Kayak trolling

daaaaavid123

Kayak trolling

Post by daaaaavid123 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:30 pm

Hi fellow Yakers,

Was out over the weekend, what perfect weather!! Hopefully next weekend is the same.

I tried for some squid around Mornington and black rock and a bagged a few.

I saw some guys trolling for flatties, I gave it a go and came up with nothing.

Is there a technique to trolling soft plastics? A particular speed to travel or weight jig head to use?

The others were getting onto a few but I didn't even get a single hit.

Any advice would be great.

Are there any good place to target flatties around brighton - black rock where it's easy to launch a yak?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Jeff67

Re: Kayak trolling

Post by Jeff67 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:22 pm

I troll with most success in 5m with a lure that dives 4m and around 80-100mm, my favourite is the Sebille rattsler VLL 85mm in silver, purple is another good colour. I find trolling the same way the tide is going produces more fish the must face into the tide to ambush prey, try between Patterson lakes & Frankston or similair areas where you mentioned.
Not sure on trolling soft plastics but I'd think you need a bit heavier jig head to stop it aqua planing.
Cheers

Sent from my HTC_0PFJ50 using Tapatalk

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Kayak trolling

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:28 am

I've always found you need what ever you troll to be hitting the bottom
flathead have the censors along there lateral line laying on the sand and can pick up things like small fish feeding on the bottom near them
having the trolled lure touching the bottom gets there attention

same as bait fishing for flat head works better with the sinker bouncing on the bottom

I've used Rapala taildancers with some success along the north cliffs as safety bay colour is not as important as having the lure hitting the bottom

and another time in about 1.2 meter at Mothers beach in Mornington with a shallower diver again hitting the bottom on the troll
picked up a few over 40 cm
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “Kayak Fishing”