NBN plans...

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: NBN plans...

Post by purple5ive » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:01 pm

cobby wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:10 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:54 pm
Thanks guys appreciate the feedback.
Does anyone here have satellite TV like optus fetch or foxtel as part of the NBN deal.
Currently have both optus fetch and foxtel one of those I will cancel eventually.
Also the connection to your house. Can you choose what type or is that dictated by where the nodes are on the network?

Thanks once again..
You can pay more to get fibre to the premises otherwise you'll likely be fibre to the curb (the Telstra pits along the nature strips) with the copper phone wiring doing the rest.

Going through the same thing, currently on the exact same Optus cable deal. Likely going Optus 50/20 unlimited for $70 without the fetch, and purchasing 2 fetch minis outright from JB HiFi for $169 each as i barely use the mightys recording functions nor do I have a 4k capable tv and there's no phone going to be connected either. Current legacy cable costs is $20 less than the NBN plans on offer with exact channel packages on the fetch and all. All it means is should Optus nbn turn to ****, I can keep both fetch boxes without handing them back and move to any nbn provider.

does fibre to the house have any added benefits as opposed to the copper from the kerb connection?

yeah as you i also got the fetch as part of the broadband deal, i didnt realise you can buy the box seperately.
and what is legacy cable?
i need to get up with the times :-D

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:13 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:58 pm
Kimtown wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:02 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Does anyone here have satellite TV like optus fetch or foxtel as part of the NBN deal.
Currently have both optus fetch and foxtel one of those I will cancel eventually.
Also the connection to your house. Can you choose what type or is that dictated by where the nodes are on the network?

Thanks once again..
**** Foxtel off. Waste of money. Everything on there you can find cheaper/free elsewhere.

Connection to house will be massively dependent on the age of the house
i would, but the only reason its there is for the kids programmes, where can you find similar to foxtel for free, i will have to investigate that source.
house is old, 30 years id say...
Not free but Netflix has a gazillion kids programs and a fraction of the price. YouTube plenty has plenty to cater for kids too.

Edit: just recall you said you didn't have a smart TV, do you have a PS3 or 4? Both have Netflix app available, as do a lot of smart boxes like Apple TV and such.

If not, catch up with the times and go get a ******* smart TV already..... You won't regret.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:21 pm

purple5ive wrote:

Thanks once again..
We were with Optus and are still with them, on NBN (free changeover)
Foxtel came out and put a dish on the house. You need IQ for this, they'll try and charge for IQ, just keep pushing
I know we're on unlimited, but I don't know the speed.
My kids don't watch tv (As such) & my son is a gamer. The wife and I are "minor" users
We kept the home phone (All free), but my brother in law couldn't keep his. (In Carrum Downs).
The house is wifi'd so everybody runs off the same connection (I think that's how it works).
Cheers Gra
Btw - my kids are 40 & 43, not 6 or 7
Last edited by Texas on Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:38 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:13 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:58 pm
Kimtown wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:02 pm
purple5ive wrote:

Thanks once again..
**** Foxtel off. Waste of money. Everything on there you can find cheaper/free elsewhere.

Connection to house will be massively dependent on the age of the house
i would, but the only reason its there is for the kids programmes, where can you find similar to foxtel for free, i will have to investigate that source.
house is old, 30 years id say...
Not free but Netflix has a gazillion kids programs and a fraction of the price. YouTube plenty has plenty to cater for kids too.

Edit: just recall you said you didn't have a smart TV, do you have a PS3 or 4? Both have Netflix app available, as do a lot of smart boxes like Apple TV and such.

If not, catch up with the times and go get a ******* smart TV already..... You won't regret.
yep a smart tv is on the list, im just secretly waiting for the kids to hurl something hard enough to take out the current tv.
No PS or anything like that. but i can always get a smart DVD/Blue ray player.

netflix and stan dont have the same type of programs as what Foxtel offers, thats why i still haven't cancelled foxtel

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:49 pm

Texas wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:21 pm
purple5ive wrote:

Thanks once again..
We were with Optus and are still with them, on NBN (free changeover)
Foxtel came out and put a dish on the house. You need IQ for this, they'll try and charge for IQ, just keep pushing
I know we're on unlimited, but I don't know the speed.
My kids don't watch tv (As such) & my son is a gamer. The wife and I are "minor" users
We kept the home phone (All free), but my brother in law couldn't keep his. (In Carrum Downs).
The house is wifi'd so everybody runs off the same connection (I think that's how it works).
Cheers Gra
i already have IQ2 box from foxtel.
The advantage of staying with optus is the free changeover.
I dont have a land line and wont get one.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:40 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:01 pm
cobby wrote:
purple5ive wrote:

Thanks once again..
You can pay more to get fibre to the premises otherwise you'll likely be fibre to the curb (the Telstra pits along the nature strips) with the copper phone wiring doing the rest.

Going through the same thing, currently on the exact same Optus cable deal. Likely going Optus 50/20 unlimited for $70 without the fetch, and purchasing 2 fetch minis outright from JB HiFi for $169 each as i barely use the mightys recording functions nor do I have a 4k capable tv and there's no phone going to be connected either. Current legacy cable costs is $20 less than the NBN plans on offer with exact channel packages on the fetch and all. All it means is should Optus nbn turn to ****, I can keep both fetch boxes without handing them back and move to any nbn provider.

does fibre to the house have any added benefits as opposed to the copper from the kerb connection?

yeah as you i also got the fetch as part of the broadband deal, i didnt realise you can buy the box seperately.
Unless you're right into gaming, transfer large files over the net for work or have a serious need for speed 100mbps+ isn't really needed so the small run of copper won't affect much. And like all government run programs or agencies the costs are seriously inflated to do the fibre upgrades to the premises.

Legacy cable is just an old plan. The comparable current plan is $90p/m. Ditch the Foxtel, buy a fetch box outright from somewhere (jb, good guys, hardly normal), mini if you don't need 4k resolution or recording, mighty if you want them, subscribe to the ultimate channel package on the fetch as that has all of the kids channels foxtel has plus a decent selection of other foxtel channels except sports and HBO, just get dumb tv's as smart tv's arent updated as frequently as the fetch if at all, and get a basic unlimited 50/20 nbn plan from a decent well known provider (Optus, Aussie broadband, Telstra, TPG) that will cost $70-$90 depending on who you go with.

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:14 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:49 pm

Threaten to leave foxtel...

I did and was upgraded to IQ4 with HD, Entertainment, Sport , Foxtel 4K all for $29 pcm.

Youtube is fantastic on a Smart TV!
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:41 pm

I'm with Belong, they've been relatively trouble free so far.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:51 pm

fishingvic wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:14 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:49 pm

Threaten to leave foxtel...

I did and was upgraded to IQ4 with HD, Entertainment, Sport , Foxtel 4K all for $29 pcm.

Youtube is fantastic on a Smart TV!
I did that last year hahah. They put me on $25 for a year with everything I was getting. Now its gone up to 32 or something. Time to call them again!!!

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:59 pm

cobby wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:40 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:01 pm
cobby wrote:
purple5ive wrote:

Thanks once again..

Unless you're right into gaming, transfer large files over the net for work or have a serious need for speed 100mbps+ isn't really needed so the small run of copper won't affect much. And like all government run programs or agencies the costs are seriously inflated to do the fibre upgrades to the premises.

Legacy cable is just an old plan. The comparable current plan is $90p/m. Ditch the Foxtel, buy a fetch box outright from somewhere (jb, good guys, hardly normal), mini if you don't need 4k resolution or recording, mighty if you want them, subscribe to the ultimate channel package on the fetch as that has all of the kids channels foxtel has plus a decent selection of other foxtel channels except sports and HBO, just get dumb tv's as smart tv's arent updated as frequently as the fetch if at all, and get a basic unlimited 50/20 nbn plan from a decent well known provider (Optus, Aussie broadband, Telstra, TPG) that will cost $70-$90 depending on who you go with.

Thanks mr Cobb.

Not much data use from our household.
TV is not 4k or smart capable.
How.much is subscribing to this ultimate channel package cost.

Atm im paying 70 for the broadband including fetch. Plus another 30 or so for foxtel.
Trying to avoid paying for **** I dont need at this stage as been doing that for a good 10 years now and about time I picked what I just want and saved me some $$$

Return to “Off Topic Forum”