Glenelg River, Nelson - any advice?

Jewfish, Jewies, Soapies, what an awesome fish to target!
Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Glenelg River, Nelson - any advice?

Post by Redhunter » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:04 am

G'day folks,

Been thinking of doing a trip to Nelson and fishing the Glenelg chasing a Jew or 2. I've never been there before so it will be an interesting experience I reckon. The plan would be to concentrate on slow-trolling livies up and down the river with the aid of an electric motor. Salmon if I can get them, otherwise mullet will suffice. According to a bit of research I've done, over the next few months there is a "mullet run" on, and the Jews are close behind smashing through them as they enter and run up the river. Therefore the next few full moons should be peak times of the year to concentrate around I reckon.

I've got a few questions if anyone can please assist...
Has anyone been there and tried this method before?
How much current is there at the entrance, and roughly 5km up river?
What's the rough depth of the river?
There appears to be some deeper holes towards the entrance, which could be ideal areas to anchor up, or have a drift through, with a couple of livies or butterflied baits trailing behind. Am I onto something there?

I've caught many Jews land based over the years, but slow-trolling livies will be a new method for me. If anyone has any pointers or advice on any of the above it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Redhunter

Bugatti

Re: Glenelg River, Nelson - any advice?

Post by Bugatti » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:39 am

Sounds like an awesome trip AND very promising. Hope you get onto a few

Only thing I can add/help with (which you probably know anyway, but putting it out there) is:

Don and I "Bridle Rig" our Livies and using a Circle Hook, when land-based (static) fishing in WestLakes SA, they seem to swim better and last longer. We use a homemade piece of wire bent on itself, seems to work ok.

Bridle 1.PNG

Only thing we both have a difference of opinion on is , if the hook should be neat to the fish's head or out a bit.

Bridle 2.PNG

Bridle 3.PNG

Exciting times in the Redhunter's household , , , , Um , , , , SilverGhosthunter's household :-D

Cheers, Bugatti

mefish
Has liked: 105 times

Post by mefish » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:02 pm

Hi Redhunter,
Great location, contact try Brett at Nelson Boat Hire 08 8738 4048 for local conditions and advice.
Cheers Mefish

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:22 pm

Thanks Bugs, however bait presentation (rigs) isn't really my concern, it's more so the conditions in which I need to present a bait, along with any other tips or techniques for a greenhorn Glenelg River Mully fisho. Every place fishes differently.

I get the impression there are good drop offs up the river, which would be good target areas. Deep drop offs round the 8-10m mark, possibly deeper? (Jews love structure, they create great ambush points).
What's it like closer to the mouth of the river, at the entrance? Would it be seriously worth throwing an array of livies, butterflied baits, and fresh Cala baits, and sitting in an anchored 3.8m tinny from midnight till after the sun comes up, for a week, looking for that elusive 20-25kg+ monster?

Other than Mulloway, Bream, Estuary Perch, Mullet, what other species can I expect to find there? Even if they only come so far into the entrance? Any Salmon, tailor, whiting, flathead?

I respect the fact some fishos don't feel comfortable announcing some info publicly, so feel free to please send me a pm if you'd prefer.
Thanks guys.

Paulanderson
Has liked: 58 times

Post by Paulanderson » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:53 pm

Hi Redhunter

Have a look at the attached satellite map which gives you a good idea of the water conditions close to the entrance. Once you get into the river proper there are large areas of deep water and some quite spectacular cliffs.

Apart from Flathead, recently a Rainbow Trout was caught on the sand flats close to the entrance. A very unlikely catch!

Paul

http://www.maplandia.com/australia/vict ... lg/nelson/

walk the streams

Post by walk the streams » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:16 pm

To the best of my knowledge, there are surprisingly no flathead to be caught there. Despite how good it looks on google, i have never seen nor heard of a single flathead being caught there.
I have caught mulloway, ep's bream and the odd juvenile salmon there.

Return to “Mulloway Fishing”