IMG_20221026_193336.jpg
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: Looking at purchasing my first boat

Post by cobby » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:20 pm

Was I dreaming it or did you mention someone somewhere else recommended a Quinnie Busta or Stacer Rampage? Well, they're the exact same boats now, with different stickers. But you'll have to double your budget (or finance the rest) to get in one of them new.

Tiller is the ultimate casting platform. Nothing is there to get in the way. Fighting fish, a centre is better than side console as you can walk 360° around a centre. But, design wise, they do perceivably take up more space.

Now if you want it for the bay mostly, forget hulls like the Savage Jabiru, Stacer Proline, Quintrex Explorer etc. Basically wide, beamy, flat arsed v-nosed punt things designed primarily for flat protected water. Extremely stable at rest, extremely back breaking in short sharp chop (exactly what PPB produces). The narrower the boat, with a sharp entry carried as far rearward as possible is best for cutting through chop (when combined with weight), except they're shithouse when it comes to stability.

~4.2m tin, you'd ideally want something heavy to aid the ride so ~2.5-3mm sheet thickness allround, little bit of fishing comfort like flat flooring and casting decks helps add weight too, and to get the best stability you could with a decent ride you'd want 2-2.1m beam in a traditional "deep" V tinny design. Lucky for you, basically every manufacturer from the Telwater brands (Quintrex, Stacer, Savage) to Horizon, Stessco/Anglapro, Bluefin all have 4.2m hulls of 2+m beams with almost all running 3mm thickness all over of varying layouts and fit out levels these days compared to yesteryears thinner pressed sheet more basic setups.

BUT, brand new, you're minimum 6k short, for a BMT tiller steer package with the absolute bare bones of layouts and at minimum rec hp.

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:42 pm

Yeah, a friend vouched for the Quintrex Busta 420, or the Stacer Rampage 429, which you're complete right - exactly the same boat pretty much. Removed the comment, not to give the impression that I already had my mind made up haha!

After looking into quite a few makes and models, you're right about them all being very similar around that 4.2m size, in thickness, extras, etc.

Realistically, I feel that I'll end up buying one of these models around that 4.2m mark, tiller steer, new and spending that little bit more for some of the extra options. I think that these questions has helped shaped my understanding of what I'm looking for in a boat from a functional perspective, but also what is available on the market at the moment. Until then, it's more research into models, features and everything else required to kit one out.

LMAO Brisbane Yamaha posted an hour ago 'Quintrex Busta 420 on water review + how to launch solo'.
The universe works in mysterious ways!
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:06 pm

One thing to add. For longevity of the hull you buy get one with wide gunnels. Not the type that's essentially a capped off sheet. Wide gunnels give you somewhere to sit. Lean. Mount stuff to etc. i could see you upgrading solely to get that down the track.

Lots of fishing can be done out of a tiller steer. If you're doing inshore stuff 95% of the time where you launch at lenno and drive a max of 3kms tiller will be fine. If you're doing long hours driving tiller can be a bit more painful.

Ultimately I'd go tiller to keep the entry costs downand then add a console and steering along with the fitout if you ultimately decide to stick with that boat.

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:07 pm

Andrews wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:29 pm
Thank you everyone for the further replies,

Thanks Ben475, agreed with boats being such a personal preference. I appreciate the opinion on the side console. I've comfortable used tiller steer in the past, the whole side console / sounder setup looked that bit more functional. Very true about tinnies and getting hot!

Cheers Seniorfisho, that eases a few thoughts I had towards the advantage side console. A boat is a big investment, and I'd rather make an educated decision! Agreed with the new. Thanks!

Thanks Purple5ive, you do make a good point! I think if I'm willing and in a position to spend a little more that'll open up more options, tiller, side, centre console, etc. I think functionality will be the deciding factor! Stability will be an important consideration.
I suggested side console because I thought that's what you were after but as Purple said, a centre console is the best option

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:31 pm

Andrews wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:42 pm
Yeah, a friend vouched for the Quintrex Busta 420, or the Stacer Rampage 429, which you're complete right - exactly the same boat pretty much. Removed the comment, not to give the impression that I already had my mind made up haha!

After looking into quite a few makes and models, you're right about them all being very similar around that 4.2m size, in thickness, extras, etc.

Realistically, I feel that I'll end up buying one of these models around that 4.2m mark, tiller steer, new and spending that little bit more for some of the extra options. I think that these questions has helped shaped my understanding of what I'm looking for in a boat from a functional perspective, but also what is available on the market at the moment. Until then, it's more research into models, features and everything else required to kit one out.

LMAO Brisbane Yamaha posted an hour ago 'Quintrex Busta 420 on water review + how to launch solo'.
The universe works in mysterious ways!
Features wise there's barely enough indistinguishable between them all. The Telwater boats (Busta, Rampage, Savage Kestrel) will have the most room under the cast deck of all the "base" models from all manufacturers as there is no traditional thwart seat as part of the setup. Stessco Catcher 420 Ltd/Anglapro CSR424 (same boat) have the longest side pockets of all the manufacturers. Them, the Sea Jay Magnum 428 Xpack, Savage Osprey, Horizon Easyfisher 435, Bluefin Rogue, Stessco Tornado SF all come standard with extruded wide gunnels, whereas the Busta, Rampage, Savage Kestrel, Horizon Allrounder and std Sea Jay Magnum don't and it's not a factory option with the Stacer/Quintrex. The Bluefin, Stessco/Anglapro and Horizon Allrounder are the narrowest of the lot at only 1.85m, so will be less stable at rest than the others. The Busta and Rampage have the best below waterline hull shape bar none and likely the best ride. The blade hull and revolution hull is the same bloody thing. Like for like setup, the Stacer will be cheaper than the Quintrex, you pay extra for the Quintrex stickers.... And there's still more models I haven't even mentioned.

As you can see it's a bloody minefield of same same but different (or just a different brand sticker on the identical boats in some cases). Ultimately for peace of mind/ease of follow up service you'd want a dealership near enough to not be a hassle to take it in for a service or to get a minor issue looked at so base whatever brands you're looking at around what's available near the bellarine. Quintrex/Stacer have the largest dealer footprint of all brands. I'd be less worried about the engine brand the dealer has, they're all so similar and consistently reliable I'd worry about which one has the boat itself you like best and one you like to deal with that you don't think is a !(÷>head. Stick to a basic factory std boat, motor, trailer package at order time (except for adding a bloody transducer bracket if not std and maybe a bowmount motor bracket). You don't know exactly what you like/dislike about anything at this stage, and sticking barebones keeps initial purchase price down, allows you to play around and discover what you'd like to change or add, and being aluminium you can get just about anything welded on anywhere or changed at any time by a local competent aluminium fabrication shop for relatively cheap. Most of your purchase cost is in your motor (Mercury 40ELHPT is about $8500 in a box for example (thats electric start, tiller, power tilt and trim)), so as much as dropping down classes to a 25/30hp might be appealing to save a couple of grand, most of the boats are all 200kg+ without gear and 432-552cc no matter what you do to help it can't compete with the 747-941cc 40hp motors at the end of the day.

Happy hunting :ch:

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:59 am

Thank you for the advice, Ducky, and your comments regarding the wide gunnels is one that I've been reflecting on the past 24 hours. After seeing photos of models with and without wide gunnels, I've made a note of these features being included in what I'm ultimately looking for.

Yeah, Seniorfisho and completely understandable - that was the original idea, I appreciate the recommendation!

You've definitely given me food for thought there Cobby, and I think with so many similarly built and priced options it's more determining what physical features I consider valuable to the overall function of a base model boat, and what each model / dealer can offer.
Things like what has been mentioned:
- Side gunnels
-Transducer bracket
- Anchor well variations between models, etc
-Full carpeted casting deck
-Side pockets

Cheers all
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:13 pm

Screenshot_20221031-120234_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20221031-120223_Facebook.jpg
Something like this ? ,nav light, gunnels , sounder box ect
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:31 pm

Pretty much exactly along those lines!
Cheers for sharing that Bowl!

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:59 pm

Screenshot_20221101-165840_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20221101-165836_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20221101-165824_Facebook.jpg
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Return to “Boating”