getting tackle ready

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

getting tackle ready

Post by blacklab99 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:40 pm

Who else spends un godly hours, stripping, cleaning and going over all your tackle, in readiness for the pending season's fishing.

It's time to thin the stable down me thinks, far to many rod and reel set ups, with the lie that all are needed for that " specific" purpose.

Anyways, I'm all set, just waiting for the weather to play ball.

Col

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Re: getting tackle ready

Post by crumpet_avenger » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:00 pm

I buy cheap **** so I dont have to look after it
I plan to use it for 12 months.

I've still got most of it from 5 years ago.

Still pulls up fish without needing saltguide like some people who use the best gear available

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:04 pm

Did all that when we were in lockdown.
Still yet to cull some rods and reels, impulse buys are a curse!
I havent updated the gear in a while, so I really can't complain too much.

Don Fisher
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Don Fisher » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:14 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:00 pm
I buy cheap **** so I dont have to look after it
I plan to use it for 12 months.

I've still got most of it from 5 years ago.

Still pulls up fish without needing saltguide like some people who use the best gear available
Same as me. Just a rinse and a bit of wd40 every now and then. Change leader and hooks after most sessions

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:30 pm

Yeah, Lock down had it's advantages !!!.
I've a mixture of some " cheaper type" set ups, plus some quality set ups, it makes no difference, the quality stuff will fail just the same as the cheap stuff if you don't look after them.
A simple rinse and Wd40 certainly does the trick and generally all that's needed thru out any season..
I build ( rebuild ) a lot of my reels, upgraded internals etc, so happy also to do all my own annual servicing on all the others. I've had failures in the past, with a decent fish on the other end and learnt my lesson big time about keeping gear properly maintained, mainly for out wide fishing..

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:35 pm

blacklab99 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:40 pm
Who else spends un godly hours, stripping, cleaning and going over all your tackle, in readiness for the pending season's fishing.

It's time to thin the stable down me thinks, far to many rod and reel set ups, with the lie that all are needed for that " specific" purpose.

Col
Pending seasonCol?I presume that's snapper season that you mean because if it's whiting then I haven't stopped all winter and neither have the fish from Clifton Springs around to St.leonards my last catch of whiting was 2 weeks ago
But have been slowly getting the snapper gear ready and catching plenty of bait for them

Joker91
Has liked: 111 times

Post by Joker91 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:57 pm

I really need to get my reels ready. I’m getting a snapper this year no matter what!!

A few of you mentioned using wd40 to spray your reel down. What grease does everyone use?

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:52 am

fishnut wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:35 pm
blacklab99 wrote:

Col
Pending seasonCol?I presume that's snapper season that you mean because if it's whiting then I haven't stopped all winter and neither have the fish from Clifton Springs around to St.leonards my last catch of whiting was 2 weeks ago
But have been slowly getting the snapper gear ready and catching plenty of bait for them
Just meaning in general fishnut..
I'm now up on the NSW south coast, so seasons for me vary much more than when I was in Victoria.
With only a 15-20 minute run out to the shelf, there's a definite season change on species up here, ( when the weather plays ball).
Same-same thou I guess fishing any area, there's also opportunities up here as well to fish all year round, again, weather dependant, but a big change in the tackle used.
still need to do a big cull on the number of set ups I have, as we all do I guess, collect far to much...

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:12 am

blacklab99 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:52 am
fishnut wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:35 pm
blacklab99 wrote:

Col
Just meaning in general fishnut..
I'm now up on the NSW south coast, so seasons for me vary much more than when I was in Victoria.
With only a 15-20 minute run out to the shelf, there's a definite season change on species up here, ( when the weather plays ball).
Same-same thou I guess fishing any area, there's also opportunities up here as well to fish all year round, again, weather dependant, but a big change in the tackle used.
still need to do a big cull on the number of set ups I have, as we all do I guess, collect far to much...
Should be some great fishing up around there

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:04 pm

Joker91 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:57 pm
I really need to get my reels ready. I’m getting a snapper this year no matter what!!

A few of you mentioned using wd40 to spray your reel down. What grease does everyone use?
I use only Cal's grease on my drags and there's a few good reel greases you can choose, I have a huge tub of the blue Penn reel grease, which seems to work great.
Wd40, is optional, a simple light rinse is normally plenty after a day out fishing, but if you use Wd40, make sure you have thoroughly rinsed of the reel first, otherwise wd40 will hold the grit...

Return to “Boating”