2. Seafarer Viking

3. Cruise Craft 568.

If you are buying a boat for offshore use best to go bigger ie 6m. Ideally the biggest you can afford to buy, store and tow.

Of those boats the 545F is really a 5.2m hull and whilst a great 5.2m hull it is smaller than the rest.

The cruise craft 568 I haven't seen this model before but it looks like a typical cruise craft they are well finished stable but known for a hard ride.

Other boats you could look at that are made in victoria is caribbean, haines hunter, whittley.

All these 3 will ride better than the Viking and cruise craft and all have pros and cons.
You really hate the Viking... Yet I don't mind it.

The CC 568 is nothing more than 38 added to the 530 Explorer of a few years ago

cobby

Post by cobby » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:27 am

Oh and if the bloke is as meticulous as he said, Haines Hunter would be one of the last I'd recommend..........

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:58 am

cobby wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:24 am
frozenpod wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:19 am
WiseMax wrote:

2. Seafarer Viking

3. Cruise Craft 568.

You really hate the Viking... Yet I don't mind it.

The CC 568 is nothing more than 38 added to the 530 Explorer of a few years ago
The reality is that they are hard and wet and don't handle all that well but they are brilliant at rest.

I thought that could be the case re cruise craft probably just a bow sprit included in the overall length instead of the hull length.

WiseMax

Post by WiseMax » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:51 pm

I’m happy to look at other recommendations you guys have also. I’ve heard lots of mixed reviews about new Haines Hunters so that has confused me - there’s also so many different models. Which would you recommend?

I could also consider a signature 580rf but too much bigger throws me over budget.

If I get to the point where I’m prepared to spend 90k on a boat I think I’d just get an edencraft 565 or a gunshot

Return to “Boating”