Calling all PC Nerds!!!

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Calling all PC Nerds!!!

Post by purple5ive » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:45 pm

Ok guys..
In the quest for finding myself an updated gopro I have stumbled across another hurdle.
The newer model gopros all record in HVEC codec which a lot of older PCs cannot handle.

So im now stuck with few options

Keep converting footage from HVEC to older format and then edit (bugger that tbh)
Update to new PC ($$$)
Covert existing PC to newer specs

Last bit im not even sure whether it can be done.
Aka update motherboard and processer and RAM to something latest and leave the tower case and other bare essential as is to save on costs.

Currently running a dinosaur spec Intel i5 650 @ 3.20GHz 3.33GHz and 4GB of RAM

Ideally a newer PC would be the go, but I don’t want to go down that road unless its really needed.

Some educated Suggestions would be great..

Cheers

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Re: Calling all PC Nerds!!!

Post by Kimtown » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:09 pm

Assuming ya motherboard can take it, just slap some more DDR3 RAM in the bad boy (cheap as chips) and keep on converting the cunnys

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/217 ... z-cl9-ddr3

3.2ghz is ample. I still use an old i5 2500k and plenty powerful for what i do.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:13 pm

Just keep in mind if you’re gonna update the board, cpu and ddr4 ram then you’re probably going to want to do ya PSU and case as well. Power is obvious, but a small case will lack fan power and may not promote enough cooling and/or airflow for them components.

i.e just build a whole new computer lol

If you go down that path, lmk I can probably help you build something that’s efficient for your budget

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:27 pm

yeah the RAM upgrade is being done ATM. but i still dont know if thats gong to fix the issue i have
Just doing 8gb for now, and go another 8 if i need to later on

according to gopro

Windows

HEVC is supported on Windows 10 computers using the Intel Kaby Lake (or equivalent) processor and newer.

i dunno if my i5 is compatible or not..

the case is quite decent (Tower), so power and cooling will be ok i think.

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:15 pm

i5-650 uses Clarkdale architecture, it won't support HEVC.
Assuming you're upgrading the CPU, getting a Coffee Lake (Intel's newest architecture) CPU will be the way to go.
Most of the lower spec coffee lake CPU's are LGA1151 and since the i5 650 is 1156 you'll need a upgraded motherboard too.
New PSU and ram like kimtown said are also a good idea, or you could just get a new pc
Last edited by croe04 on Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:17 pm

I just had a guy who trains with me build me a new PC to play Path of Exile and do some basic video editing. Hit me up on fb for details if you decide to go on the new route, he was unbelievably helpful.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:07 pm

croe04 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:15 pm
Assuming you're upgrading the CPU, getting a Coffee Lake (Intel's newest architecture) CPU will be the way to go.
Most of the lower spec coffee lake CPU's are LGA1151 and since the i5 650 is 1156 you'll need a upgraded motherboard too.
New PSU and ram like kimtown said are also a good idea, or you could just get a new pc
ok that pretty much flew over my head..
how much would a new PC cost if i want to enable 4K editing? anyone here do custom builds or know prices?

the new ram and cpu is ideally what id like to get, but how much would these things cost?
anyone have any ball park figures?
i might as well aim for 4k if im doing this.

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:14 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:07 pm
croe04 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:15 pm
ok that pretty much flew over my head..
how much would a new PC cost if i want to enable 4K editing? anyone here do custom builds or know prices?

the new ram and cpu is ideally what id like to get, but how much would these things cost?
anyone have any ball park figures?
i might as well aim for 4k if im doing this.
A budget PC build suitable for 4k editing will be about $900-1400
If you were gonna upgrade your current PC so it's suitable for 4k, a new CPU would be about $280-300, A new motherboard would be about $150 and a stick of 8gb ddr4 ram and new power supply would be $80
In order to handle 4k you'd also need graphics card, you can get a decent one for $250. CPU graphics probably wouldn't handle 4k footage too well and the difference between GPU and no GPU is night and day when it comes to video editing.

saph
Has liked: 4 times

Post by saph » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:18 pm

Do yourself a favour and go new pc, now this may seem like abit of cash but trust me the new ryzen gear gets up and runs away with tasks like video editing and rendering, i can do a 10 minute video in say 7ish minutes and im 2 generations behind and because its ryzen they will throttle themself down nicly for low power use and when needed hit their peak.

While i could build you a list the place i would say to go to is currently not doing build for customers due to demand and for me to get it below a set price i would have to cheap some parts and i hate doing that because it means losing speed or a possible issue later down the line releasing the magic blue smoke (blowing capaciters and possibly killing the whole rig) so i will instead recomend this https://www.pccasegear.com/products/505 ... ing-system its one of their pre-built rigs and is pretty decent and fast.

heres just a quick 10 minute clip render and you can see what my cpu does on the second screen how all the cores kick in for a 7:25 minute render at youtube 1080p preset.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:57 am

DougieK wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:17 pm
I just had a guy who trains with me build me a new PC to play Path of Exile and do some basic video editing. Hit me up on fb for details if you decide to go on the new route, he was unbelievably helpful.
I was a huge Diablo 2 fan growing up, and PoE seems a carbon copy of what Diablo 3 should have been

Never got into it though

Return to “Off Topic Forum”