Downsizing Bay Boat

frankgoff
Has liked: 9 times

Downsizing Bay Boat

Post by frankgoff » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:48 pm

Newbie here to the forum. My dad is retiring to Melbourne (up from Tassie). Looking to get him a bay boat for him and his best mate to do some fishing in PPB.

We grew up with a Haines V17 which we used primarily for trolling off Pirates bay. It's a great boat, but after moving to Melbs, I'm looking to get him something lighter and more suited to the sort of fishing he'll be doing going forward.

Thinking tin- much lighter and easier for him and his mate (same age) to manage by themselves.
He will most likely do anchored bait fishing in the bay so a wide stable boat makes more sense than a pure narrow deep V like the Haines.

I've heard good things on boats like the Quintrex Busta/Dory family: Safe, steady and light.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/melbour ... 1287532924

Looking to spend around 20k. Is a used open tinny a good choice for PPB fishing or should I fork up more for a cabin boat? Any recs or leads would be greatly appreciated.

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Re: Downsizing Bay Boat

Post by canned_tuna » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:57 pm

Maybe look at something around 4.5 meres with a canopy. At least they will have a bit of shelter. I have had the savage safari 455 and they arfe a great boat for the bay

frankgoff

Post by frankgoff » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:56 pm

Thanks canned_tuna. That's a great insight to get a canopy. The Savage Safari 455 looks good. I'll check with the local dealers after the break.

Kennyboy
Has liked: 22 times

Post by Kennyboy » Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:05 pm

Stacer outlaw, quintrex renegade worth looking at, I have an outlaw, love it

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:40 pm

frankgoff wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:56 pm
Thanks canned_tuna. That's a great insight to get a canopy. The Savage Safari 455 looks good. I'll check with the local dealers after the break.
Dealers always overprice stuff I would recommend going to a dealership and seeing how much they charge for tinnys (the type you want) and then look on Facebook marketplace , gumtree or boat sales because you will probably find one cheaper. Also if you are going to buy one try run some tests on it (with fibreglass boats you go to the motor and try move it and if it moves then the back bits rotten and is going to cost a heap to repair)

frankgoff

Post by frankgoff » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:45 am

Thanks gang. I saw a few boats over the past few days. Both the Savage Safari and Renegade looked good. Beamy with surprisingly high sides.

Following e.welch's suggestion, I took a look on gumtree/fb marketplace and just got back from Port Mcdonnell after picking up a safari that came with a bimimi yesterday. Motor is an older 2 stroke so I'll probably repower with a modern 4s for that extra peace of mind. Will post photos once I've cleaned it up a bit.

On a side note, while looking on gumtree, I got distracted:
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-detai ... 1287641969

Some guy in Shepparton lists what looks like an old school Yalta Odessa at a great price. I've seen them around back in the day and I recall they're rough-around-the-edges but solid performing deep V hulls like the Haines. Does anyone have any experience with Yalta craft boats?
I wasn't planning on getting myself a boat as well but with the crazy prices these days, this seems reasonably priced boat that'll perform like the a V17 and I'm tempted to bite the bullet now in case prices keep rising.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:58 pm

Boats are normally dearer during summer.
This year boats, motorhomes & caravans have all skyrocketed.
They say it's because people can't go overseas, I'm not sure.
E.g.- bloke was selling a motorhome for $30,000 (30yo), I asked him a couple of questions & ended with "I assume it comes with a rwc at $30,000".... NO rwc. I did not proceed any further
Cheers Gra

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:59 am

Renegade and Savage-Plate boats have low sides inside the boat-Below the knee-easy to fall out if older.
For older guys like me -Stand in boat and make sure the sides are above knee hight.
Have a look at Side Steering Quintrex boats-With a 40 hp 4 stroke on it.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:14 am

Is the haines in good Nick? Or is it ready for rebuild?

Unless he is moving to geelong side where there’s far more protection or down southern peninsula I wouldn’t suggest downsizing to a 4.2m tinny. They’ll pound hard in any chop which is equally as bad as something that’s a little harder to manage at the ramp etc.

I’d be looking to make changes to the haines to make it more user friendly. Potentially permanently setup fenders and tie ropes. Setup the trailer for drive on and off and get a boat catch. Work out a step to get up and down safely. Etc.

The haines will be so much softer to cruise around in and give better protection

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:20 am

I'd be looking at 458 streaker or Haines 445 .Caribbean offshore
Those tin cans can't handle much chop
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Return to “Boating”