Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: getting tackle ready

Post by Mattblack » Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:39 pm

blacklab99 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:04 pm
Joker91 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:57 pm
I really need to get my reels ready. I’m getting a snapper this year no matter what!!

A few of you mentioned using wd40 to spray your reel down. What grease does everyone use?
I use only Cal's grease on my drags and there's a few good reel greases you can choose, I have a huge tub of the blue Penn reel grease, which seems to work great.
Wd40, is optional, a simple light rinse is normally plenty after a day out fishing, but if you use Wd40, make sure you have thoroughly rinsed of the reel first, otherwise wd40 will hold the grit...
Doesnt WD40 dissolve all the grease? I use Lanox MX4 on everything (boat, electrics, reels, trailer....it's good stuff)

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:05 pm

Hi Matt, From my experience, WD40 can hold grit and grime especially reels used on the beach, so I'm careful that the reel is well and truly rinsed before spraying any additives... Lanox is good stuff, multitude of uses....
Generally, most reels are reasonably water proof now, spraying the outsides won't hurt. Some of my upgraded iterations aren't as water proof as modern versions, so I give the sprays a miss and just service and grease internals when needed, depending on how hard they've been used...

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:17 pm

Joker91 wrote:
I really need to get my reels ready. I’m getting a snapper this year no matter what!!

A few of you mentioned using wd40 to spray your reel down. What grease does everyone use?
Quicksilver/Mercury Marine 2-4-C for main gearing, Inox MX6 squeeze tube for worm drives/oscillation gears and drag washers, and the MX6 watered down with the Daiwa needle nose oiler for bearings. Shellite/Naptha to clean off old grease and oils.

WD-40 goes nowhere near any of my reels. Inox MX4 sprayed on a rag and then wiped over the reel sans spool once in a blue moon

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:14 pm

cobby wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:17 pm
Joker91 wrote:

Quicksilver/Mercury Marine 2-4-C for main gearing, Inox MX6 squeeze tube for worm drives/oscillation gears and drag washers, and the MX6 watered down with the Daiwa needle nose oiler for bearings. Shellite/Naptha to clean off old grease and oils.

WD-40 goes nowhere near any of my reels. Inox MX4 sprayed on a rag and then wiped over the reel sans spool once in a blue moon
Sounds complicated Cobby...... :-D

I used mx6 on my drag washers on my big gear for a season, and a few of my project upgrade reels, but went back to Cal's, found it gave better more consistent drag results. It was also tested in the hex drag system with smooth drag products and came up trumps.
I find the problem with using multiple grade types inside, kinda defeats the purpose a tad, pretty well all ends up mixed and messy and combined by the next time you open it up.. But, every one to there own, not knocking it by any means, any self servicing is the way to go, then you know it's done.
I'll swap and change grease brands every now and then, but I like the Penn grease at the minute, suitable for all gears inside, especially good on the new S/Steel gear sets and sleeve upgrades I'm doing.. Bearings, best oil I've found is TSI, a mate from the states sent some over for me to try, I remove the bearing shields and regularly just add a drop or two, Like night and day compared to all the other oils available.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:15 am

blacklab99 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:14 pm
cobby wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:17 pm
Joker91 wrote:

Sounds complicated Cobby...... :-D

I used mx6 on my drag washers on my big gear for a season, and a few of my project upgrade reels, but went back to Cal's, found it gave better more consistent drag results. It was also tested in the hex drag system with smooth drag products and came up trumps.
I find the problem with using multiple grade types inside, kinda defeats the purpose a tad, pretty well all ends up mixed and messy and combined by the next time you open it up.. But, every one to there own, not knocking it by any means, any self servicing is the way to go, then you know it's done.
I'll swap and change grease brands every now and then, but I like the Penn grease at the minute, suitable for all gears inside, especially good on the new S/Steel gear sets and sleeve upgrades I'm doing.. Bearings, best oil I've found is TSI, a mate from the states sent some over for me to try, I remove the bearing shields and regularly just add a drop or two, Like night and day compared to all the other oils available.
Not really. The 2-4-C is sticky enough that it doesn't really move off the main and pinion gears inless you've got nfi and coat the whole thing in a 5mm layer, but it's far to thick for worm drives and oscillation gears and just creates far to much inertia especially on light reels. Those smaller drives are usually so small you're using next to no grease so the run off when it does thin out from heat or oil leaking from a bearing there's not much mess anywhere. I've never had an issue with the squeeze tube mx6 on the drag washers, and I usually almost lock them up well above the usual 1/3rd breaking strain in use.
I prefer to thin out grease for the bearings from a rust prevention perspective and the difference in free spin isnt dramatic enough to have a big effect on any bearing internally. Except on the spool bearings on my light baitcaster, that is straight oil in the open bearings so it'll spin adequately casting only a couple of grams.
And you're right about self servicing. It's not difficult for anyone who half knows how to use a screwdriver and doesn't have poor eyesight

Return to “Boating”