In search for the Holy Grail by kayak

Jewfish, Jewies, Soapies, what an awesome fish to target!
cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

In search for the Holy Grail by kayak

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:13 am

Mal ,Leejo and Myself had a late night on Westernport searching for the Holy Grail - the trip started at Reef Island for a squid hunt ( not as easy as it sounded ) at 3 pm there was a 15 or so SW wind making the drift fairly quick and I forgot to take a drift chute

anyway I picked up 1 and leejo 2 by about 6.30 and it was time to relocate to Corinella the few squid and some market bought Mullet was going to have to do

Corinella across to our marks only 3.5 - 4 km away was a bit of a slog into quite a quick run out tide but we were on our marks before the low . Low was around 9.30

bait soaking and quite a few sharp bites that seamed like pinkies they must have been small - none caught or hooked up and through the night there were quite a few gummies and one schooly taking my baits --- and of cause a Banjo shark

as for the Mulloway there are still just as many there as we didn't hook any of these silver unicorns --- the by catch was Ok with my 2 keeper Gummies @ 90 and 108 cm over all length

We packed up around 12.30 the tide flow was zipping along by then and the weed was becoming a real pain - it was a fairly slow trip back against the tide flow Leejo had rudder troubles that made his progress slower than normal

got to use the new Corinella cleaning tables around 2 am - had them all to myself at that time in the morning - this Mulloway caper makes for a long day

Must say it was a lovely night on the water the wind dropped right out - so that was our hunt for the Holy Grail till next time and there will be a next time
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: In search for the Holy Grail by kayak

Post by purple5ive » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:40 pm

Keep trying it will eventually happen... they don't call it the unicorn fish for no reason.
If you do hook a westernport monster it will def be very interesting landing it on a yak.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:50 pm

Still doesn’t sound like a bad night on the water.
Nice by catch.
Hopefully next time you hook and land one :)
Cheers :tu:

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:25 pm

Won’t be any harder than pulling in an eagle ray purp.

But it will be bloody awesome. Good luck mate

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:25 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:13 am
Mal ,Leejo and Myself had a late night on Westernport searching for the Holy Grail - the trip started at Reef Island for a squid hunt ( not as easy as it sounded ) at 3 pm there was a 15 or so SW wind making the drift fairly quick and I forgot to take a drift chute

anyway I picked up 1 and leejo 2 by about 6.30 and it was time to relocate to Corinella the few squid and some market bought Mullet was going to have to do

Corinella across to our marks only 3.5 - 4 km away was a bit of a slog into quite a quick run out tide but we were on our marks before the low . Low was around 9.30

bait soaking and quite a few sharp bites that seamed like pinkies they must have been small - none caught or hooked up and through the night there were quite a few gummies and one schooly taking my baits --- and of cause a Banjo shark

as for the Mulloway there are still just as many there as we didn't hook any of these silver unicorns --- the by catch was Ok with my 2 keeper Gummies @ 90 and 108 cm over all length

We packed up around 12.30 the tide flow was zipping along by then and the weed was becoming a real pain - it was a fairly slow trip back against the tide flow Leejo had rudder troubles that made his progress slower than normal

got to use the new Corinella cleaning tables around 2 am - had them all to myself at that time in the morning - this Mulloway caper makes for a long day

Must say it was a lovely night on the water the wind dropped right out - so that was our hunt for the Holy Grail till next time and there will be a next time
Nice gummies.
When you're done with the trailer, I'll come visit with my yak and we should fish reef island or Coronet bay! Seeking your guidance o' Cheaterparts master of western port. :nw:
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Expomnowcon
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Expomnowcon » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:29 am

Take your kayak around patto, I've seen a new report every day for the last week now from there

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:02 pm

Expomnowcon wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:29 am
Take your kayak around patto, I've seen a new report every day for the last week now from there
Cheater is allergic to that bay I think
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Expomnowcon
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Expomnowcon » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:33 pm

4liters wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:02 pm
Expomnowcon wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:29 am
Cheater is allergic to that bay I think
haha yeah that's fair

Return to “Mulloway Fishing”