Has liked: 54 times

Stress-free winch

Post by sandef » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:51 am

Anyone had any problems

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Stress-free winch

Post by ducky » Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:27 pm

I couldn’t find any reason not to go with a lonestar. Never hear a bad word about them. Plus the performance is really good.

Only reason I’d have another brand is if it came on a boat and still worked.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bgQp6rJw_LY

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:43 pm

ducky wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:27 pm
I couldn’t find any reason not to go with a lonestar. Never hear a bad word about them. Plus the performance is really good.

Only reason I’d have another brand is if it came on a boat and still worked.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bgQp6rJw_LY
The infamous shootout didn't this cause a lot of controversy with dreamcatchers at the boat show...

I'm happy with my lonestar.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:39 pm

I had a stress free on my streaker a free fall type was fantastic for about 4 years the the freefall actuator played up I replaced a few diodes Inside the actuator all good after that. When I bought my new boat I couldn't wait to get rid of the capstan winch I fitted a lonestar gx I would have liked a stress free but economics came into it. I have been very happy with the lonestar . My neighbour the other day thought my winch was a free fall the other day we anchored in 22mt it's quite quick.

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:19 am

Had the same Lone Star GX1 winch on 2 boats has had 1000s of ups/downs -only problem I had to replace the control swicth a few times as it corrodes inside -$15 at a auto parts supplier.
Top unit I wouldnt buy any other -Combined with a SARCA No1 Anchor

sandef
Has liked: 54 times

Post by sandef » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:10 pm

Thx for the replys

beefy

Post by beefy » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:30 pm

A Stress Free winch came on my boat. I ripped it out for the sake of it and pulled it apart to the last nut and bolt. That included completely disassembling the gearbox and replacing bearings and seals. Nothing wrong with the existing bearings and seals but just thought I'd replace them while everything was in pieces. Ditto for the bearings in the motor which was disassembled too, although some wear on the carbon brushes which is to be expected.

The main issue I found was not mechanical, but aluminium and steel corrosion. If that is kept under control with regular spraying of Lanox, etc, the winch may last quite a long time. I found heaps of corrosion where the motor plastic cover sealed with an o-ring on the motor flange. Likewise the special rubber coated washers that seal the motor terminal bolts where they pass through the plastic cover, these washers were corroded and the rubber was falling off. I've cleaned and primed all the corroded surfaces and marine sealant will be used in the assembly.

Return to “Boating”