Esky

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Esky

Post by crumpet_avenger » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:33 am

Apon returning home yesterday from a successful whiting and pinkie trip, i found my esky lid had a massive crack and subsequently a hole in it. Its an old school esky with the handle built in the lid.
Had it for 21 years as I got it as an 18th bday pressie.

Just wondering what peoples preffered esky styles were. I had a look through bcf this morning and was underwhelmed by the choices. Big bulky things with bugger all storage. Flimsy fold out handles...
I want something that can hold a slab for the Aussie day bbq. Also want it to hold ice for more than a day as most of my trips are overnighters.

I use my esky all the time and for 21 years I took it for granted. It was light and a perfect shape to fit 3 rows of cans and stacked 2 high for parties. Bug enough to fit decent 2kg pinkies.

Any recommendations??
Attachments
Resized_20210125_111325_159883777888904.jpeg
Resized_20210125_111336_159911594101185.jpeg

Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

Re: Esky

Post by Trumpeter » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:46 am

I have one of these generic poly eskies approx. 60l capacity, it would be about 8-9 years old now and still like new. Keeps ice up to a few days if shaded. The handles are strong, good SS latches, moulded hinges and makes a sturdy seat but it's really heavy, you need two to carry if full of ice, fish and beers etc. I want to try one of those insulated fish bags which will be a lot easier to handle on the boat.

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:02 pm

I have two that i use depending on the situation.

One is a 33lt Dometic which is square and tall, perfect as a 3rd seat on the boat and also for when i go camping solo.

The other is a 60lt from Bunnings, which i use for longer trips away with the missus in the caravan and for other random events where i need a lot of ice and drinks (BBQs, work golf day etc).

Neither of them are 21 years old, but the are both about 5 years and show no sign breaking down any time soon. I was worried about the steel latches on the Bunnings special rusting, but have not had any problems. They both hold ice for 3 or 4 days easily. And they are both stored outside under the pergola when not in use.
Neither of them are what you would call light for their size.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:36 pm

Love my techni ice, but expensive and doesn’t really fit your requirements as they are bulky af

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:09 pm

I recently got a dometic cool ice box (43L) and very happy with its build and performance.

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:34 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:33 am
Apon returning home yesterday from a successful whiting and pinkie trip, i found my esky lid had a massive crack and subsequently a hole in it. Its an old school esky with the handle built in the lid.

Just wondering what peoples preffered esky styles were. I had a look through bcf this morning and was underwhelmed by the choices. Big bulky things with bugger all storage. Flimsy fold out handles...
I want something that can hold a slab for the Aussie day bbq. Also want it to hold ice for more than a day as most of my trips are overnighters.

I use my esky all the time and for 21 years I took it for granted. It was light and a perfect shape to fit 3 rows of cans and stacked 2 high for parties. Bug enough to fit decent 2kg pinkies.

Any recommendations??
How did you go on the fish mate? How many it must’ve been a few to break the handle on your esky lol

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:12 pm

e.welch wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:34 pm
crumpet_avenger wrote:

Any recommendations??
How did you go on the fish mate? How many it must’ve been a few to break the handle on your esky lol
We did well. All the whiting were between 35 and 49 cm
Pinkies were all 30 to 42 cm.
Wasn't the weight that broke the handle. Think it was just brittle with old age...

Look forward to your charter report
Last edited by crumpet_avenger on Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:00 pm

I use a chiller bag for fish
A cooler bag for frothies
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:08 pm

Check out the esky arctic pros at the green shed. There's a 50L that would fit most of your requirements. And is considerably cheaper than something like a Yeti for similar 24 hour performance

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:06 am

crumpet_avenger wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:12 pm
e.welch wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:34 pm
crumpet_avenger wrote:

Any recommendations??
We did well. All the whiting were between 35 and 49 cm
Pinkies were all 30 to 42 cm.
Wasn't the weight that broke the handle. Think it was just brittle with old age...

Look forward to your charter report
Thanks man but the swells looking bad bro

Return to “Off Topic Forum”