Cemetery Rescued (well nearly)

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Cemetery Rescued (well nearly)

Post by Texas » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:22 pm

After 3+ years of fighting for this cemetery, it is finally going to be restored.
I would like to publicly thank Jill Hennessy (Health Minister) for taking me seriously & not fobbing me off, like the previous Minister.
What does the cemetery looks like now.. you can look on australiancemeteries or the advocate Hepburn.

TRENTHAM’s abandoned Blue Mountain cemetery will be restored and upgraded from its current neglected, overgrown state.

The condition of the cemetery was brought to light recently by Melbourne man Graham Walker, whose great aunt is buried – and lost – amid the bracken-riddled site.

Mr Walker had called on the trustees of that time – the Hepburn Shire Council – to clean the cemetery up to “show a bit of respect for our ancestors”.

The cemetery had seemingly not been maintained since the council was appointed as trustee in the 1980s, soon after the last person was buried there.

However, when contacted by The Advocate, the council argued the cemetery was not located within its municipal boundaries and would be more appropriately the responsibility of Moorabool Shire Council – which had heard nothing of the case.

The Department of Health and Human has recently announced it has put in place interim arrangements for the cemetery’s restoration and maintenance while the delegation issue is resolved, with the the Ballaarat General Cemeteries Trust nominated as managers on a temporary basis.

The spokesman said representatives from the trust had inspected the site and identified which works needed to be undertaken, with a maintenance schedule for ongoing management currently being developed.

“It is anticipated that the work will commence as soon as the trust has finalised all contractual arrangements for necessary equipment hire and personnel required to complete the work,” he said.

Mr Walker said the news was “magnificent” after having campaigned for so long to restore the remote, hidden burial site.

“It’s three years of fighting, banging your head against the wall. Now something is going to happen, which is great, and they’re going to signpost it, so you’ll know this is Blue Mountain Cemetery,” he said.

“I am stoked, I really am. It still could take a while because it’s government departments but the fact it’s going to happen is great.”

A date for the works to begin is yet to be announced. :a_goodjob:

Very Happy
Gra

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Re: Cemetery Rescued (well nearly)

Post by barra mick » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:45 pm

Nice work

Bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:03 pm

Good work Gra, persistency pays off, cheers davo :a_goodjob:
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:29 pm

Well done mate

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:33 pm

Nice one mate :thumbsup:

Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Whiskers » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:41 pm

It's history and heritage. It deserves respect.

Kudos to you for caring.
:thumbsup:

Texas

Post by Texas » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:49 pm

Well I just found out that Ballarat cemetery trust has not been looking after the Blue Mountain cemetery for over 1 year.
The CEO has offered to help me with my future hassles with DHHS.
Got to get this sorted before I'm in the ground myself. Think that would suit DHHS imo
Frustrated
Gra

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:49 am

Great work mate.

Texas

Post by Texas » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:59 pm

Hi Graham,

We have just received authority from the department to go in and undertake work at the cemetery to clean it up and spray where needed.

I will advise when the work is completed.  The cemetery is currently within the oversight of Macedon Ranges Council.

Thanks for the instructions on access, I will have to visit as it has been some time.
Kind Regards
Annie

Return to “Off Topic Forum”