New boat option

Pdiddy24
Has liked: 49 times

Re: New boat option

Post by Pdiddy24 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:06 pm

Thanks Frozenpod - hadn't considered that re: cats. Tend to read or see one video saying one thing then another saying next. Good to hear from real time experience though hence asking seeking advice.

Love the look of those. Would be torn between half cab and some form of walk around or cc.
Stupid question but Haines Hunter and Haines Sigs are different companies?

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:35 pm

Pdiddy24 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:17 pm
blacklab99 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:43 pm
So, from what I can make out on this, you'll be looking at around 20k boat and there trailer, plus motor, say 10 ish. ????

I think there are better options out there rather than sinking 30k into this set up, personally....

I like the plastic fantastics, but for 30K, you could get a seriously rebuilt small fibreglass boat with a pretty decent motor in the 5 meter range, let alone an aluminium size similar to this...
I almost bought a plastic once, a bigger variety, but as mentioned, I don't think there's to much advantage for a twin hull in this size.
I think this would be a Bare minimum hull, at best for your type and location that you'd be fishing, doesn't float my boat sorry.
I would be visiting the boat show and seriously looking harder at other options before you decide, or pull the trigger on this one.
30K, even in this inflated market, would still buy a fairly decent boat .....

Thanks for that. Need the reality check and def value the advice. and as you say once I start adding and trying to get it setup the way I'd want it's going to def tip well into the $30s.
I'll keep searching and see it where it progresses.

What boat do you havd now Blacklab? All good if not say
Any thoughts on how much more work fibreglass would be compared to alloy? Another reason looking at plastic is I tend to use crappier ramps when it's busy that bigger boats can't use
I have a restored 5.4 mtr Cruise craft, it fits my needs perfectly.
That's what I think you have to figure out now. As I said, 30k will buy you a pretty decent fibre glass or Aluminium boat.
Port Phillip and Western Port are underestimated, as far as weather conditions and how bad they can cut up.
Keep looking, Frozens suggestions are all good options, check out as many as you can. Consider what you can Tow, think about the fact that maybe a bigger boat may well mean you have to launch at the main ramps, sometimes frustrating, but your generally much more comfortable in the lesser conditions... I'd go Fibreglass, not knocking Ali, but there's a heap of better options.. Maybe look at the bigger Polycraft options if you like plastic rather than the plastic cat.. For me, a cat comes into its own up round the 6 meter plus range, not an with under 5 meter model. ( my opinion ).
My rig suits me, but,,,, Nothing is ever set in stone as they say, and because of where I live now, I'm now tossing up about doing another project.. I've spotted a potential Victim, would never have considered this back in Melbourne because of it's size, but seriously thinking about it.....
Good luck with your search, take your time, look at plenty of options, and Keep you mind open....

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:26 pm

Pdiddy24 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:02 pm
ducky wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:44 pm
What's the reason for wanting a cat?

I don't think you'll reap any benefits in that size and honestly the mono hull tinnies of that size will probably give better performance.
I think in my mind just the stability of them and the level of floatation achieved. Deck space at that size as well. Open to new ideas too see what's out there. I know nothing about boats though so reaching out here to get opinions.

I don't think I'd back to a tinny to be honest. Had a 5.5m cc, nothing flash but ride wasn't great. Also, conscious of thre safety side of things a lot more now with limited and basic floatation of the tinnys.
The corrosion used drive me mad as well. It wasn't a sealed floor being a pressed hull so water would get down sides easily, and also washing it out. Forever checking under floor boards and maintenance wore me down a bit in the end with it.

Had seen a video on 445f cc by Johnsoms or something on The Captains video. That looked like a nice little setup
Same hull I've got. But honestly the prices are getting out of control on them these days. I spoke with Johnson brothers a year ago and they were $25k hull only for their 445. So add another $30-35k to have running with new motor trailer and leccy. $60k is a lot to pay for a 4.5m boat. But having said that I fuggen love mine.

viewtopic.php?t=24252

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:31 pm

Pdiddy24 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:06 pm
Thanks Frozenpod - hadn't considered that re: cats. Tend to read or see one video saying one thing then another saying next. Good to hear from real time experience though hence asking seeking advice.

Love the look of those. Would be torn between half cab and some form of walk around or cc.
Your question is worth a google. Cos there's some history there and my explanation is probably not 100% accurate.

But haines hunter was owned by the haines family from inception in the late 60's I think. With haines being the family name and hunter being a tip of the cap to Raymond hunt. after some business went down in the 90's I think omc took ownership. Then the haines signature brand was born which is owned by the haines family. Haines hunter is owned by John haber these days and by all accounts he is not a nice person haha

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:41 pm

Pdiddy24 wrote:
Haines Hunter owned by John Haber and built on Derrimut. Haines Signature owned by Greg Haines and John Haines (plus other family and also own Seafarer and the now defunct Tournament brand) and built in Wacol QLD.

That cat, base hull nothing else 11k ex freight. Add 7k for their trailer, you can't get another trailer to suit without copying their setup due to the tendency of plastic to bend and flex over time around things like skids or rollers. A 70hp Yammy installed you're looking at very little change from 13k. You're over 30k with nothing but bmt.

For bugger all extra money you can get a SCBX16 which is a cheaper version of the Signature 485sf (fairly stable for a deepV mono and drier than expected with the ability to slowly deck out yourself with their prefabbed add ons) Plenty of decent tinnies. Older Haines 445F or a flop like a Flycraft or Jackaroo of you can find one. Lots of second hand boats. Hell there is a decked out Formula 15 for 47k right now. All more proven over years than a new cat

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:01 pm

ducky wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:31 pm
Pdiddy24 wrote:

Your question is worth a google. Cos there's some history there and my explanation is probably not 100% accurate.

But haines hunter was owned by the haines family from inception in the late 60's I think. With haines being the family name and hunter being a tip of the cap to Raymond hunt. after some business went down in the 90's I think omc took ownership. Then the haines signature brand was born which is owned by the haines family. Haines hunter is owned by John haber these days and by all accounts he is not a nice person haha
Close. Went into partnership with overseas interests for financial reasons and they effectively kicked him out eventually, took over and eventually sold to OMC in the late 80s. Haber bought the lot early 2000s after OMC went broke in the late 90s (Telwater bought Stacer at the same time, Bombadier Recreational Products bought Johnson and Evinrude, some yank boat brands sold to BRP and Brunswick). The brand name is as you said, but the Hunter side is because their first hulls were built on Hunts original moulds

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:06 pm

If your keen on the poly boats then definitely consider the polycraft brumby ( or warrior, if you can afford the extra)
Has everything the poly boats are known for and are built like a tank.
Downside is the weight....

There's also the smartwave boats which are made in NZ .lot lighter for the same size, and cheaper.
I have the sw4200 and love it, but it is more of an lure fishing rig as opposed to a proper bay boat. Thats the way I have set it up.
Smartwave also do a 4800 model which is also foam filled from factory like the 4200.

Otherwise like the others have said a nice FG hull would also be a great choice.

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:41 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:06 pm
If your keen on the poly boats then definitely consider the polycraft brumby ( or warrior, if you can afford the extra)
Has everything the poly boats are known for and are built like a tank.
Downside is the weight....

There's also the smartwave boats which are made in NZ .lot lighter for the same size, and cheaper.
I have the sw4200 and love it, but it is more of an lure fishing rig as opposed to a proper bay boat. Thats the way I have set it up.
Smartwave also do a 4800 model which is also foam filled from factory like the 4200.

Otherwise like the others have said a nice FG hull would also be a great choice.
Interestingly, I almost pulled the trigger on a warrior years back, the package mean't a new Etec on the back, which probably swayed me, but I was really impressed with it's ride.. I went out in the bigger model, cant remember the name, next size up from the warrior, it was a lump of a boat, but was put off it because it physically moves and twists when u went thru the rough stuff, it was kinda off putting in a way, road brilliantly and it was a lump of a boat. My pick would be the Warrior, very very impressed... But I went the fibre glass way in the end...

Pdiddy24
Has liked: 49 times

Post by Pdiddy24 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:53 pm

Thank you thank you thank you for the responses.

I'll be constrained by tow weight of 1500kg total. Overall height of 2.3m as well. Something easy to launch solo as well. Trying to get partner on board more so looking a cabin style as well to

Thanks for the history on Haines. Had no idea.
Is there a difference in quality between thr two boats now? Had a look and have say the Haines look to be better layout and maybe value as well. Looking at newish boats

Thanks for those options to look into.

Have on my list
Haines 485 SF, 535SF
Cruise craft but look to be too heavy for towing etc.
Cobby suggestion of that cc
Haines signature 4.5 to 5.5m models
Polycraft models - love these. Size at 5m might get heavy but should be ok

Others I haven't really looked at yet
Seafarer V-SEA - love look of these compared to any other but 19 deg. deadrise might be a hard riding?

Is timber in hulls an issue now with fibreglass? Seem a mix of builders use composite or timber

Thank you!

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:50 am

What is your tow vehicle?

Return to “Boating”