Rocks vs surf

Jewfish, Jewies, Soapies, what an awesome fish to target!
smokin_reels
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:23 pm
Has liked: 285 times
Likes received: 273 times

Re: Rocks vs surf

Post by smokin_reels » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:01 am

Sticking to the topic,
I’d try bobby corking a rock wall with live mullet and have a live mullet on a running sinker or bolt rig on the bottom as well.

Even if you don’t catch a jewie , you may get a metre flathead
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

DougieK
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:19 pm
Location: Glen Waverley
Has liked: 22 times
Likes received: 536 times

Re: Rocks vs surf

Post by DougieK » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:48 pm

smokin_reels wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:45 am

I wound my metal in and it jammed against the tip of the rod. A fish grabbed the metal off the tip and then screamed off, thankfully I managed to stop it before it ran into the walls . Was a proper tug of war.

I've had a couta jump clean onto the exact platform you're talking about chasing a metal there. That place is nuts.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

Open offer for a free hour of self defence with me to any Fishvic member, PM for details.

Season 2020/2021 LBG count.

Kingfish : 1

User avatar
Kimtown
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:29 pm
Has liked: 215 times
Likes received: 247 times

Re: Rocks vs surf

Post by Kimtown » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:51 pm

DougieK wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:23 am
I know you PM'd me but i'll put this up so everyone can see.

The lake at Wonboyn is pretty difficult to fish. I've been down there a few times and never really caught anything.

The Nullica river is sheltered from windy condiitions and full of flathead. Cam landed half a dozen of them there in about 20 minutes. We also used a bait trap to collect a heap of mullet.

The beach out the front I've never fished with any kind of effort.

During a South, South West or Westerly wind, the NORTH side of greencape at pulpit rock is a good spot. During a NW, N or NE wind, the southside at City Rock is a better option. Keep your baits up off the bottom with a balloon or float, city rock is an excellent shark spot while pulpit seems to produce kingfish. Lot's of berley at pulpit is helpful, at city rock if you balloon a salmon head at dusk you are likely to get sharked.

The bay at Bitangabee is full of pike. Small metals in the evening will get you enough chunk baits for the next morning. There are also squid in the area.

The two little beaches at SWC are my favorite fishing spots around that zone. I've probably landed 100 salmon in a day off the rocks that run between the two, and there is almost always a pod of dolphins feeding and playing. The rocks walking to the south drop into some deep water, which there are several spots to the north you can drop down the red stone cliffs and catch some ENORMOUS wrasse and other reef species. Fishing the bottom will see you locked in a battle with a big black stingray in almost no time at all, I've had 4 of them 2m + cruising up and down in front of me while berleying for sharks there.

If none of that suits you, walk out onto Navy Wharf, you can catch literally anything out there.
Thanks mate I knew you would come through with the goods. You are an absolute gentlemen and a scholar.

If you can somehow find time to get away from the fam for the night or 2, there is a camp site with your name on it! I'll even feed you, tuck you into bed and give you a kiss on the forehead :vy:

DougieK
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:19 pm
Location: Glen Waverley
Has liked: 22 times
Likes received: 536 times

Re: Rocks vs surf

Post by DougieK » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:03 pm

smokin_reels wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:01 am
Sticking to the topic,
I’d try bobby corking a rock wall with live mullet and have a live mullet on a running sinker or bolt rig on the bottom as well.

Even if you don’t catch a jewie , you may get a metre flathead
What's a bolt rig?
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

Open offer for a free hour of self defence with me to any Fishvic member, PM for details.

Season 2020/2021 LBG count.

Kingfish : 1

smokin_reels
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:23 pm
Has liked: 285 times
Likes received: 273 times

Re: Rocks vs surf

Post by smokin_reels » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:06 am

DougieK wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:03 pm

What's a bolt rig?
Doug, it’s a way of fishing semi fixed leads.
It’s basically a course fishing technique, that allows you the option of dropping the sinker after the take allowing you to fight the fish freely.
It’s pretty common practice to use the lead tied on variation too.
Even though it’s mostly a carp fishing technique , it’s got some handy used cases. In really snaggy scenarios, you could have the rig on the bottom and drop a rock that was used as the sinker quite easily, allowing the circle hook to work better and then you can fight the freely without obstruction.


https://magazine.anglingactive.co.uk/ho ... -bolt-rig/
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

DougieK
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:19 pm
Location: Glen Waverley
Has liked: 22 times
Likes received: 536 times

Re: Rocks vs surf

Post by DougieK » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:47 am

smokin_reels wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:06 am
DougieK wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:03 pm

What's a bolt rig?
Doug, it’s a way of fishing semi fixed leads.
It’s basically a course fishing technique, that allows you the option of dropping the sinker after the take allowing you to fight the fish freely.
It’s pretty common practice to use the lead tied on variation too.
Even though it’s mostly a carp fishing technique , it’s got some handy used cases. In really snaggy scenarios, you could have the rig on the bottom and drop a rock that was used as the sinker quite easily, allowing the circle hook to work better and then you can fight the freely without obstruction.


https://magazine.anglingactive.co.uk/ho ... -bolt-rig/
That's interesting. I don't think i'lll ever use one but it's a cool technique.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

Open offer for a free hour of self defence with me to any Fishvic member, PM for details.

Season 2020/2021 LBG count.

Kingfish : 1

Bugatti

Re: Rocks vs surf

Post by Bugatti » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:46 am

smokin_reels wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:01 am

bolt rig on the bottom as well.
I like that Smokie, very ingenious.

A bloke I have come to know while Fishing, uses something similar back in Saudi when he visits his family.

There's these Rockwalls, with deep drops that he uses rocks to get the baits past the surface small fry which will follow the baits down and pick the bait to pieces. The heavy rock gets it past them quick enough that they don't follow, then a tug, off comes the rock and left with just the sinker. He just does a loop slip knot, with the slip part being the mainline side.

Cheers, Bugs

AngeloFiedler
New Member
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:36 am

Re: Rocks vs surf

Post by AngeloFiedler » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:14 pm

Redhunter wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:55 pm
Kimtown wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:14 pm
Redhunter wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:50 pm
Or, are you better fishing in a lake/river system for them?
Jews love structure to rub you off on. They're just like kingies in that regard. Personally, I'd look at beaches or rock walls, or the lake systems if the weather is crap. You will have a better chance dusk till dawn too.
Hmmmm.... that narrows absolutely nothing down :rf:

Have you been to green cape / wonboyn area before?
Sorry man, I've never chased them outside of Melbourne. Not that it helps, but I did see a free swimmer under torch light at Narooma near the boat ramp once, cruising the edges. Was a good fish too.

You might just have to do some homework and put some theories into action. You might find it tough to get much info out of any locals.
Hi mate, have you chased Jews recently?
I’ve been trying to catch one, using different baits and lures, but nothing so far.
In regards to baits I’ve only used frozen ones, pilchards and squids as I don’t usually have time to catch live ones.
I’ve been trying at the Wyndham Harbour Rockwall and Barwon river as well.
Any tips?

Thanks

rb85
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:08 pm
Location: The Ocean
Has liked: 351 times
Likes received: 468 times

Re: Rocks vs surf

Post by rb85 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:59 pm

AngeloFiedler wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:14 pm
Redhunter wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:55 pm
Kimtown wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:14 pm
Redhunter wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:50 pm
Or, are you better fishing in a lake/river system for them?
Jews love structure to rub you off on. They're just like kingies in that regard. Personally, I'd look at beaches or rock walls, or the lake systems if the weather is crap. You will have a better chance dusk till dawn too.
Hmmmm.... that narrows absolutely nothing down :rf:

Have you been to green cape / wonboyn area before?
Sorry man, I've never chased them outside of Melbourne. Not that it helps, but I did see a free swimmer under torch light at Narooma near the boat ramp once, cruising the edges. Was a good fish too.

You might just have to do some homework and put some theories into action. You might find it tough to get much info out of any locals.
Hi mate, have you chased Jews recently?
I’ve been trying to catch one, using different baits and lures, but nothing so far.
In regards to baits I’ve only used frozen ones, pilchards and squids as I don’t usually have time to catch live ones.
I’ve been trying at the Wyndham Harbour Rockwall and Barwon river as well.
Any tips?

Thanks
Take the time to get livebait......
Team CBFt does it again...

DougieK
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:19 pm
Location: Glen Waverley
Has liked: 22 times
Likes received: 536 times

Re: Rocks vs surf

Post by DougieK » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:22 pm

rb85 wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:59 pm
Take the time to get livebait......
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

Open offer for a free hour of self defence with me to any Fishvic member, PM for details.

Season 2020/2021 LBG count.

Kingfish : 1

Post Reply

Return to “Mulloway Fishing”