Mazda CX-9 Good, bad, tow?

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Mazda CX-9 Good, bad, tow?

Post by Scraglor » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:32 pm

A bit off topic but any opinions on the santa fe diesels?

Freshfishin

Post by Freshfishin » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:18 pm

I bought a new Kluger for the bride back in 2009, all in all pretty happy with the car for carting the family around however, I don't like it for towing the boat. Having said that it is only the 2wd model. I had a 5m fibreglass boat and dragged it back to Melbourne a few times for servicing, I found that even with level rider bars I could balance everything out making the Kluger like a dog on Lineo to drive.
My advice if you can buy her a car that she's happy with and buy yourself a tow vehicle.
Good luck and hopefully there are many successful fishing trips to be had

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:12 pm

Scraglor wrote:A bit off topic but any opinions on the santa fe diesels?
They are cheap and pretty decent for what they are designed for.

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:18 pm

raco09 wrote:Kluger is not a true 4x4. Awd. Thirsty as. Cx9 is nice, maybe a little thirsty, but not sure how it will cope towing. Again awd? Challenger although probably not as luxurious as the others will handle the job with ease and is a true 4x4. Good luck
Challenger is worth a look, cheap and bit underpowered but will tow 2000kg no problem.

Not sure why you like the kluger is thirsty the one I had (company car) was very efficient.

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:22 pm

Freshfishin wrote:I bought a new Kluger for the bride back in 2009, all in all pretty happy with the car for carting the family around however, I don't like it for towing the boat.
The suspension is lacking IMO in the Kluger.

Both the Prado and Kluger have very soft shocks nice and comftable on the FWY but not good for towing.

Upgraded shocks a slightly stiffer springs makes a world of difference to the prado and would most likely do the same for a kluger.

intercooledpc2
Has liked: 2 times

Post by intercooledpc2 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:03 pm

Thanks for the very helpful comments folks, that's good info. What's the deal with the 4cl turbo diesel x-trails, would they be any good for towing my 5.3 fiberglass boat? It's only rated at 127 kW but has decent torque at 360nm. Would a V6 petrol Kluger be better at towing rated at 201kw, but only 337nm torque? I'm really considering and x-trail now, but being a 4cyl with not much power really worries me. Both the Kluger and the x-trail are rated at 2000kg braked towing. Any further thought? 4cl turbo diesel or v6 petrol? Thanks, so confused!

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:23 pm

I have a prado 4cyl 127kw diesel 6 speed auto and it tows a 650 haines no problem at all I have only had the boat 10 months I towed it back from sydney and done 1 bermie trip and have towed the boat at least once a fortnight. As frozenpod said the prado has a soft suspension I fitted polyairbags works a treat as for consumption I average 10 litres per 100k to and from work when towing rises to about 15 litres per 100k. previously I had xr6's 6cyl petrol and the consumption went up almost 10 litres over normal

Drifta-X

Post by Drifta-X » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:45 pm

Patrol, land cruiser (not the lady version prado), hilux or amarok.
U want to tow heavy properly, look at these and no further!!

Freshfishin

Post by Freshfishin » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:09 pm

As an owner of a kluger I would say go the x-trail diesel. It would be heaps better on fuel.

intercooledpc2
Has liked: 2 times

Mazda CX-9 Good, bad, tow?

Post by intercooledpc2 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:11 pm

Nude up wrote:I have a prado 4cyl 127kw diesel 6 speed auto and it tows a 650 haines no problem at all I have only had the boat 10 months I towed it back from sydney and done 1 bermie trip and have towed the boat at least once a fortnight. As frozenpod said the prado has a soft suspension I fitted polyairbags works a treat as for consumption I average 10 litres per 100k to and from work when towing rises to about 15 litres per 100k. previously I had xr6's 6cyl petrol and the consumption went up almost 10 litres over normal
Nice. I was actually surprised the big Prado diesels are 4cyl, I don't think there is a 6cyl option in the diesel if I'm not mistaken. I guess that's where the diesels shine though, big torque at low rpm - sounds like a good thing gowing up a boat ramp. I have no towing experience and likewise, i haven't had anything other than small 4 cyl petrol cars. Really don't want to buy something that's going to struggle towing, but at the same time, want a good daily driver for the family and nothing too big the wife won't like.. The size of a Kluger or x-trail fits the size part - but not sure which is more capable of towing still.. I understand that neither are the best, bit still should be okay right? It would mostly be short trips towing the boat to the ramp and back and the occasional 1.5 hour weekend getaway tow.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”