Fishing with Braid

Growlermz

Fishing with Braid

Post by Growlermz » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:20 am

Hi Everybody,

I usually fish with Mono line, however I have recently bought 2 outfits with braid on it.

I am very green when it comes to fishing (specifically knot tying) with braid and was hoping someone will be able to give me some pointers.

1 of the rods I would like to use for casting lures and the other for dropping baits, can any one please give me some pointers on how to rig up my line with both a paternoster and a running sinker rig for the bait rod and the some pointers on how to rig up for casting lures.

your help is much appreciated

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Fishing with Braid

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:30 am

Growlermz wrote:Hi Everybody,

I usually fish with Mono line, however I have recently bought 2 outfits with braid on it.

I am very green when it comes to fishing (specifically knot tying) with braid and was hoping someone will be able to give me some pointers.

1 of the rods I would like to use for casting lures and the other for dropping baits, can any one please give me some pointers on how to rig up my line with both a paternoster and a running sinker rig for the bait rod and the some pointers on how to rig up for casting lures.

I also use mono for most of my gear - gummy rods and surf fishing gear
however I now use braid on my light rods

for your leader to braid try a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi4BE-vNqPE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube]pi4BE-vNqPE[/youtube]
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Abuthen

Post by Abuthen » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:24 am

Brett posted these in another thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scroll about halfway down for Brett's post
You'll see 2 basic variations for each rig you wanted

I use something like this for the running sinker instead of the snap swivel used in his pic.

There are many many variations to the Paternoster. You can use a Palomar knot for the part that leads to the hook(s)
or

You can even use one of the new scent tubes for the sinker that SFP Chick is selling which can then act as the sinker with scent/berley added.

Rig according to wind so you can cast it to where you want to, and speed of water, for getting it to stay there. Sinker weight and shape will matter there.
Abuthen

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:14 am

Growlermz wrote:Hi Everybody,

One easy step mate. Go and buy Geoff Wilson's book of knots and rigs...seriously, I'm not being sarcastic or funny, it's a great investment.. :thumbsup:

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:16 pm

Yep, agree with Carl, I recommend this book to all new anglers I talk too. For $20 it's something that is invaluable as a beginner :)

SFP Chick

Post by SFP Chick » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:56 am

Brett wrote:Yep, agree with Carl, I recommend this book to all new anglers I talk too. For $20 it's something that is invaluable as a beginner :)
Can't agree more,

Always great to practice your knots at home with a bevvie when the weather is crap & you can't get out for a fish.

YouTube is ok, but I find that sometimes you can't see what they're doing, because they put their hands between the knot & the camera DOH!!

However in saying all that garb, doesn't matter what I do, I can't master an Albright.

Cheers Amanda

Return to “Boating”