NSW kayaker final moments :(

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Re: NSW kayaker final moments :(

Post by Seniorfisho » Thu May 28, 2020 10:23 am

cheaterparts wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:15 am
4liters wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:20 pm

First thing is to not get separated from the kayak. I have a paddle leash that keeps me connected if I'm holding the paddle, and the first thing I grab for if the kayak gets a bit tippy is the paddle because you use it to brace and regain control. Once you get knocked out of the yak and go for a tumble you're still attached via the paddle and can remount and keep going. Worst case I've got the EPRIB attached to the yak (although when conditions get a bit sketchy I clip the PFD to it so if I go over it's with me.

Second thing is to be prepared for long periods of immersion. On fairly warm days I've still got the dry pants on and a couple of thermal long johns under that to keep me warm and wick any water way from my skin. It's no 5mm wetsuit but it extends the time you can be in the water before you die from exposure/hypothermia.
You probably didn’t notice at the last minute Portland comp Ian I now use a leg rope off shore. Since the first paddle challenge we did at metung where it was a requirement for all sit on top and surf skis to use one

I don’t use it though the surf zone which is would be foolhardy So both my paddle and myself are leashed to the yak. You can’t get back on if the wind takes it away

It doesn’t get in the way of fishing or paddling and it might not be everyone’s cup of tea It does work for me though

As for a freak out of wave getting us and tipping for us out That is why we practice deep water re entries. And some of us even practice in the surf zone on surf launch practice days

Kayak fishing has its dangers just as any trips on the top water the plan is to try to cut these dangers down. Having the right equipment is the best place to start

Short fat kayaks are not open water boats. Be that large bays Large lakes or off shore
so, if you are 10 k out in the ocean and you get dumped and even manage a re entry, whats to stop you dying of Hypo on the 10k poaddle back to shore, I'm not against anyone kayaking in the ocean, I'm just saying that the risk of death is real and it's one I'm not prepared to gamble with, but, each to their own

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Thu May 28, 2020 10:25 am

4liters wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:51 pm
Seniorfisho wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:37 pm
Bugatti wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:16 pm
Seniorfisho wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:01 pm

Nothing will help you if you cop a freak wave, they even overturn ships

There are plenty of things that can help you when you cop a freak wave , , , , in any vessel.

Here's a check list of things that can help you:

* Experience
* Being prepared
* Safety Equipment
* Knowing how to use your Safety Equipment
* Common sense
* A calm and level head (as best as possible)

Granted, nothing might help you getting hit by a freak wave BUT there are plenty of things that can help you before that even happens AND plenty of things that can help you after that happens. AND not all of the scenarios mean you end up in the drink or capsized. But if any scenario does mean you are in the drink or capsized, then those same things would still help you.

Regards, Bugatti
The things you mentioned are more for boats and ships, when it's just little old you and the kayak and ocean either hypothermia kills you or you just drown as your kayak could end up a long way from you in the case of a freak wave, you might be able to swim far enough to gather it but highly unlikely, for me, kayaks are meant for rivers and small lakes, but that's just me
How are those things for boats and not kayaks? A kayak can easily carry all the safety equipment a trailer boat can unless you want to start taking those inflatable life rafts out with you.
Having owned both, I would go for the inflatable every day

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Thu May 28, 2020 10:35 am

Problem is if conditions far exceed capability of either kayak or kayaker it doesnt matter whether you can remount or not, its just going to knock you off again and you will become exhausted and its all over.

Those with cheap kayaks are the ones with the least experience and also those very unlikely to have doled out for expensive safety gear...Thats simply the facts.

That said even the most experienced with all the gear can get slowly "boiled alive" as situations slowly get worse and the point at which they should have called it in is exceeded.

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Thu May 28, 2020 10:47 am

Seniorfisho wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:23 am

so, if you are 10 k out in the ocean and you get dumped and even manage a re entry, whats to stop you dying of Hypo on the 10k poaddle back to shore, I'm not against anyone kayaking in the ocean, I'm just saying that the risk of death is real and it's one I'm not prepared to gamble with, but, each to their own
You dont wear gear that is going to freeze you either in the water or once you get back on the kayak. Your point is valid and often missed by many.

Makes me cringe when I see people out there in regular clothes even in the middle of winter. Now that I paddle surf ski this has become evident that getting wet, either by waves or being dumped (even several times) and then continuing the session without freezing is essential...Mind you surf ski wear is expensive but far more suitable than wearing wetsuits which can either be too thick and restrictive or too thin that they dont keep windchill off when out of the water.

Fishbref
Has liked: 41 times

Post by Fishbref » Thu May 28, 2020 10:49 am

Seniorfisho wrote:
cheaterparts wrote:
4liters wrote:

First thing is to not get separated from the kayak. I have a paddle leash that keeps me connected if I'm holding the paddle, and the first thing I grab for if the kayak gets a bit tippy is the paddle because you use it to brace and regain control. Once you get knocked out of the yak and go for a tumble you're still attached via the paddle and can remount and keep going. Worst case I've got the EPRIB attached to the yak (although when conditions get a bit sketchy I clip the PFD to it so if I go over it's with me.

Second thing is to be prepared for long periods of immersion. On fairly warm days I've still got the dry pants on and a couple of thermal long johns under that to keep me warm and wick any water way from my skin. It's no 5mm wetsuit but it extends the time you can be in the water before you die from exposure/hypothermia.
You probably didn’t notice at the last minute Portland comp Ian I now use a leg rope off shore. Since the first paddle challenge we did at metung where it was a requirement for all sit on top and surf skis to use one

I don’t use it though the surf zone which is would be foolhardy So both my paddle and myself are leashed to the yak. You can’t get back on if the wind takes it away

It doesn’t get in the way of fishing or paddling and it might not be everyone’s cup of tea It does work for me though

As for a freak out of wave getting us and tipping for us out That is why we practice deep water re entries. And some of us even practice in the surf zone on surf launch practice days

Kayak fishing has its dangers just as any trips on the top water the plan is to try to cut these dangers down. Having the right equipment is the best place to start

Short fat kayaks are not open water boats. Be that large bays Large lakes or off shore
Agree with this; one foot in the grave heading out...

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu May 28, 2020 11:06 am

purple5ive wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:07 am

why didnt he call 000?
frozenpod wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:43 pm

Odd I hope he tried to call 000.
4liters wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:19 pm

he did bring - a phone - wasn't used properly
VooDoo wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:58 pm

why wasn't 000 called immediately when in trouble

He had a phone

purple5ive wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:07 am

any reason he didnt call for help?
VooDoo wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:58 pm

We will probably never know the answer

There is no mystery as to why this individual didn't call for help. The full video has his answer

In his words on the video , , , ,

"Sitting here thinking, who wants to be an embarrassed fool, to ring marine rescue"

What a shame

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu May 28, 2020 11:17 am

Seniorfisho wrote:

Trust me the paddle back keeps you going warm. But like the other guys I fish with we dress for getting in the water. I had a pair of neoprene dry pants custom made that insulate better than most kayak dry pants under then I can layer up but normally just a pair of thermals are enough. On top thermals and a water proof paddling jacket

Dressing for emersion is just the normal thing to do if you kayak fish and all the gear we use has to be warm when wet. More often that not we get wet even whit out falling in.

As it has been said it’s normally the beginners to the sport that don’t know the risks. These guys haven’t been caught out with weather when the weatherman guesses wrong. Normally hasn’t got the right gear. Is not match fit to Handel the conditions and like any of us can make bad calls on what is safe.
The problem is the less you experienced guys have a smaller window of what is safe
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu May 28, 2020 2:37 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
4liters wrote:

I probably just assume it was the ankle tracking device
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Thu May 28, 2020 2:41 pm

Another important activity to practice is re-entering the kayak with your PFD inflated.

I had practiced several re-entries when I first bought my Outback, the best by far for me was climb over the stern. When I had to do it for real, in cold winter water and an inflated PFD...it didn't go as I had practiced: My inflated PFD made it really difficult to get into the right position to climb up. Because the chest was floating, I couldn't get my upper body over the rudder and would get jagged on the rudder assy. I eventually got up, but it took way longer and far more energy than I had previously experienced.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu May 28, 2020 3:00 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
cheaterparts wrote:
4liters wrote:

Myself and the other kayakers I know have all invested in clothing that keeps you warm even if you get wet. My Stealth sits fairly low in the water (extra stability, yay) so you do get pretty damp even if you stay on, and a long trip without proper clothing will be at best unpleasant and at worst potentially fatal. You tend to get wet launching through the surf too, so from the moment you hit the water you must be prepared to deal with being wet.

I wear two layers of hiking thermals, sometimes more if its really cold. Over my legs I wear drypants which let a little water in but keep the wind out so the water that seeps in doesn't chill me. My top half I'll wear a snowboarding hoodie over my thermals, and a hi vis spray jacket over that to keep the wind out. I still get a little chilly at times but it's nothing that will cause me any significant problems.

Should something happen and those layers aren't enough (maybe I fall out and need to ditch the drypants to remount the kayak - unlikely as that may be) and I do start suffering from hypothermia that's where the radio or EPIRB come in handy as a last resort.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Off Topic Forum”