docklands mulloway

Jewfish, Jewies, Soapies, what an awesome fish to target!
Pelican

Re: docklands mulloway

Post by Pelican » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:10 pm

Great read all. Iv seen a vid on you tube of a guy getting a 9kg jewie on the yarra near the punt road bridge is this common or just a one off? I live walking distance never given fishing for Jews Mutch thought but if its at my front door might give it a go?

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:24 pm

G'day Pelican!
Nah, not uncommon mate. Just not regularly talked about by the pros who pursue them.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:31 pm

Very well put my dear friend...
Ps- i wouldnt fish the yarra on my own or recomend anyone do that either, always take someone with you its not the safest place to fish specially at night
i will reflect what has been said abut the first run, it can scare the **** out of you if they are a big fish, after that you have some chance if your not spooled yet
also, wait for the fish to lie on its side in the water, thats an indication that its finished doing its massive runs and has given up. (there have been some instances where its taken off again but usually not the case)
i would love to just plain come and watch this guy in action, but that would mean giving away your spots,lol
theres something about watching a guy battling a nice fish, makes my day even if i never had a nibble the whole day..
Thanks for giving up so much valuable info mate, lots of info to get people going now for some jewie action.. you deserve a PB for this
cheers

Pelican

Post by Pelican » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:48 pm

I'm not a gun fisho but the sound of walking two blocks down the road and having a chance at one sounds good if not just sitting having some tins. Purple 5ive what do you mean it's not safe?

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Post by raco09 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:06 pm

Plenty of weirdos hanging round that part of town bro.
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:07 pm

He means the general population around the Yarra at night.

Bloody great read fellas. Hats off to you

Cuda
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Cuda » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:27 pm

Redhunter sounds like a good guy and a great jew fisherman. Very different techniques to what I used to use on mulloway (don't fish for them that much down here in Vic), but they make sense. The only thing I wouldn't do is use a circle hook on a livie. Very often they get stuck back into the livie (when pinned in the shoulders, which is how I rig them), and kill it very prematurely.
The other guy is also right about them turning on their side when they're not planning on giving you any more fun!
Pitty lots of people say it's unsafe to fish Yarra at night. IS it the Docklands area you refer to, or areas around the WG bridge and that?

Pelican

Post by Pelican » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:56 pm

Yeah fair enough bout the weirdos that's what I was thinking. Just making sure there's no water rats the size of Rottweilers I should know about

Redhunter

Post by Redhunter » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:21 pm

G'day all!

I must say a very BIG thank-you for all your kind comments. It means alot.
Every area fishes differently, for different reasons, but these are simply some techniques that I have defined that work for me in that specific area. There are no "right" or "wrong" ways, just that some ways are much more effective than others. In other words, there are no set rules to the game of fishing, however some techniques will produce much more regularly than others. It's about bringing down the odds.
Yes, the metro areas after dark can be dangerous areas at times. Too many nuff-nuffs, especially around that full moon period. Lol. I could tell you a few stories of things I have seen or been involved in, but I don't want to scare people. The key is to have company, stick to yourselves, and keep a close eye over your shoulder at all times.
Is under the westgate safer than the docks, or vice-versa? The answer is no. They can both be dodgy places at times.

Cheers.

Redhunter

Post by Redhunter » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:27 pm

Water rats? Lol. Plenty of those buck-toothed buggers around.
Not quite the size of Rottweilers, but closer to a Jack Russell :)

Return to “Mulloway Fishing”